Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire - Vanguard- Unibrow - FST Mini Driver

Hey everyone,

I've been riding a 6'0 Hellfire (I'm 6'2 and 80kg) now for 2 years and it is simply the best board I have ever had. I'm in Bali now for a year and am looking for a second board for the better more solid overhead days. Originally I had decided on the FST Mini Driver but unfortunately I canít get them here. Ripcurl Bali have however just bought in a new shipment of Firewires and they have the Unibrow and Vanguard in stock. Anyone got any thoughts on the Unibrow in steeper/barrelling waves vs the Hellfiire (or are they too similar) or riding the Vanguard in Bali type conditions? Thanks heaps.

hmmm, minni driver would be the pick of the bunch... but, I think (from specs etc) that the unibrow will be too similar to the hellfire... You should look at a Hellrazor or possibly a michel Bourez model.

Comment

or you could check out the vanguard or V4... supposed to be excellent boards... is there a test ride centre around there?

Comment

I am heading to Bali soon with a 6'0' MD in the bag. I have sent you a personal message with more details. Let me know.

Comment

Thanks Sarge. Have fired you a message back.

Comment

The Vanguard excels in solid overhead surf. I would definitely recommend that board! That or the Bourez (as Justo mentioned).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB9SgPy9Fbc

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Try the Hf with larger fins, or as a twin fin, the extra hold and speed is amazing, I have other boards, Hf is easily still the beat

Comment

I would agree that the Vanguard goes great in solid overhead surf. Not so sure on the MB for that kind of size unless you are one kick down the doors kind of surfer. From my experience it starts to get very flighty in 6 foot ground swell reef breaks. For me the only question on the VG is that it's rapidfire and not fst in terms of its durability. My vote is MD or VG.

Comment

• Cooper
                  Cooper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep - got put off the Vanguard until it comes out in FST as I just saw a snapped rapidfire looking very sad for itself on the shop floor.

VG would be a fun board, but I'll wait till FST or timbertek for the strength.

Comment

I walked into Ripcurl Bali last Sunday, saw they had a Vanguard 5'8 as a demo. Thought why not and took it out the next day. It was only small 2ft surf but right from the get go I knew I'd love this board. So went back to Ripcurl that day an bought me one. It's the first Rapidfire Firewire I've had and hopefully it lasts but I simply couldn't resist the Vanguard as it puts a smile on your face and makes an old bugger like me feel like a grommet again. Couldn't recommend trying or buying one more. Thanks for all the posts and Sarge if you're up here next week there's some solid surf on the way...

Comment

Yep. Flight is Tuesday, but go straight to Ubud. Then Balian from arvo of the 8th- 13th Sept. I reckon (surfing term for 'hope') that is just in time for the next swell. If you head up that way I'll be the guy with the stripey board. (Mine all look the same). Rode my VG this morning and it is such a fun board.

Comment

By the way - the Tomo Vanguard lasted all of 3 weeks. Snapped it in pretty average 3ft surf just puuling through a closeout. An expensive lesson in buying my first RF Firewire and a real shame because I loved the Vanguard but definitely wouldn't buy one unless it comes out in FST...

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's not good. Have you been in touch with Chris?
                    Working...
                    X