X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIze question: Hellfire

I'm interested in getting an FST Hellfire... I am 5'11" and 170 - 180 lbs (big swing i know ahaha).... I usually ride hybrid types and the occasional fish... I have a 5'8" FW fishtail and love it and also ride a 5'7" rusty dwart (fiberglass, 5'7" x 20.5 x 2.5)..... the dwart feels a bit floaty at times and looking to up my performance... Im an intermediate surfer looking to progress and looking for a hybrid of shortboardish feel and dominator type shape... i surf Newport Beach, CA which is usally average waist to overhead days (some steep days and some mushy)... wanted opinions on either the 5'8" or 5'10" and which would be the go to board most of the time.... any input is very much appreciated.. thanks

Drew

Hey Drew,
    i would say get after the 510. I am your size and I ride the 510 Hellfire and it fits me well!!

Comment

Thanks Chris. I had a 510 Dominator and didnt like how much it float and was hard to duck dive. I know the Hellfire has much less volume and i was looking for a board that is very easy to duckdive and doesnt sit too high in the water. Do you feel like the 510 is floaty? Or would i basically just sink on the 58?

Comment

I surf a 508 Sub Scorcher which is the same volume as the 508 HF. It's enough volume when the waves have some push but I'm closer to 170lbs. It might be quite small at 180.
        If I bought a HF I'd probably be going for the 510.

Try to hold both and you'll get an idea for how much volume they carry.

Comment

510 510 510.........Nev at 70kg rides it...so do i at 90kg.....its all you will ride....it will blow your mind...

Comment

yeah I would say the 510 as well. It depends, PRJ is a guy who likes his volume very low. I am the same size as him and I like it just a touch more. In the end it kind of comes down to preference, but at 180ish pounds, i think you should be looking to stay 28L or above. This would put you safely on the 510.

Cheers and thanks for all the words folks.

Comment

I agree that the 510 is the best bet. Just saying that if he's looking to ride the minimum volume in better waves the 508 will float him (and motivate to keep weight at 170 rather than 180 haha) but for maximum usability in a range of conditions and weights involving different thickness wetsuit, the 510 is the safe pick.

Comment

Thanks all... i appreciate the input!

Comment

I just picked up a 5'8 Hellfire FST I have been riding a 5'8 Dom FST for two years. After my first day on the Hellfire I just realized I have been riding a board with too much volume. I am 5'9 160 and the 5'8 Hellfire is so perfect. This board is the best board I have ever ridden. Nev was right on this one!! I also have 6'0 Alternator which is good in the bigger stuff.

Anyone have any fin setup suggestions? I rode the K2 quad set and it worked great. I have the Deviant anyone try it in the Hellfire yet?

Comment

I haven't ridden it with a deviant yet, but if you have it, give it a whirl and let us know what you think!!

Cheers!

Comment

deviant great in it for small days with tiny pockets as it tightens what are already tight arcs...also makes already fast rail to rail transitions (as fast as any twitchy h-perf board) even faster for getting you vert even on those 2 second closeout days...

Comment

Working...
                      X