Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey Buzzy, I'm super keen to hear your report on the Futura as we are around the same vintage and stats.
    I am really enjoying my Futura.

Comment

I'm super keen to get it out. I've never had to wait so long on a board! It'll almost certainly get a run. The surf would have to be....like it is now....or completely atrocious....for it to stay in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
        I'm super keen to get it out. I've never had to wait so long on a board! It'll almost certainly get a run. The surf would have to be....like it is now....or completely atrocious....for it to stay in the car.
        I enjoy surfing mine in anything 2ft clean / 3ft slop up to double overhead - probably because I don't have any other options but it handles those conditions well enought for me. Just waiting for my Potatonator to land now.

Comment

Tallkook, some of the best advice I got before heading to the Mentawais was don't go too big with your boards. The surf is clean with good push, but can have steep take-offs. The Maldives should be the same. You will get a better performance out of a little shorter board. Plus, the board will "fit" in the pocket better. I would recommend you go for the 6'6". Like I said in a previous post, I rode a 6'4" Hellfire on my Indo trip and it worked great. It really handles steep drops well. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs. 46 y/o.

Comment

hey certified i have owned a 510 hf for almost 12 months now , i am 509 tall 76 kg 39 years old and would consider myself very intermediate , i live in cronulla and surf the beach breaks here . my take on the hellfire is that it is a very forgiving board especially on late takeoffs it never seems to nosedive or catch a rail , you only have to point it down the line and it takes off . this board has honestly improved my surfing confidence . the only draw back is that it needs a steeper better quality wave to get it going .(i surf my 56 sp in the fat stuff ) hope this helps . cheers .

Comment

good words X-man and Rivamon

Comment

Yeah thanks everyone, but 6'6??.............................geez I don't know. Would it really make much difference if I went 6'8??

Comment

That 6'8" is pretty chunky. I'd personally suggest you look at the 6'6" but maybe the best way to get comfort around that is to demo. Is there somewhere you can get your hands on a 6'6" Hellfore to Demo?

Comment

Tallkook, I paddle in on the 6'6" with no probs BUT as I said before I only use the Hellfire when the waves have good power. If the waves are weak or getting full the Hellfire is a bit harder to get onto the waves than my spit or your say your Elf.

Can't tell you how much difference 2" makes in the Hellfire but I know I Demoed the 6'6" Dom & the 6'8" Dom (before I settled on the spit) & found the 6'8" like a boat (floated to high, corky, ok to get on waves but harder to perform on once up & running) compared to the 6'6'' Dom!

Honestly try to get a demo & give one a whirl, its the only way your going to know for sure!

I usually up the volume on my boards cause I like to get onto waves without bustin a gut & some of the breaks I frequent are infested with logs.

Other guys on this forum my size & weight ride smaller Hellfires without a second thought!

It all comes down to what your ability, fitness, what your comfortable with & how you like to surf!

Good luck mate I go through the agony every time I get a new Firewire!

Comment

Thanks fellas. I'm up Newcastle way so I'll try and suss a demo. I may just have to have a hold of them both off the new rack and make the call from there. Thanks again.

Comment

Drop us a line on what you go with & your review once you two get together in the water!!!

Comment

Everyone should get a hellfire! You should too TK!

I'm riding a 6'2 and weigh ~90kg too...and it still goes OK waist high waves. I'd say even try a 6'4 as well 36.7L is a lot of volume more than enough to float you but you be the judge, if that isn't enough try the 6'6 I'm sure that would be more than adequate. Too much volume and you'll have trouble sinking the tail and rail in the juicier stuff and this is a board that will aid progression.

Comment

At 84Kgs I take my 6'0" whenever conditions get good and could not be happier

Comment

TK, I'll get one if you get one :) maybe we can do a deal on 2 boards from the FW factory. Speaking of which doesn't the Currumbin Factory usually have a scratch & dent sale around this time of year.

Comment

STC you might have to call them. I don't know the answer to that one...

Comment

Working...
                                X