Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size Hellfire to get?

Hey guys,
    Great forum with heaps of informative info, love it.
    My conundrum is what size Hellfire do i get. I am currently surfing a 6'6 hybrid which is a swallowtail and based on a fish with a little more performance built in. It surfs great in all conditions and went extremely well on a recent trip to Lombok in overhead waves. Problem is im getting older 45 and hate paddling out the back through tons of white water and then paddling for waves. All my mates are on Firewires and during an average 3 hr session get probably double the waves i get. We will paddle for the same waves and whereas i will just miss it they are up and riding while im still paddling. I grabbed my mates spitfire 6'4 quad setup and oh my god. Great for paddling and caught heaps of waves. was a little skatey for my liking as i am use to a thruster but gee it went well. If anything it maybe could have been a little bigger (longer in size). Im 200lb (around 90kg) 6ft'2 have been surfing for around 33 years and hit the water nowadays once to twice a week sometimes more if its good. So im now looking at a hellfire as my all rounder and am considering a 6'6 instead of a 6'4
    Im also looking at using it as a thruster setup with FCS PC-7 fins.
    Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

I reckon the 6'6" could be the ticket for you if you went alright on the 6'4" Spitfire. If you felt like you would rather be on the 6'6" Spitfire then you could consider the 6'8" HF but I think the 6'6" will be plenty.

Comment

Thanks prjwebb for your feedback,
      I was considering the 6'6 spitfire but im thinking the hellfire would be a little more suitable as an all-rounder.
      Yes the 6'4 spitfire was just right and paddled heaps better than my 6'6 fish but i thought i could have maybe tried a 6'6 for the paddling flotation but then again it may have been to much volume and floatation.
      My weight fluctuates between 85 and 90 but mainly around the 85 kilo so a 6'6 hellfire is prob the way to go.
      Has anyone tried the FCS PC-7 fins in a hellfire as a thruster? Im thinking for the size board and my weight these would be the way to go.
      Cheers

Comment

I'm exactly your age weight and height and went 6'4" and love it. Not the best paddler in terms of speed but catches waves very easily. 6'6 would be a nice easy paddle, but has much thicker rails so may lose a bit of performance in good waves.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnet View Post
          I'm exactly your age weight and height and went 6'4" and love it. Not the best paddler in terms of speed but catches waves very easily. 6'6 would be a nice easy paddle, but has much thicker rails so may lose a bit of performance in good waves.
          Thanks for the feedback Magnet,
          Im just about sold on the 6'6 :-)
          What sort of fin set up are you using and what type of fins do you use, im hoping the 6'6 will still handle well in double over head height as i frequently head over the west coast and think one of the benefits of it would be getting into the waves a little earlier.

Comment

I reckon 6'6" or 6'4" Hellfire would be perfect. The PC7 set up would also be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
              I reckon 6'6" or 6'4" Hellfire would be perfect. The PC7 set up would also be ideal.
              Thanks Buzzy im just about sold on the 6'6 Hellfire now with the PC7 fins. I will prob order it Tuesday if all goes well. Apparently none in stock in Adelaide at the moment so will have to order online, maybe from Natural Necessity as a fair few of my mates have done so.
              Cheers

Comment

I agree with Maqnet, 6-4... but you will need to stay in shape in your arms especially (cross train also) to paddle her if you dont surf but once a week.

Comment

short as you can mate...thats what its made for....its supposed to disappear under your feet...you dont need to go as far down as me, but i ride a 510 and am 90kg and 6ft...i would love to go bigger to increase the paddling but then you lose the freedom of movement...work off the volume that you feel most comfortable with and order accordingly, or ONE step up at most...

Comment

Thanks core, my mates spitfire that I tried was a 6'4 and it has a touch more volume than the 6'6 hellfire, it was perfect for me in terms of paddling and getting waves so I'm thinking it would be spot on. I keep pretty fit and do plenty of shoulder training as I've had two shoulder reconstructions due to bad wipeouts in the past so would be happy if the 6'6 is a bit easier to paddle :-)
                    Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated

Comment

Am2s seem to go well as a tri, yet to use as a quad, main thing is make sure it's a large size fin.

Comment

yep larger fins....if futures am2s feel a little stiff in smaller stuff try sa3's...loosens it up fully but similar drive

Comment

Yes indeed, those AM2 are gonna come handy on bigger surf, Tried them on 5-6ft and went super nice, tried them again on our little wave ant you could see the difference right away

Comment

Cheers guys,
                            What would the equivalent be to the Am2's in the FCS, would it be the PC-7s
                            I also have a couple of spare sets of FCS fins at home which are G6's and G'5s wondering if the G6's would suit as all rounders?

Comment

am1 is the fcs large......i have original 6's from the early fcs days...loved em....

Comment

Working...
                              X