Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right volume 34 years old intermediate surfer

Hi guys,

I'm an Italian 34 years old intermediate (I guess :) ) surfer and I have just ordered a 5 10 Hellfire.
    I m 1,70 cm and I weight 67 kg, fit I reckon.

Being the board 29,4 liters I was wondering if the volume I have chosen it is the right one to help me improving my surf or if maybe it is too much volume for my weight.

I have been surfing for 4 years now but being honest just since august 2012, after moving to Portugal, I have been surfing pretty much every day and I have started improving my surf.
    I have been surfing with my first short board for 8 months (a Pyzel, Pyzalien 5 10 19 2 1/4 28,5 liters) and with it I have started pumping for speed, doing my first cutbacks and trying some rientry (those are the only things I'm able to do). I surf normally waves from 2 feet until 6 and this surfboard was handling this kind of conditions.
    I have ordered the Hellfire 5 10 considering my age and my level but after reading your older post about the Hellfire and after trying a surfboard Lost V2 rocket 5 8 (that was 29,6 l) I thought that I have maybe done the wrong things because I saw that firewire users of my weight in this community are using the hellfire 5 8.

Do you think that this surfboard, even if I weight 67 kg, considering my age and my level, can help meto improve my surf and to start doing some real off the lip and carve :) or I should go for something with less volume?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers guys and good surf to all of you.

Carlo

Think 5.8 is a safer bet for 67 kg especially if you want it for the better days and you have an other board to cover small and weak waves.You can try also volume calculator to find your optimum volume.If V2 with 29.6 l is ok for you you can go with HF 5.10 29.4 for one board quiver because is more performance.Good luck.

Comment

Here is the link to that volume calculator that Custom mentioned: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...olume_calc.php
      Because you already ordered the board, you might want to wait to see how it looks/ feels in your hand before you decide if it's too big for you. The difference between the 508 and 510 is only 2 liters so its a personal preference.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

carlo, Nev rides the 510 hellfire at 69kg... you will love it.. if you shred then you could drop a size, but Nev shreds the 510 with futures sa3's in it... i ride it too, with sa3's at 90kg .. the volume is hidden very effectively with nice sensitive rails with hold and bite... this is what you normally lose when you go with too much volume.... this will feel very lively under your feet... if you want it to feel easier to flick around under your feet while getting used to it in smaller stuff, you might like the ea fins..(dont get the stiffer techflex or glass).. alternatively, and this would be my recommendation, get a firewire deviant rear fin to get all loosey goosey... soooooo much fun

Comment

i lend mine out for guys to demo all the time... more than any other board, this raises surfers performance within 2-3 waves.. light guys, heavy guys, intermediate or sponsored.. all are stoked and most get one... i love seeing them give me a spray while flying past me grinning ear to ear... such a great board... although this 506 vanguard is blowing my mind at the moment..!!

Comment

Thanks guys for your tips. Core the board that I ordered got an FCS fins system. Could you please suggest me some good quad setup FCS or some good fins that can help me as the Futures Fins you were speaking about? Do you think that ride the surfboard as a quad can help me? I have never ridden a quad. I m not an expert in fins and the only one I have been using are the FCS AM 2. Thanks in advance

Comment

i dont like 4 fins as a rule... fast down the line but you give up so much for that.. backhand they are particularly problematic... some guys swear by them, but when i watch them surf they are so restricted and miss out on real turns... yes, they make sections a bit easier, but usually only because they dont get vertical turns in... i'll get lots of flack for speaking out like that, but for most guys thats how it works out... and even pros only use them if they need to go straight and fast... and most dont even bother then... i found the fourfin "sa4" set up a little big in the HF... if i could be bothered with four fins i would try the stretch set in it...?? as for three fins... there are simon fins in fcs..i think maybe a couple of sizes??... see if you can go to a shop and hold them up against the futures sa3 and see if any match up.. otherwise hold up other large but neutral (not swept) templates against the sa3's... the am2's you have in fcs are the smaller template.. try them instead of the ea template i mentioned as your start point... you might be happy with that... then find a sa3 style later.... .. i have tried the larger am fins in this board and they are a bit too raked for it... some guys like them in it, but i dont think they have tried the sa3 to compare... i have, and i notice the restriction from the larger am raked fin... your am fins will probably be a little "underpowered" in the board given its tail area... but fine in small stuff to start...very maneuverable... so feel it out and then add some extra fin area afterwards... maybe the fcs standard large 7 fin template would work.. its a neutral shape that will add a bit more depth and tip area if the fcs simons are not the same.. get honeycomb (PC) fins, not cheap plastic ones...

