Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen the HellRazor properly but I think itd be a good choice also.
    I'd probably be thinking 6'1" based on your other boards, but at your weight you could definitely try the 5'11".
    Michel wise I'd be looking at the 6'0" 18.75" 2.38" 100%.

Comment

Hellrazor 5'11"
      MB 6'1"

Comment

Hmmm. Think id like either the MB or HF after reading loads of threads on here. The HF has amazing reviews and seems to be all the rave, will go in big stuff and versatile and the more they surf it the more they love it seems to be the general view, maybe overlap with the SF though... The MB is a lovely looking board and like you said sounds like it would be a great all round shortboard, I like to ride my HP shortboards a bit longer if they have less thickness so either the MB 6'0 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 or the 6'2 x 19 x 2 7/16. Hellfire would be a 5'10. Not going to be getting one for a while anyway but may start saving up now haha.

Comment

yeah Will, the hellfire, however is still very much a hybrid. Keep in mind it has a lot of width, is relatively short and it has an aggressive double concave. The Michel, Hellrazor, Alternator and Flexfire all ride a lot more like a shortboard with a traditional thruster feeling. I would say the Michel or the Hellrazor would be the board if you want a high performance thruster ride while the hellfire is the choice if you are looking for a highly versatile, highly easy to use hybrid.

Comment

Maybe this will help...from http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...Hellfire/page5
            Originally posted by Slowman View Post
            By popular demand and after only 3 surfs on the Spitfire I think I can cover this.

Spitfire v Dominator

Today's surf was small occasionally shapely waist high to chest high waves. The spit went very well and I had a lot of fun on it. At this size there isn't really too much difference to be felt between the spitfire and the dominator. The spitfire will do a mid face hack a little better and maybe it comes off the bottom a little better in as much as you can go a bit more vertical (maybe). Reos and floaters feel about the same really in this size surf. The differences I think are going to be amplified with size and power where you will notice the extra performance more so. The 1 overhead day I had on it, it really felt good with the extra bite in the tail. Once on the wave it felt a little like the hellfire but it still felt like the dominator on take off because of the flatter rocker.

Spitfire v Dominator v Hellfire

The Spitfire and the Dominator are boards that basically compete over the same turf. It's really a preference of one over the other depending on your tastes, style and maybe even ability. A bit like buying the car with a turbo, if you are not going to drive fast it will never get used or noticed. While the spitfire offers something extra over the dominator they are still very similar. Now the Hellfire is a different story. It really is in another league. It is meant for better waves and a bigger size range. It covers different territory. Again it can still surf waist high waves that have some shape but once above chest height its performance leaves the dominator and spitfire for dead. The extra rocker, combined with the plan shape just makes this board drop into steep waves and turn anywhere you want on them like magic. Added to this, the single to double concave helps this board accelerate off the bottom and give it speed to burn and the tail gives it some nice control at speed. I've written more on the Hellfire in the Hellfire Reviews thread if you want specific details. But as a comparison the Hellfire is quite different to the Spitfire and Dominator, which are fairly similar.
            I can add to this after a few more weeks with the spitfire in the quiver; between the spit and dom the real difference seems to be out there on the face, both seem to go vertically as well as each other but the spit will whip around into a cutback tighter and faster than the dom. It also handles the pocket a tad better and you can swing from a re-entry into a cut back under the lip easier on a spit than on a dom. The dom will tend to get out of control, the tail just won't hang in there as well.

I'm buying another 6'2" Hellfire to leave at my in-laws' tropical island! It will replace my old 6'6" Webber Afterburner which I thought was versatile but the HF is more versatile...I may take my dom over and leave it there too for their summers which are a lot like QLD small small then big typhoon swells followed by more small weak waves. The HF though while it can't grovel as well as the dom/spit it still can but when it gets bigger, steeper and hollower you really want the HF! The HR I haven't ridden but I'm thinking it would be pretty versatile too (maybe the Jacknife as well).

Comment

I find the spitfire and the hellfire complement each other nicely. I jump from one board to the other without really noticing much difference in the way they turn and handle in their respective wave ranges. Once it gets steeper and hollower the take offs on the spit need a bit of extra attention otherwise the foot work and turn radius are very similar. Hardly surprising when the hellfire is a morphed up spitfire. I think I've unlocked more performance out of the spit since I wrote my first comparison.

I had a great surf on the spitfire a couple of weeks back. A nice Saturday afternoon for 3 hours worth of 2-4' lefthand peak at my local, strangely none of the boys were out and a bunch of guys from a nearby beach, that I've seen about, were on it...about 6-10 of them at any one time! Nevertheless the lads were very polite and never dropped in. The spitfire was powering, easy paddle take off and instant speed down the line, it was coming off the bottom and smacking the lip any way you wanted, it seemed like a magical day where I never put a foot wrong. I couldn't believe how many waves I caught! I rarely had to wait very long for my turn. This little peak was really delivering. The spitfire was paddling in well, it was a fuller peak at take off and then a nice hollower shape as it peeled down the line.

Since then and before then I've had plenty of good waves on the spit but that session really stands out. With the recent northerly swells a couple of places have lit up that haven't worked for a long time and the spit worked well out there but I missed the best day...that would have been the next stand out session! Oh well, missed out yesterday too, due to family duties and as I'm going away soon I have to do the right thing. Have all the time in the world today and it's utter onshore crap. The problem with getting good waves is,... they are never enough, they just make this addiction worse! Last w/e it was the hellfire's turn, looks like this w/e it's the mountain bike's turn!

I think either the HF or the MB would give you a wide range (but the hellfire with 5 fin plugs has more options) and I'd start there then work downwards if you need a small wave board. I think I would be going for a hellrazor before an MB just because there are more fin options again.

Comment

will, whats yer height and weight??...i ride the beefy 6'2 flexy, (and normal hp's 6'2, 6'3, 6'4)...a 510 hf (all ive ridden for 6 months...in EVERYTHING)...i'm in the process of testing the two thicknesses of the MB 602...should have feedback etc shortly.........

Comment

Hey guys
                  Just wanted to say thanks to all for recommending the 5'8 Spit. Perfect sizing for me and paddles like a dream. Also recommend the Soar fins I got off Phill they feel so secure and banish my worries I have of FCS coming out,the way they lock in is alot better. Iv had it out in 3-6ft waves so far and I was tending to pick off the smaller ones as still getting used to the board but yeah totally stoked on it ,so nice one! much appreciated!

"The problem with getting good waves is,... they are never enough, they just make this addiction worse!" - Slowman this pretty much sums it up even more so over here in the UK.
                  Really enjoyed reading everything you have had to say about the HF too just makes me want one haha!

Core my height and weight are like 5'11 ( well inbetween 5'11 and 6'0 ) and around 66-70kgs.

Cheers!

Comment

ok so you are Nevs height and weight...he and you (and me at 90kg) ride similar boards...so go that 510HF...!!!...on the HP's though, nev is riding his MB shorter than his "normal" board which is 602...so you may do better on the shorter MB...good to hear your stoked on the spit...

Comment

Originally posted by Will. View Post
                      Hey guys
                      "The problem with getting good waves is,... they are never enough, they just make this addiction worse!" - Slowman this pretty much sums it up even more so over here in the UK.
                      Really enjoyed reading everything you have had to say about the HF too just makes me want one haha!
                      Cheers!
                      I write to deliver truth as creatively as possible!

Glad to see you got a spitfire and now that I realise your are in the UK it will probably serve you well most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X