Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
5'8" Hellfire Video Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Hey Matt,

    Where were the breaks you surfed in Maldives & how were the waves, size, quality?

    I'll be taking my:
    5'2" Sweet Potato
    5'4" Potatonator
    5'8" Hellfire

    We'll be staying at Coke's surf villa!

    Comment


    • #17
      Just what this forum needs to brighten things up
      Good work Megsy
      Look forward to more Vids

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by megsy View Post
        Hey Matt,

        Where were the breaks you surfed in Maldives & how were the waves, size, quality?

        I'll be taking my:
        5'2" Sweet Potato
        5'4" Potatonator
        5'8" Hellfire

        We'll be staying at Coke's surf villa!
        Megsy,

        I have been twice. In 2007 I surfed north male atoll on a boat trip (Chickens, honkies, sultans, jails) I didnt surf cokes because im goofy (and our whole boat was somehow) and the lefts were going off so much everyday it made it hard to tear myself away. The breaks in north male are quality!

        This year I went down to laamuu atoll on a internal flight picked up a boat down there and surfed all atolls leading back to male. The waves in comparison were shallower, faster down the line, not as big as my previous trip (could be luck) but completely empty. I would say that I prefered the waves around north male atoll but we did find 2 waves that really stood out that were as good as but with no people, there was a lot of cruising around to get between breaks, it was more of an adventure/surf rather than surf your brains out trip.

        I think cokes will be a good place to surf yourself stupid for sure. Cokes is suppose to be a little heavier than most breaks in the maldives so you will be well positioned. Chickens was also sooo perfect when i was there and you will have that option as a left across the channel.

        When I was in that area in 2007 april the waves were chest to overhead. We actually spent a couple days at the end of our trip this year to finish it off back up there in north male and it was a bit overhead again. I would say you could expect it to be a little bigger in July/august for sure, but you may cop a little more wind or bad weather because of the monsoon. April is known for small and perfect. July/August for best size of swells.

        One thing I would note is that MSW does not seem to have an accurate forecast at all. I bought a phone chip to keep an eye on it and the waves we got didnt seem to have any relation on the size that was showing on magic seaweed. The last few days were forecast 1ft on the buoys. We pulled up to honkies on the last two days expecting nothing and it was overhead and more powerful than when id surfed in back in 2007 (our tour operator had warned us about the inaccuracy of the forecasts).

        Im sure its going to pump for you. I think the hellfire will be your go to board. I used a 5'9 el fuego which went amazingly well, it never felt to small/short. I would have used a hellfire if I had one, the waves had great shape/quality. The potatonator would also be good if it gets small. I used my 5'2 sweet potato once, just for fun.

        I wouldnt worry about crowds. The place seems to attract a lot of medium ability surfers and the vibe was chilled and fun with plenty of good characters around. At least in my experience anyway.

        Enjoy yourself, im looking forward to the videos, take all your filming equipment

        Comment


        • #19
          Hi Megsy, did the same Cokes Surf Villas stay in early May. Fantastic surf, great staff but food was pretty average. Surfed waist to double overhead at Chickens, a little smaller at Cokes. Only used my Hellfire, found it a little sketchy at full speed with Shapers quad E's, but much better with thruster Carbon Lite G7's until I snapped one off bottom turning at Cokes. Say hi to Tim the surf guide, ask him about his super secret composite surfboard construction technique and watch him go totally paranoid that his trade secrets might get ripped off!

          Comment


          • #20
            Thanks for the heads up Matt_s...counting down the days!

            Comment


            • #21
              Hey Piha Local, do you need booties to walk out across (reef) to cokes from the villa?
              What's the favourable tide to surf cokes?
              What's the cost for a trip across to chickens from the villas?
              In regards to fins, I'll be taking my FCS K2.1 PC Quads for thrusters I'll have my FCS K2.1 PC, FCS JW-1 & FCS PC-5.

