X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiver

Okay so i got a Dom and a Hellfire and like the rest of you guys absolutely love Firewire boards. In a ideal world i would like to build a 3 board quiver. Basically i want the most versatile set of boards to cover waves from 1-2ft (don't go if smaller) up to solid 5ft (rarely gets bigger where i live). I am in the upper intermediate to advanced catogory and much prefer power surfing on the rail to the new school stuff. The waves i surf range from mushy and crumbly beachbreaks, fairly powerful beachies to nice reefs and points.

So far my Dom has served me great at the lower end and i have had so much fun on it on small days. At the moment I don't see how if i went to something like a potatonator i could have any more fun as it goes great at the bottom end. My Hellfire is great for average to good surf although i do feel like there is something missing on occasions. When its good its great but i think i could do with something a little more refined. Growing up on thrusters i feel the need to go back to basics and feel like i am missing out some refinement. I am definatley not looking for a glass slipper and have always liked my boards with a touch more volume than normal. I think something like a flexfire would be too refined and i want a set of boards that work for me without me having to make them work if you know what i mean. I did have a 600 Alternator at one point but i because i wanted more of an allrounder i swapped it for the Hellfire.

Ideally i am looking for HP to add my existing quiver but that might create a lot overlap so i would consider reluctantly replacing boards if it gave me more depth.

So given all that would your choice be?

I'd say the 6'0" thinner Michel for a pure shortboard or the 6'2" round tail Alternator if you want a bit of a step up.

Comment

Yeah, MB sounds the ticket if you don't want to go back to the Alt.

Comment

Agreed there with the 6'0"MB

Comment

Yeah the MB looks great, not sure about the 6'0 thinner version though. Not much volume in that or am i just too used to hybrids now?

Comment

Thicker is worth a look too, gives you a couple of different options on a stock model which is definitely a good thing. What are you weighing in at? I think the thinner 6'0" would still pack more foam than a typical shortboard in that 6'0" - 6'2" size range.

Comment

more refinment sell the hellfire and get a razor.. picking mine up tomorrow

Comment

prj i'm 12st 6 give or take or (80kg) and used to ride a 6'3 as my go to back in the day. your probaly right on the MB just would need to get used to it. kdropin yeah thats an idea but i really like the HF not sure i could part with her! I think given the waves i surf the HF is maybe more of an alrounder but then again i haven't surfed the HR. I think for a 2board quiver that would be great option.

Comment

was just saying you already have a dom so don't necessarily need an all arounder.. i go spud to dom to now razor as the waves get better..

Comment

don't let the hybrid revolution pull the blinders and by having a volume calculator we ARE NOT saying you should only ride 1 volume. I personally ride about 27-28 in my HP boards and get up to 31 in my hybrids... Then I actually have 31 in my 602 Alternator round tail so I can get in early anywhere...

Cheers!!

Comment

Chris yeah i guess i have been looking at finding my perfect volume. Suppose thats good if your looking at a one board quiver but if you want 2 or 3 boards there is little sense. Out of interest Chris which HP do you prefer for everyday surf? Your 27-28 HP, or your 31 Alt?

Comment

I think he uses that Alt as a semi step up for solid days as extra paddle power.

Comment

yeah mrees, in everyday surf, I am on either my Dom/Elf if its smallish and my Hellrazor/Alternator/Michel if its decent. I have the Alternator as a step up for SoCal and have ordered a 603 for a step up on steeper waves. So to answer your question, on decent days I am riding my 27-29L shortboards.

Cheers

Comment

i like the reviews u all put up about the HFs. i got my 6'6 HF about the volume i usually ride, but they just seem big cuz its so wide. but paddle is my #1 priority then performance. i have a 6'8x20.5x2 3/4 squash and its 39 vol. but the HF6'6 at 38.6 and 20 3/4 wide seems too big. Im afraid if iget the 6'4 HF its not gonna paddle me . im 5'10 195. i tried the 6'8 rapid fire alternator at 39.9 vol and it didnt seem to paddle as well as HF even though the vol is higher. how do you figure volume and board type when figuring getting the right size board and paddling. it seems like the performance hybrids you want to get a lower volume than the performance boards? just wondering how to pik the volumes i did use the calculator i think im a inter. surfer and above avg shape. i ride waves 4-8 feet on east side avg power for hawaii. looking at 6'4 HF or 6'8 alternator. looking at mahalo, gkekoa

Comment

I'm 200 lbs and surf a 6'8" Alt. At my weight, intermediate ability and above average but not exceptional fitness I think it has just a touch too much volume. I may end up replacing it with a 6'6" Alt but with the width pumped up on CBD. Then again if there's a 6'8" round tail Alt I might get that. It's really that borderline in terms of volume. I'm 46 yoa by the way with an unrepaired left rotator cuff injury, and a slightly bung left knee - both skiing injuries. I looked in the stores and the 6'6" HF felt too big. The 6'4" felt about right. As you're a bit lighter and surfing the board in better waves I reckon a 6'4" HF or a 6'6" Alt would be good, but I suspect the HF would be the better pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X