Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire, Spitfire or Dom?

Hey all,
    Been looking for a new board and these 3 have attracted my attention. Looking for the most versatile one to take travelling with me in europe, Something that goes in 2-5ft and can handle it ok when it starts barrelling aswell (maybe asking too much here haha). Im 5'11 and 66kgs (intermediate I guess), can do snaps, cutbacks I have most fun surfing waves 2-4ft. I have two boards at the moment, one is PU, five fin 5'10 x 20 x 2.5 square tail, my go to board for 2-4ft. I also have a Firewire Flexfire RF 6'3 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 for the 4ft + days. Which model would you guys recommend me and which size?
    Thanks!!

as you've got the FFE for the bigger days, i'd go 5'8" Spitfire.

Comment

Do you mean 2-5 foot on the face (ie from around knee high to just around shoulder/head high) or 2-5 foot in "surfer speak" (ie waist high to 1.5 times overhead).

If the former I agree the Spit or Dom would be the right board, with the choice between them just depending on aesthetics and the feel you are looking for. If the latter I reckon the Hellfire would be a better pick.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
        as you've got the FFE for the bigger days, i'd go 5'8" Spitfire.
        Yessssssssir

Comment

yeah, a short HF would be a replacement for the flexy...go the spit

Comment

Hey dudes,
            Thanks for the replies! Yeah 2-5ft in "surfer terms" (ie waist high to 1.5 times overhead). Yeah the dom was the original one i was looking at then saw the spit and thought it looked even better. Do you know if they come in future setup or only fcs? Hard finding the spit here in the UK aswell.

Comment

Both fin systems are available. There's a shipment coming in at the beginning of June that should have plenty of boards on. I'd contact your dealer and tell them the size, construction and fin system and they can talk to Myles at Firewire Europe and get a board allocated to you hopefully.

Comment

thanks Phill-ipe

Comment

I dont have a dealer...any suggestions of good UK dealers to get the ball rolling?

Comment

My paddling isnt very strong compared to the rest of my game, would the 5'10 be a better choice?

Comment

Will, if you're not a strong paddler I'd look to whatever size the buyers guide puts an intermediate of your weight on. If you're super weak you may even add 2 inches length to that.

Comment

Ok, thats 5'8" unless you are like bottom 20% of paddlers. If you're a really weak paddler you should definitely consider a 5'10". I mean weak relative to other intermediate surfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Will. View Post
                          I dont have a dealer...any suggestions of good UK dealers to get the ball rolling?
                          Where are you based? Cornwall, Down The Line in Hayle is a good bet. There's boardshop.co.uk and secretspot.co.uk on the south coast I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                            Where are you based? Cornwall, Down The Line in Hayle is a good bet. There's boardshop.co.uk and secretspot.co.uk on the south coast I believe.
                            Yeah I emailed firewire and have been linked onto a guy who works for boardshop. He recommends me 5'10. Im having a hard time here deciding which one 5'10 or 5'8, 5'10 or 5'8 ahhhhhh!

How much difference am I going to notice regarding maneuverability and paddling with 5'10 and 5'8.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Great advice from forum so far, Will. I vote for the 5'8" Spit. I currently ride a 5'8" DOM (same volume and shape forward of fins) and it suits me in about 80% of the waves we get here in SoCal which is typically in the range you state in your post. I'm your height but heavier and I have no problem getting into waves from 2 foot+. I know everyone leans toward the Spit but I can't say enough about the DOM. Personally I love the look of rounded tails and feel they work for me. The 5'8" DOM or Spit will have plenty of paddle and snap for the small to medium wave range. Setting a rail gets a bit tougher on the overhead stuff but that is where your Flex steps in. Good luck and go small especially if you plan on maintaining or increasing your water time. 5'8" Spit. Do it! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X