              Comment


              • #22
                Hi, I used booties at Cokes if it was not high tide, there is an area they call "urchin alley" and the urchins have very long evil spikes, not good if u get nailed early on in the holiday. If u get dropped off at Cokes or Chickens from the dingy, then I didn't bother as u could stay out of trouble because the waves are pretty easy to duck dive compared to my local beach break in NZ. There was no cost for the boat transfers. I dont know about fins, I have only recently realised what a difference they can make so my experience is limited, if I was going again [next year for my 4th trip?] I would take a Knubster as I think the very high speeds u can achieve on well shaped, long period reef waves with a Hellfire, need some controlling! A couple of Spanish [good] surfers stopped me to ask about my board because they noticed the speeds I was achieving.Tides are weird in Maldives because the Atolls are not true harbours, they are open to the ocean thru gaps in the reef system on all sides so it can be overridden by local winds. Even the surf guide couldn't predict current flows accurately especially around the big tides we had. High and low are obviously low flow situations for an hour or so. Enjoy!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
                  Hi, I used booties at Cokes if it was not high tide, there is an area they call "urchin alley" and the urchins have very long evil spikes, not good if u get nailed early on in the holiday. If u get dropped off at Cokes or Chickens from the dingy, then I didn't bother as u could stay out of trouble because the waves are pretty easy to duck dive compared to my local beach break in NZ. There was no cost for the boat transfers. I dont know about fins, I have only recently realised what a difference they can make so my experience is limited, if I was going again [next year for my 4th trip?] I would take a Knubster as I think the very high speeds u can achieve on well shaped, long period reef waves with a Hellfire, need some controlling! A couple of Spanish [good] surfers stopped me to ask about my board because they noticed the speeds I was achieving.Tides are weird in Maldives because the Atolls are not true harbours, they are open to the ocean thru gaps in the reef system on all sides so it can be overridden by local winds. Even the surf guide couldn't predict current flows accurately especially around the big tides we had. High and low are obviously low flow situations for an hour or so. Enjoy!
                  tides are the strangest thing there, it can be perfectly surfable one minute and then 10 mins later it takes all your energy just to maintain position, you will see it breaking pefectly with noone out at times of strong currents. and yeh it seems noone can predict them.

                  i didnt use boots but i had boat drop offs from our charter, got dropped on the reef a few times on the inside and had to walk a little, only got minor foot scratches, (not so minor on my behind :( ) , didnt find the reef to sharp but my mate got an urchin through a soft patch in his boot surfing "towns" in male town on day 1......the only urchin injury though

                  i second the food getting a bit boring, unless your a major fish fan get your fill of your favourite foods while at home haha, plenty of local shops to stock up on milos and oreos though :)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Well boys, this time next week, i'll be in boardies, surfing some warm waters in great waves (hopefully) in Maldives. I've been checking the reports & it's been double overhead the last few days (today is 9-10ft). I'll be taking plenty of video footage of my firewire quiver in the conditions & will put together a clip or two for all to see...stay tuned!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      And we look forward to the footage!
                      Wish I was the camera man

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by megsy View Post
                        Well boys, this time next week, i'll be in boardies, surfing some warm waters in great waves (hopefully) in Maldives. I've been checking the reports & it's been double overhead the last few days (today is 9-10ft). I'll be taking plenty of video footage of my firewire quiver in the conditions & will put together a clip or two for all to see...stay tuned!!!!!
                        So jealous. Have fun Megsy!!!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Looking forward to the vids Meggsy. Hope the waves turn it on!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Bon Voyage and say hi to Tim from Hamish, [Piha Local]. At the swell size u are talking about even Baby Cokes [right out your front door] will be firing!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Hey megsy,
                              Currently riding a 5'6 Spitfire and considering moving down to the 5'4. Seems like I bought 1 size too big. 5'3, 140lbs, intermediate and improving, surf SoCal knee to head high.
                              Also, thinking of getting a 5'6 Hellfire as I want something to push my surfing and I really like the look, feel and reviews of the Hellfire. Plus watching your video shows what it can do in smaller surf.
                              I still want and need something that can paddle well and get me into smaller surf while my skills continue to improve.
                              My question is of your 3 boards (5'2" Sweet Potato, 5'4" Potatonator, 5'8" Hellfire) which one is your primary "go to" board in knee to waist high?
                              Ultimately I'd like one board that can do it all but it probably is best to have two. Maybe I'll keep the 5'4 Spitfire and the 5'6 Hellfire to see which one I like more or keep both...just not sure if there is too much overlap.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                thanks for the stoke Megsy!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X