Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire 5'10 vs el fuego 5'9

Chris,

How do you find the volume in the 5'10 hellfire compared to the 5'9 el fuego?
    I have a 5'9 ef and the volumes perfect. If I go 5'10 on the hf is it going to feel noticeably more buoyant/big ? It's only just under a ltr more and an inch longer.

I'm 5'9 myself and weigh 70kg/155lbs intermediate (plus full winter wetsuit) and can't decide between aiming for a 5'8 or 5'10 hf.

Thanks

If you like the volume of the 509 El Fuego, I would say that you would be happy with the 510. However, at your weight, I would likely suggest that you get on the 508 hellfire. I am 175lbs or so and I ride the 509 El Fuego and the 510 Hellfire.

Hope helps a little bit!!

Comment

Thanks that helps... Age old dilemma of too much or too little volume.... Gets me every single time ! I have been riding a 5'6 Dom and 5'9 Ef happily (not sure if a size up would have suited me). I just wonder if that with the more shortboardy refinements to the hellfire I should go 5'10 to compensate for slight lack of stability especially in more critical surf. I'm intermediate rather than advanced, a good paddler but not pushing hard turns yet... def think I could ride the 5'8 but just not sure if the pros of less vol would outweigh a little stability of the 5'10....
      Thanks again for ur help

Comment

Yeah that is kind of going to be your own preference call I think. I am 20lbs heavier than you and the 510 is the right volume for me. So based on that, I feel you might prefer the 508. The Hellfire still is a hybrid so its a relatively easy board to use, it will just perform more like a shortboard when you get it into better conditions.

If the 506 Dom is good for you, I really think you'll prefer the 508 Hellfire. This is true so long as you are viewing the Hellfire as a abetter wave board.

Cheers

Comment

listen to chris...go short...it will feel totally natural under your feet....i'm 6 ft and 90kg on the 510..!!

Comment

I have both the ef 5'9 and hf 5'8. I the ef has more nose volume then the hf, but the hf has more tail volume. But over all the 2 boards feel like they have the same volume. If was you i'll get the hf 5'8..
            Im 5'8 60 kg lower interm. was switch the hf 5'8 to a 5'6, but the 5'8 got damage.
            cheers

Comment

There is a lot of talk about volume differences between these 2 boards but do you need to account for the difference in rocker between the two? The HF has a lot more rocker and is not going to paddle as well as the ELF. Is this a reason to go a higher volume on the Elf. I have read some where that you can surf the ELF with lower volume than your normal board because of the flat rocker.

Comment

You'd be using the Hellfire in punchier waves with more curve though so you don't really need as much volume on a board like that as you would on a board for slacker conditions.
                On the other hand you're right, a wide nosed and flat rockered board like the El Fuego paddles into waves easier so you don't need so much volume with that board either as the plan shape is so effective. Maybe size them similarly?!

Comment

Originally posted by jakob View Post
                  I have both the ef 5'9 and hf 5'8. I the ef has more nose volume then the hf, but the hf has more tail volume. But over all the 2 boards feel like they have the same volume. If was you i'll get the hf 5'8..
                  Im 5'8 60 kg lower interm. was switch the hf 5'8 to a 5'6, but the 5'8 got damage.
                  cheers
                  Cheers, actually really glad you can make that comparison, that's helpful

After a Lot of deliberation il most probably get after the 5'8, cores description of its ride in lower volumes makes me really want to get after the 5'8! Just hope I can do it justice performance wise!

I think I'm good paddling something slower than the 5'9 ef anyway. The 5'6 dom also paddle in easy enough. It's all harder when 6mm hoods n gl

Comment

Originally posted by jakob View Post
                    cheers
                    Cheers, actually really glad you can make that comparison, that's helpful thanks

After a Lot of deliberation il most probably get after the 5'8, cores description of its ride in lower volumes makes me really want to get after the 5'8! Just hope I can do it justice performance wise!

I think I'm good paddling something slightly slower than the 5'9 ef even if it does come to that. The 5'6 dom also paddle in easy enough even without the wide nose of the ef. It's all a litle harder when 6mm hoods n gloves come into play but rubbers getting more flexible every year

Thanks again

Comment

Yessir Matt. Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X