X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell razor vs lost stealth

Love my 5,10 hellfire and also dig like my 6,3 flex fire, but would love to get a quad that's more hp than the hellfire, but not as hp as my flex fire which is offcourse only a thruster anyway.

Two boards I'm looking at are

Hell razor FST 6,1 x 19,1/2 x 2 5/16 (29.1L)

Lost stealth FST 6 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/16 (30.5L)

The hell razor is obviously hp while the stealth is under the performance hybrid category, but I'm guessing the stealth is kind of at the top end of that category? Pushing into the lower end of hp? I guess it has more tail area than the hell razor and a different kind of rocker, and weird tail shape.

Would love to hear people views on comparing he two boards, in particular Chris :)

Having never seen both boards in person, how similar is rocker, bottom shape and rail shape etc.

Waves mostly surf is are kind of rip bank peeling beachies from waist to head high, waves that go from fat to hollow to fat, lots of push in swell and lots of paddling against rips to stay in the take off zone.

PS. I tried to use the board comparing thing but, it never works for me, maybe it's cause I'm on Mac or iPad.

Cheers.
    Last edited by indodreaming; 02-04-2013, 01:51 AM.

Hmm, haven't ridden hellrazor and only in <= waist (1-2ft?) on hellfire.
    My stealth in quad does 2-3ft great and can do 4ft fine, but I prefer as thruster then. 1ft better served by more volume in potato or hellfire prob unless mad keen.
    Seems to glide flats pretty well yet with plenty of tail rocker for the bowly stuff. I went to it from a 60 flexfire type board and apart from 4ft+ haven't looked back.
    Firewire store Owner here has ridden stealth lots but prefers his hellfire.

At 75kg, thought about 510 stealth? closer to flexfire literage but shape will plane and be more nimble in smaller stuff?
    Maybe a lot of cross over wave wise with your hellfire?

Comment

I'm guessing both boards have double to single concave with stealth having a deeper concave?

I think I also recall reading the fang tail is similar to a round tail but also has some characteristics of a square having the two pivot points, is this correct?

Comment

Hellrazor has a good entry rocker and lower tail rocker. The stealth has the low entry with tail kicker I believe.
        I would consider the Mini Driver too!

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
          Hmm, haven't ridden hellrazor and only in <= waist (1-2ft?) on hellfire.
          My stealth in quad does 2-3ft great and can do 4ft fine, but I prefer as thruster then. 1ft better served by more volume in potato or hellfire prob unless mad keen.
          Seems to glide flats pretty well yet with plenty of tail rocker for the bowly stuff. I went to it from a 60 flexfire type board and apart from 4ft+ haven't looked back.
          Firewire store Owner here has ridden stealth lots but prefers his hellfire.

At 75kg, thought about 510 stealth? closer to flexfire literage but shape will plane and be more nimble in smaller stuff?
          Maybe a lot of cross over wave wise with your hellfire?
          Thanks for the feedback, yeah I could go the 5,10 stealth, but might just be pushing it as paddling has alwas been my weakness even when fit, not sure why I actually find strangely enough my flex fire paddles better than my hellfire,even though it has less volume Andre rocker than my hellfire, I guess it's the extra length?

Yeah there could be a bit of crossover, but I expect both boards feel different, with the different kind of rocker, sometimes I just need a slightly different board not really about the waves, but just to mix it up, put a different spark into my surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
            Hellrazor has a good entry rocker and lower tail rocker. The stealth has the low entry with tail kicker I believe.
            I would consider the Mini Driver too!
            Cheers, yeah to be honest in the past I've never really taken that much notice of different rockers, so don't know what I really like, although the more I ride short low rocker boards the more I think I prefer a board with a bit more tail rocker.

Yeah I've read good things about them, but am kind of a little put off by the round tail as find there great to carve on but I really like the feel of a tail that has two pivot points (I grew up surfing rounded squares)
            Last edited by indodreaming; 02-04-2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

I cant speak highly enough about the stealth and its versatility, Everyone has raved about the MiniDriver, which is essentially the same outline as the stealth. The Stealth has slightly relaxed rocker to the mini, has a more refined rail and the bat tail helps bite like a squash. The board can grovel 2 foot slop, and handle up to 8 foot. Its a good tri-fin board, but comes alive as a quad. The trick I've found is using the vs knubster fin in the centre fins front tab, this makes the board behave like a trifin with all the speed benefits of a quad and takes away that skatey squirily feel and gives a smooth forward drive, in bigger steeper waves.

I think the look of the board throws people off, from it being a high performance short board. Actually I remember when i bought my 6'0, i did it from reviews from others on the old forum. I had never seen it in person before purchase.
              When I first saw it, i kind of freaked, and thought i just made the biggest mistake!!! I hit the water and it changed the way i thought about boards, This thing could paddle into anything and get you up a going early due to the low nose rocker.
              Handle steep drops and turn on a dime in and out of the pocket due to the tail kick rocker. Best of all it flys like a rocket, both on and above the wave.
              After all it came from the rocket and the Lost pro's loved it, but back then short stubby wasn't cool, so Matt hid the rocket in a more conventional shape, hence the name the "Stealth".

