X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Riding PU boards in their quiver

I've been on Firewires for a bit riding a spitfire and baked potato. I'm getting some overlap in the quiver mainly because the spitfire doesn't handle steeper larger surf. I was considering picking up a hellfire but after a trip to the shop thinking of having a traditional (with some personal and local mods) thruster shaped for me. The shaper is good and is 1/1 in making exactly what I was asking for. Has anyone gone back to PU and regretted it? Thoughts....

Firewire FST is my favorite tech by far but you can't always get the shapes that you want so:

-I purchased Lost Mini Drive in Hydroflex Natural and I put pressure dings on every inch of that board within about 6 months. Sold it real cheap.
    -I purchased a Tomo CyberSim in XTR. First it bubbled, then it broke in 3ft shore break. Lasted 2 months.
    -I won't buy PU, it's like paying $500-$600 for a marshmellow. I would kill it in about 3 months.
    -I switch boards with my friends often. They love their PUs. I'm only allowed to do floaters on their boards.

Comment

I ride both. My daily driver is an FST mini driver which has a few dings but nothing major. I have a pu lost rock up as my step up board from the mini. I also have a really old battered round nose fish which is good fun but not as much as my baked spud. I think Fw should add more boards to the cbt or offer more twiner sizes. It would be amazing if they made more of there on board shapers ex LSD lost Tomo etc shapes. I would have preferred a FST rock up for shura.

Comment

I have one PU board from back in the day when that's all I rode. After riding Firewires, however, PU boards do not stand a chance. From a durability, longevity, and lightness perspective, Firewire technology is unbeatable. No PU board comes close, and that is why I made the switch.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

i'm with Josh BL there... couple of old rhino's that i trust (and have survived), but i dont chase mountains anymore so they dont get wet anyway... cant beat the liveliness of a rapidfire....even if i jump on a pro's board, they feel spongy by comparison.... they dont have anywhere near as much rebound in the flex...and then you put ya foot through them..!!

Comment

I would agree until they hit a reef and you bust a hole in them. They suck up water quicker than I can hover a pint of Guinness and I am Irish. I feel until we can make the core heart of a surfboard with water repelling material we are still stuck in the same old rutt. Eco board aside and all that. Don't get me wrong I am a FST whore as much as the rest but having to leave a board hanging to let all the water drain out for a week or so prior to repairs sucks. And before all the take it to your local surf shop. I say visit Thurso and you will understand.

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              XTR XPS etc are closed cell, water proof foams. The resin doesn't attach to the foam as well because it can't soak in so they are more prone to delaminations. Swings and roundabouts

• pmorgan
              pmorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              It seems to be one or the other with boards . You get great durability with the FST but its a pain having to dry them out. My mate has and XTR core fred rubble but it does not seem near as durable its full of deck compressions and dings with yellow patches which begs the question how waterproof this foam is. The 3d glassing that hydroflex do looks interesting tho.

Ive hade boards from global surf in I believe XPS. Not only did the FCS fin plugs fall out in a small swell without hitting the bottom in one but all the boards turned yellow in storage and I had to almost give them away to move them on Thats one reason why I changed to firewire if you get a good shape with a genuine good PU glass job they will last however the weight is another thing and it means a local shaper you can trust

Comment

• Goofyfoot1
              Goofyfoot1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Custom ordered a 6'6" CI Neckbeard in there "gun glass" poly. Rode it 6 months and it looks like a hammer attacked the deck. I have purchased a 6'6" potatonator to replace it. NO damage in a year. I own eight Firewire products and can report the same durability on all of them. I'm 215 lbs and 65 years old. Why go backwards in technology? In 52 years of surfing, Firewire has answered all my needs surfing Oregon surf daily.

Custom ordered a 6'6" CI Neckbeard in their "gun glass" poly. Rode it 6 months and it looks like a hammer attacked the deck. I have purchased a 6'6" potatonator to replace it. NO damage in a year. I own eight Firewire products and can report the same durability on all of them. I'm 215 lbs and 65 years old. Why go backwards in technology? In 52 years of surfing, Firewire has answered all my needs surfing Oregon surf daily.
            Last edited by Goofyfoot1; 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I have one PU board which I've surfed a lot lately as my Dom has been 3 weeks in repair drying out. I totally agree with frustrations around the water sucking properties if EPS. Fix that and Firewiresurfboards becomes perfect. I like the PU board. It's designed for me. It's well constructed and durable. It's a lot heavier than a FireWire though. It forces me to surf more powerfully. Not that I'm flicky but the light weight of a FireWire allows you to throw the board at a lip without necessarily having put in a full rail turn to get it there. I can't do that on my traditional board.

Comment

I surf a PU 10' longboard for either the super small days or the 600 yard paddle to the middle of a bay for some rare 300+ yard rides. The weight does help cut through the junk and the long paddles.. Other than that, it's FST or Surftech. So much tougher, and FST I believe solved the stiffness problem of Surftechs. I've played a bit with Libtech but they make Surftechs feel like a rubber band they are so stiff...

Comment

Working...
                X