Comment

keep asking questions if you need anything else...

Comment

Thanks anyway who is Nev?? :)

Comment

• core personal training
                    Editing a comment
                    just some frothing ginger kook from the Gold Coast :) but really, he has been responsible for more innovation in the surfboard industry (not just shaping itself) than pretty much anyone else...

Originally posted by carlosanneris View Post
                  Thanks anyway who is Nev?? :)
                  LOL the designer of the Hellfire! This guy:

Comment

Originally posted by carlosanneris View Post
                    Thanks guys for your tips. Core the board that I ordered got an FCS fins system. Could you please suggest me some good quad setup FCS or some good fins that can help me as the Futures Fins you were speaking about? Do you think that ride the surfboard as a quad can help me? I have never ridden a quad. I m not an expert in fins and the only one I have been using are the FCS AM 2. Thanks in advance
                    I am using my 6'2 Hellfire as a quad using FCS PC Rusty R2 fins. These work great for me but they might be a little big for you. The H3 Nexus quads in a medium or the Stretch tri-quad set might be the go for you and you can switch back to a thruster when it gets bigger. I find it just gets a bit too quick as a quad when it starts to get bigger and can skip about a bit - the tail is still pretty wide and thick. TC Aqualine tri-quad might also be very good too. In all cases I am talking about the PC versions: no plastic fins!

Unlike Core I love quad set ups and "normally" don't feel I am losing any ability to go vertical, at least not with the hellfire, some other boards I have felt this loss of being able to pivot. The hellrazor is one example, it is still good but as a thruster it is better, more pivot and control.

Comment

Hi Slowman did you try H3 Nexus as a thruster ? I am interesting to buy a new set for my spitfire 5.8 and think H3 large thruster with H3 rear so i can try also as a quad.

Comment

Hi Custom, yes I have tried the Large H3 Nexus as a thruster in my 5'8 Vanguard, 6'8 Aloha AF2 and 6'2 JK. In the VG it seemed to slide too much and lack drive. In the AF2 it was pretty good and I used that over in Indo. In the JK it wasn't too bad but just not enough drive, it wasn't too bad, just very neutral and not the feeling I was looking for. I'll test H3 thruster in my Hellrazor at some point.

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                        Unlike Core I love quad set ups and "normally" don't feel I am losing any ability to go vertical, at least not with the hellfire, some other boards I have felt this loss of being able to pivot. The hellrazor is one example, it is still good but as a thruster it is better, more pivot and control.
                        Often a knubster type fin will give you the best of both worlds with quads. I found this especially so with the spitfire. I found my spitfire as a quad was too loose and slid around a bit out of control. You get the control and pivot back though not always, sometimes it just seems to stiffens things up, like in the JK and also in my Hellrazor, both of which have fairly refined rails and plenty of bite.

Comment

Hi guys, I finally got my Firewire surfboard but after reading all the volume topics I decided to take the 5 9 Chubby Chedda (27,5 liters) instead of the 5 10 Hellfire and after trying it the last weekend I can say without any doubt that I'm super stoked with it.
                          Also the owner of the surf shop suggested me to take a board with less liters than the 5 10 Hellfire coz of my weight and because he told me that the Firewire is floating more and he was right.
                          I surfed on friday 2 feet waves and I found really easy to paddle with the Chubby Chedda and really easy to catch waves. Also reducing the rails volume (the board is 5 9 19 1/4 2 5/16) helps me to do manouvers and put the board "where I want". The board keep speed even when the waves are getting flatter and also it helped me to stay in the waves even if I was doing some mistakes trying manouvers.
                          I surfed on saturday and sunday 5 feet amazing waves with light off shore wind (lucky me) and I just found the surfboard amazing. I finally was able to do some good off the lip, my firsts carving manouvers and :) I can honestly said that I took my best waves with it since I have been surfing.
                          This surfboard then looks like can handle amazing everything within 2 to 5 feet, maybe more ?
                          I would suggest it to everyone than is looking for an all around surfboard.
                          Thanks anyway for all your advices. I reckon that reading this posts his really useful to understand how to choose the right surfboard.

Good waves to all of you :)

Comment

Working...
                          X