Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either the 5'8" or 5'10" will work. You should lean toward the '10" if you're a particularly weak paddler and/or the waves are consistently weak and small. Otherwise the '8" is the way to go.

Comment

The 10 will have a small advantage in tiny conditions, especially if you like the board to do the work. If you can generate speed well by moving the board around then the 5'8" will have an advantage because the smaller board will be slightly easier to make small adjustments with.
      Once you start taking the thing out on headhigh plus days having the smaller size becomes pretty important too I think.
      I started in a 5'10" and moved down to a 5'8" because of this. Then considered setting down again to a 5'6"...

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
        The 10 will have a small advantage in tiny conditions, especially if you like the board to do the work. If you can generate speed well by moving the board around then the 5'8" will have an advantage because the smaller board will be slightly easier to make small adjustments with.
        Once you start taking the thing out on headhigh plus days having the smaller size becomes pretty important too I think.
        I started in a 5'10" and moved down to a 5'8" because of this. Then considered setting down again to a 5'6"...
        Why do you think the smaller size for headhigh plus? wouldnt the added length of the 5'10 add a bit more stability? Thanks!

I paddle the 6'3 Flexfire fine and the volume on that is 28.2
        The spitfire 5'8 volume is 30. On the 5'10 33.
        Iv been riding the flexfire in quite alot of conditions from 2-6ft lately..I dont find it that hard to get it going in the smaller stuff. I just surf it rail to rail and do lots of turns.
        I havnt rode my other 5'10 for a bit, but it has more volume than the FF. Although I do remember getting stuck on the lip fairly often with it..could be positioning or not taking that last paddle stroke.

Is it volume or length which makes ease of paddling..

Im leaning towards the 5'8 as it sounds like if i get the 5'10 I will probably want to move down to the 5'8 not long after. Just afraid of losing wave time.
        Last edited by Will.; 03-28-2012, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will. View Post
          Why do you think the smaller size for headhigh plus? wouldnt the added length of the 5'10 add a bit more stability? Thanks!

I paddle the 6'3 Flexfire fine and the volume on that is 28.2
          The spitfire 5'8 volume is 30. On the 5'10 33.
          Iv been riding the flexfire in quite alot of conditions from 2-6ft lately..I dont find it that hard to get it going in the smaller stuff. I just surf it rail to rail and do lots of turns.
          I havnt rode my other 5'10 for a bit, but it has more volume than the FF. Although I do remember getting stuck on the lip fairly often with it..could be positioning or not taking that last paddle stroke.

Is it volume or length which makes ease of paddling..

Im leaning towards the 5'8 as it sounds like if i get the 5'10 I will probably want to move down to the 5'8 not long after. Just afraid of losing wave time.
          Hey Will for the looks of it it seems like "you have been around the block", so my suggestion would be the 5'8"
          As far as the ease of paddling goes, is a mix of both, AND the plane surface AND entry rocker
          Ifo you didn't find the flex fire hard to paddle then the Spit will paddle itself

Comment

I find once you start using them in bigger surf the plus sizes start to feel too floaty to have full control at speed. If you want to turn hard and sink the rail going fast on a good sized wave then the smaller size is best, if you want to catch everything in sight and have the easiest ride on smaller stuff, go with the bigger size.
            That's my opinion at least.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
              Hey Will for the looks of it it seems like "you have been around the block", so my suggestion would be the 5'8"
              As far as the ease of paddling goes, is a mix of both, AND the plane surface AND entry rocker
              Ifo you didn't find the flex fire hard to paddle then the Spit will paddle itself
              Havnt quite been around the block, iv only been surfing for around 2 years but go everytime there are waves. Id just say im average. How do you find it paddling your 5'8 Spit compared to your 6'2 FF ?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

5'8" Spitfire paddles like a machine. Paddles better than my 6'2" Taj, 6'0" CBD Taj, 5'8" Sub Scorcher and basically every other board I've owned or ridden under 7'6" except a 5'10" Dominator and Sweet Potato.

Comment

Ok, here's my theory for you. 5'8" is 80-90% likely the right choice. You can get that with a small chance it's the wrong one. If so you enjoy it for a little while and ebay it to fund a new board. You'd lose no more than $200 in the whole process if the small chance its the wrong size was proved right. Or you can get the 5'10" if you're feeling particularly cautious, have an 80% chance you'll find it a tad too big, surf it for a while, and then ebay it to fund the purchase of the 5'8" at an additional cost of no more than $200 (whatever that is in pounds).

I guess my point is there's really not a super downside to picking the wrong size, which is incremental anyway.

Comment

good stuff buzzy. i like numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      good stuff buzzy. i like numbers.
                      What would you say chris im same kind of height as you 5'11-6'0 but about 69kgs/152lbs ( just jumped on the scales, bit more than 66kgs that a previously mentioned ), also forgot to mention would be in a wetsuit etc aswell which would add a bit.

All you guys have really given me loads of great advice, really appreciate it. Im leaning towards 5'8 after all youv said.

Comment

for your weight and ability, I think you'd be happiest on the 508 Spitfire or Dominator and the 510 Hellfire....

Comment

What FCS setup would you guys recommend ?

Comment

Are you looking at quads or thruster?
                            Quad, I think a great starting point is the SF4 set. From there you can identify what you like about that set and what you'd want to change. Otherwise it's just stabbing in the dark.
                            Thruster wise, I think the same could be said for the PC5s. A good all round and neutral template. From there if you want more release or more hold or drive etc it's easier to make recommendations.
                            What fins do you current have at your disposal?

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                              Are you looking at quads or thruster?
                              Quad, I think a great starting point is the SF4 set. From there you can identify what you like about that set and what you'd want to change. Otherwise it's just stabbing in the dark.
                              Thruster wise, I think the same could be said for the PC5s. A good all round and neutral template. From there if you want more release or more hold or drive etc it's easier to make recommendations.
                              What fins do you current have at your disposal?
                              Well they come with SF4s anyway, but was thinking of a thruster set as well. I have PC5s on my FF though so sounds like im sorted. My other 5'10 board takes future fins, and I have to admit I much prefer them to FCS in both aesthetics and build quality ( im always worried a fin will come out with fcs as has done a few times where as futures they dont worry me at all, just seems like a much better design to me) I have been using the F4s as a quad and WCTs as a thruster but I think the spitfire I get will be in FCS as easier to get hold of than a futures one ( I wont have to wait months!).

I will be going for the 5'8! thanks all!

Comment

Where are you based Will? If you want a brilliant set of FCS fins I highly recommend checking out the Soar DL Powerbase fins. They pull down into your fin plugs with a flanged base that imitates glass ons and gives a very similar feel. Rock solid, stable base, nice flex in the tip, really versatile all round template. Not the cheapest fins on the market, but better than anything FCS are making in my opinion. Owen Wright swears by them.
                                If you're in Aus you can get them from www.powerbasefins.com.au, if you're in the USA I can give you a contact address for a guy who's importing them from Greg at Soar and selling them on, trying to raise their profile in the US.
                                If you're in the UK you could potentially get a send sent over with my next set and save on shipping costs if you were interested.
                                Attachment
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X