Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrazor as a step up to a potatonator?

So after much debate I ordered a 5,6 potatonator a few weeks ago (I'm 6ft, 160lbs, intermediate surfer, and surf in a 5/4 boots gloves on Vancouver Island) which I'm beyond excited for it to arrive hopefully next week, but am looking to get something to complement it for when the waves pick up as my ancient 6,0 wade tokoro has finally packed it in last weekend.. I like the board but with it being constantly waterlogged it only seemed to excel when it was really big and clean and I bought it used long before I knew how to surf properly ..so really looking for a board thats going to help progress my surfing without being a really high performance board where i'm just going to struggle using it, especially when the waves aren't great. I'm pretty much trying to build a two board quiver to cover me for nearly anything.
    Leaning towards the 5'11 hellrazor as it has a bit of length but is quite a bit wider, though i see a few people my weight also riding the 6,1 so I have no idea what would make the most sense..

Here's a video of the break I ride 90% of the time, so aiming to use the board when it's bigger/punchier than this:
    http://vimeo.com/50807381
    Last edited by hdeb89; 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM.

I'd ride my potatonator comfortably in double those sized waves.
    They look fat enough to use the potatonator all the time.
    Spend money if it makes you happy but...

Comment

I agree with Cuttlefish waves that big and over my PN is my go to board

Comment

Right on. When it gets to O/H+ that break gets quite a lot punchier, so trying to work out whether the hellrazor would be a good board for when it's too big/steep for the potatonator and if at my weight/skill a 5,11 or 6,1 is the best choice?

Comment

You could ride either size happily. You might like the 6'1 in a 5/4 and as a step up.

Comment

Yeah that wave is super flat. I agree that you will love the potatonator there. As the waves get better and steeper, the hellrazor will come to life. I think, as PRJ said you could easily go either, but you might also consider the 60 or 602 Alternator, as I think both will be a little easier to surf and bit more versatile...

Cheers

Comment

Just ordered a PN for big wally stuff, but I'm certain that my SP would fly on those waves!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Yeah that wave is super flat. I agree that you will love the potatonator there. As the waves get better and steeper, the hellrazor will come to life. I think, as PRJ said you could easily go either, but you might also consider the 60 or 602 Alternator, as I think both will be a little easier to surf and bit more versatile...
                Sorry you think the Alternator is more versatile/easier to surf? I'm looking for a higher performance board that's going to help me progress in waves bigger than that and punchier beach breaks, but not one where I need to be at a really high level to even appreciate.. I had figured the hellrazor (having some hybrid in it and being 5 fin) would have been easier but if that's not the case then I'll definitely take a look at the alternator! Also, what's going to be the difference riding between a round and a bump tail?
                Last edited by hdeb89; 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

hdeb89 are you one of the surfers in that video? or of comparable ability?

Comment

That looks like a pretty full wave. The blue board in the last couple of waves with a red and yellow arrow on the deck is a tuflite Stretch F4 and they are a hybrid quad and he looked to be struggling when he went too far out onto the shoulder (also he should have cut back sooner). Pnator waves for sure. You might want to think about a Hellfire too as I suspect that when it gets bigger there it perhaps throws a bit on take off but gets fuller down the line. The HF might be good it will handle the takeoff and the juicy sections as well as any flatter sections...the HZ too. But it will want a bit more juice I'm guessing to keep it going than what the HF needs.

Got a video of the place when it's big? One with more surfing and less driving, dancing, cooking and talking? LOL Only kudos is the dude wearing SRAM cap, those trails look ridden.
                    Last edited by Slowman; 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

hdeb89 are you one of the surfers in that video? or of comparable ability?
                      I'm not, they're some of my buddies. I'm about the same ability as the guy at 1:20 and the guy at 2:45.

This is the other beach I surf at (found on youtube) though its rarely ever this clean and barrels like that.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJFcXbOW4g

The HF might be good it will handle the takeoff and the juicy sections as well as any flatter sections...the HZ too. But it will want a bit more juice I'm guessing to keep it going than what the HF needs.
                      .. I was kinda leaning away from the hellfire as I wanted something with a bit more length and a little closer to a standard shortboard to use when it's too big/steep for my 5,6 potatonator, and saw in the forums the hellfire doesn't need perfect clean waves like some of the more performance shortboards like the flexfire. ...the west coast can get pretty windy and stormy here so it's not common to get glassy days

Comment

yeah go more in the hellrazor range than the hellfire. you'll get better performance in my opinion. I am sure you have plenty of little boily waves there too which are more fun wit ha more refined board in my opinion.

Cheers!

Comment

yeah go more in the hellrazor range than the hellfire. you'll get better performance in my opinion. I am sure you have plenty of little boily waves there too which are more fun wit ha more refined board in my opinion.
                          Cheers! The only other question I had was for the waves in that first video, is the 5,6 going to be the right size for the potatonator? The shop I ordered it from called to say their not 100% certain whether it made it into the last big firewire order they placed so if I've chosen the wrong size (I was stuck between a 5,6 and 5,8) I still have an option to re order it..

Comment

I surf the same stuff (I'm based at UBC myself) and I'd say that the shorter of the two might be fine. As for the short board question, I think either the Hellrazor or Alt would be a great choice for around here. Just to mess with you a bit, take a look at the Jacknife as well, especially if you like the hybrid feel. Personally, I am looking closely at a Hellrazor, knowing that it will be more my winter board. I wish they made the Alt with 5 fin boxes, since it would be nice to mix it up a bit. The El Fuego is just about perfect for everything else. As we all know, the waves around here tend to be softer than the videos suggest. Not lacking power exactly, but definitely not the pitching, sucking, bowling monstrosities that you can find elsewhere.

Comment

Yeah Hellrazor 6'1" will come in handy specially with the thick wetsuits. When it gets bigger and punchier you'll thank those extra inches. You are lucky surfing those spots, have a bunch of firends who have been around there and when it gets good it gets really good

Comment

Working...
                              X