X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrazor test drive

I was lucky enough to borrow a friends 5'11 Hellrazor for the last couple of days and I thought I'd share my experience
    In the hands if felt perfect
    My first impressions was that it looked like a simplified version of the Hellfire
    I have previously owned the Hellfire and was very impressed how it performed in the right conditions but disappointed that the right conditions hardly ever happened
    The Hellrazor felt like it would cover more bases especially with the flatter concave
    The surf was a local beachie around the head high mark with the tide dropping. Semi clean conditions were on offer. Caught a lot of fat ones and sucky ones
    I threw in my Slater quads with the knubster
    I was a bit worried that the 27.2 liters wouldn't be enough to paddle my 80 kg frame but I needn't have worried Paddling was a breeze
    I prefer boards on the low end of the volume range as I can push turns a lot easier
    The first few waves I was thinking that I can feel the extra width during the glide but it was a bonus as it zipped through the flatter sections
    After that my later impressions was that I felt like I'd been riding this board for ever
    Coming off the top was never a problem and you never feel like nosediving. It seems like this board is just so damn easy to surf
    Late drops weren't a drama and the hold inside a few little close out barrels was a surprise as well
    I guess that's due to the step rail setup
    This board has definitely left me wanting more
    I know that since its not mine I will have to return it to its rightful owner and I'm not overly happy about that
    I guess that's a sign that it's a damn good board

Highs
    Fast in slower sections of the wave
    Good hold in waves that barrel
    Nice whippy feeling off the top
    Surfs unreal In marginal conditions
    A good groveller

Lows
    Maybe feels a touch too wide
    Not as smooth on my backhand

Sorry no photos
    The locals where I live don't take too kindly to surf pics posted online
    Regardless of what I think the older local boys wishes deserve to be respected
    Last edited by Wandi; 09-13-2012, 04:34 AM.

I hate reading posts like this, I've been battling the temptation for a HZ since they came out. It does look like a great board!

Comment

Yeh I would have to agree with you on many points you've made

I've only surfed mine twice in below head high conditions, again semi clean beachies
      plenty of speed thru flat sections and very easy to throw around, reckon this board will
      blow up ( grommet speak) on some nice point waves, good having the 5 fin option though haven't tried as quad yet

Im with the old local boys, why attract attention to your local, more crowds mean less waves surfed

Comment

oops forgot to add, like wandi said paddles and catches waves with ease

Comment

slientp - how does the HZ go with the El Fuego? I'm looking for a more HPSB to tackle winter waves and I'm wondering if the HZ is the right one for me. I reckon the ElF has me covered from thigh high to basically overhead, and I'd be wanting a board for shoulder high and up days.

Comment

5-8 ft hurricane swell....epic board

Comment

more this weekend... :)

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                more this weekend... :)
                Hey what fins you using
                You riding as a thruster or quad

Comment

Gnubee I think what im finding with riding these boards (MB + HZ) the Elfuego has taken a back seat because of the ability of these boards to grovel ok,
                  for me I enjoy surfing top to bottom(on a good day) and jamming a good cutback when I surf and the Elfuego can certainly do that but it feels a whole lot better on the hellrazor as it is a much "freer" board. Hey if your intermediate now you may well jump up to the advanced bracket after riding the hellrazor! hope this helps

Comment

Luvin this thread, nyCe!

Comment

Originally posted by Wandi View Post
                      Hey what fins you using
                      You riding as a thruster or quad
                      k2.1s thruster in pc

after riding a quad for so long i am really liking the thruster again.. like how they pivot

Comment

I forgot to mention my last surf on the Hellrazor before I had to give it back
                        I surfed some punchy waves that we're running nice
                        I have to say that I came out of the water a little frustrated
                        After the previous surfs I was sold but I was still struggling a little on my backhand
                        It still did all he right things but I really love the feeling of drifting the tail around from a backhand top turn
                        I felt that razor perhaps had too much bite
                        I know I surf more off my back foot on my backhand and that's probably contributed as well
                        I wish I had more time to experiment with fins but my friend had just finished work and was frothing for a wave
                        Its still a sick board but for now the Mini Driver might get the nod

Comment

Hey Gnubee,
                          In my opinion the EF and the HZ would be a great pair. the hellrazor has the high end capacity of any surfboard and the EF is one of the most fun rides in smaller waves!! a good pairing!! Wine and cheese!

Comment

Cool.
                            I know that with the flatter waves here, there is no way I'll be giving up my ElF any time soon. It is just that when winter hits, the swell gets bigger, although not really steeper. I reckon it is down to either the HZ (6'7") or an Alt (6'6"). I like the 5 fin setup and stepped rail of the HZ for sure. Now I just need to figure out how to test drive one - or both.

Comment

Wandi, Great review on the Hellrazor. I was hoping you (or anyone else) could weigh in a bit more.

I am currently riding a 5'6 Hellfire, the volume feels good @ 24.5L and has plenty of float for me. Currently this is my only board but I am excited to see the Unibrow after Chris's comments.
                              Can you shed a little more light on the performance differences between your Hellfire (and what size it was) and what you experienced with the 5'11 Hellrazor. Was the Hellrazor as easy to get into waist high waves as the HF?
                              What are the differences one will notice with a flatter concave (HR) vs. a double concave (HF)?
                              Overall I like my Hellfire but sometimes consider going with something with slightly thinner rails and maybe a tad less volume but I want to make sure I am not struggling to catch waves.
                              My break is primarily thigh to head high. Last weekend I demo'd a 5'9 Hellrazor in some pretty weak waves and it caught waves about as well as my Hellfire but the 5'9 seemed too long for me.
                              If I went with a 5'7 Hellrazor the volume difference would be -1.8L from my HF. Certainly that is a difference I will notice and I am hoping that will be a good thing and like you said I can "push turns a lot easier" with a little less volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X