Like people say about mini, the stealth is a pretty good quiver killer. (There are some pics on my profile page of the stealth in action)

Comment

good stuff stylar

Comment

mm. Matt Biolos said the fang tail is more like a diamond on his mayhem blog.
                  Definitely has more bite and pivots compared to a round tail.
                  Seems like we're talking the same size Stylar with the same conclusion. Interesting :)
                  I haven't tried the knubster in bigger than head high yet, but under head straight quad seems freer for me.
                  Stylar has a hellrazor step up and stealth DD... that might be saying something about which fits where in your quiver OP.

Comment

Originally posted by stylar View Post
                    I cant speak highly enough about the stealth and its versatility, Everyone has raved about the MiniDriver, which is essentially the same outline as the stealth. The Stealth has slightly relaxed rocker to the mini, has a more refined rail and the bat tail helps bite like a squash. The board can grovel 2 foot slop, and handle up to 8 foot. Its a good tri-fin board, but comes alive as a quad. The trick I've found is using the vs knubster fin in the centre fins front tab, this makes the board behave like a trifin with all the speed benefits of a quad and takes away that skatey squirily feel and gives a smooth forward drive, in bigger steeper waves.

I think the look of the board throws people off, from it being a high performance short board. Actually I remember when i bought my 6'0, i did it from reviews from others on the old forum. I had never seen it in person before purchase.
                    When I first saw it, i kind of freaked, and thought i just made the biggest mistake!!! I hit the water and it changed the way i thought about boards, This thing could paddle into anything and get you up a going early due to the low nose rocker.
                    Handle steep drops and turn on a dime in and out of the pocket due to the tail kick rocker. Best of all it flys like a rocket, both on and above the wave.
                    After all it came from the rocket and the Lost pro's loved it, but back then short stubby wasn't cool, so Matt hid the rocket in a more conventional shape, hence the name the "Stealth".

Like people say about mini, the stealth is a pretty good quiver killer. (There are some pics on my profile page of the stealth in action)
                    Thanks for the feed back, quite interesting to read, so what about your Hellrazor?

Comment

The Hellrazor, for me has been a bit of hit & miss at times. The stealth was the board that sold me on the whole hybrid hype, at the time i had the stealth for 2 to 4, an 6'3 F-1 for 4 to 6 magic days and the 6'4 taj for a 6+ days.
                      I creased my 6'4 taj just above the springer in 12 foot waves. I was in a comp at the time and it was dead low tide. I got caught on the inside paddling back out when some bombs came freight training through. Set exploded right on my head, seriously rattled me to the bones. came up a couple seconds later gasping like a drowned rat. jumped back on my board and copped the next couple of set on my way back out, still didn't notice the crease untill out the back and my hand brushed over my board. Got it fixed and it sat unused until i sold it. So i had my stealth and my F-1 and i thought maybe the hellrazor will fit nicely between the two, more of a conventional short board with a bit hybrid feel like my stealth. I couldn't demo the hellrazor and i tossed up and down if i should go the 6'1, but i worried the 29.1 would be under volume for me who normally ride a 6'3 @ 29.9 litres. So i went the 6'3 @ 30.9 just to safe as my stealth was 30.5.

As far as the ride goes it is lightning fast like the stealth and the tail has good release and feels super loose. From riding my stealth with a shorter rail line i had to adjust my pivot point and found i had to push a bit harder. Comparing it to taj or F-1 the tail has a fair bit of volume in it, and it feels a bit boyant at times and rail is harder to bite when really laying it on rail. My verdic for the hellrazor is still out, i think i need a bit quality waves to really see if it a keeper, i just find myself reaching for the stealth in 2-6 foot all the time. What i have learnt about hybrids is to becareful about how the volume is distributed throughout the board. eg for longer rail line shortboard for me like a flexi, taj or f-1 which have refined tails and rail i have to stick to my volume of 29.9 or i'll feel it in the boards performance. whereas if its a shorter rail line board like the 6'0 stealth, mini, unibrow & Chubby chedda i can go that bit of extra volume, because the shorter rail allows the board to pivot easier allowing my weight to dominate the board.

I actually just sold my F-1 and have a 5-11 Chubby Chedda on the way, interestingly both it and the hellrazor are 30.9 except the CC is similar to the stealth, low entry rocker for paddling and a fair bit of tail rocker, but the big difference is the CC tail is surprisingly refined, not quite the old taj tail but it definitely looks close. So i don't think i'll have trouble burrying the rail on the CC.

Without demoing the HZ 6'1, i'm not sure if it, or if it came in a 6'2 would be perfect for me. So at this stage i'm probably not the best person to ask just yet. I would suggest you try to demo both boards, and depending on your level of ability i would actually
                      suggest the 5'10 in the stealth and the 5'11 in the hellrazor, because they both have a dense volume in the tail, and they both paddle well, with the stealth paddling better due to the low entry rocker.

I guess if the HZ doesnt work for me in the long run, i'll probably offload it for a 6'0 bourez, or a Vanguard or V4 as i'm i loving the shorter boards at the moment, and how they free up your surfing.

Comment

Cheers Stylar, thanks for the feedback appreciate it.

Comment

good stuff stylar.

Comment

Working...
                          X