X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new board

I have a 5'8" dominator, 6'0" bourez thin and a old version of a 6'0" quadraflex( I think the volume on it is 27liters). There is overlap but I feel like it is in a good way. The old quadraflex is super low volume and I really want a 5 fin option and its getting pretty old and beat up, still surfs great. I feel like the quadraflex is a great inbetween board for the bourez and the dom as it still grovels fairly well and handles good waves too.

So I think I want to replace the quadraflex with something that will go well at all the waves at trestles when maybe its still not good enough for the bourez but the dominator is holding me back a little as far as making me surf a little more conservative than I would like to. Don't get me wrong the dom is great in so many conditions and the Bourez goes well but at trestles there is a point when the waves start to get better but they can still be very racey and down the line with some soft sections. On the dom I feel like it handles it well except when I go really vertical or warp a hard cut back in the pocket. On the better waves I have felt the dom get in my way in the cut back and I have fallen. At the same time I feel like the bourez at times just doesn't have the speed I need to link sections at uppers middles and church unless I surf it perfectly. I'm getting better on it as i have really focused on getting my legs stronger all my turns and driving on rail is getting better and easier even though I felt like my legs where strong to begin with, they were not as strong as I thought, being 37 sneaks up on you but I'm def in much better shape than last year and my surfing is much better for it.

So does the hellfire fit the bill for that? I'm 5'10" 180 pounds and i'm in good shape. Any thoughts would be great, Im not stuck on getting a hellfire so if you guys think something else in the range would be better please let me know, thanks again

All just add i'm not against getting a quadra five but just trying to sort all this out still.

Comment

Adding again lol, would the hell razor be a better choice? This board will be for chest high to overhead plus when the waves are decent to good. I always get on well on the quadraflex in those conditions and found that as long as there is some kind of a pocket the quadraflex will go even in waist high surf.

Comment

The Hellrazor will probably give you a similar ride to the Quadraflex, though its still pretty refined. For Trestles and SD county waves you might prefer something with a touch more volume. If you are in the area take a look at the Pyzalien at one of the dealers nearby. That board offers great versatility and performance and everyone in-house loves it in local waves. The Quadraflex, Flexfire, and some of those older models have that pseudo refined feel and the industry has definitely gone towards these slightly fuller modern shapes that are a blast. Pyzel added a bit of curve to the tail of this one too so it performs admirably in steeper stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          The Hellrazor will probably give you a similar ride to the Quadraflex, though its still pretty refined. For Trestles and SD county waves you might prefer something with a touch more volume. If you are in the area take a look at the Pyzalien at one of the dealers nearby. That board offers great versatility and performance and everyone in-house loves it in local waves. The Quadraflex, Flexfire, and some of those older models have that pseudo refined feel and the industry has definitely gone towards these slightly fuller modern shapes that are a blast. Pyzel added a bit of curve to the tail of this one too so it performs admirably in steeper stuff.
          I just had a 5'10" in my hands and it felt amazing. I also surfed my quadraflex today and it went insane for me as always. I can't wait to get this board! It has that extra width in the tail like the quadraflex that helps with the grovel but it looks like it will go vert no problem.

Comment

Quick question chris, should I go with a 5'10" or a 5'11"? I'm 5'10" and I bounce between 175 and 180. I'm 37 but still a strong paddler. I have a long torso and short legs for my height. This board will be probably one of my main boards once I get it along with my 5'8" dominator. I just rechecked an old thread and my quadraflex is 26.9 liters, i have a bourez 6'0" thin that works great in good waves, chest high and bigger with good shape.

Comment

I guess what I shoud ask is at 5'10" 28.4 liters how will the pyz feel paddle, ride wise compared to my 26.9 liter quadraflex 6'0"?

Comment

Seeing how we are talking about the pyz feel free to move this thread to possible help others looking at the pyz.

Comment

Working...
                X