Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up a 6'3 in a surf shop yesturday and it felt really good under my arms as well, it was not chunky feeling and the 6'1 and 6'3 felt very similar. They also had a 6'5 HR and compared to the 6'1 and 6'3 that felt and looked a lot more of a chunkier board.

I have noticed that some sizes of Firewire models seem to have a couple of sizes that dont feel too different from each other and then the next size up just feels massive. The Domainator the 5'6 and 5'8 feel very similar but the 5'10 feels and looks a lot chunkier, picking up a 6'4 Domainato and comparing it to a 6'6 you can physically see the different in volume through the rails and the tail between those boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Fazza View Post
      I picked up a 6'3 in a surf shop yesturday and it felt really good under my arms as well, it was not chunky feeling and the 6'1 and 6'3 felt very similar. They also had a 6'5 HR and compared to the 6'1 and 6'3 that felt and looked a lot more of a chunkier board.

I have noticed that some sizes of Firewire models seem to have a couple of sizes that dont feel too different from each other and then the next size up just feels massive. The Domainator the 5'6 and 5'8 feel very similar but the 5'10 feels and looks a lot chunkier, picking up a 6'4 Domainato and comparing it to a 6'6 you can physically see the different in volume through the rails and the tail between those boards.
      Hey Fazza
      How does your Hellrazor surf compared to your 6'4 Taj
      Can you see the razor being your go to short board from now on
      Good reviews

Comment

Hi Wandi,

Considering the size of the waves the board paddled so well and was so nice to manoeuvre on the wave. This is definately replacing my Taj as my everyday goto board for good or messy conditions. The Taj Pro is a nice board but really only excels in nice clean punchy waves and from what is have found so far the Hellrazor is going to be great in 2ft plus waves in pretty well most conditions. I think that because of is slight Hybrid DNA it will perform across a wider range of waves similar to the Alternator but handle bigger waves better. Yesterday the wave face was slightly messy due to the strong offshore wind and normally my Taj would not like those conditions, i could still surf it but found i got hung up on the take off or in turns but not the Hellrazor.

6'1 Hellrazor at 29.1ltrs is at the uppermost range for my weight at an intermediate surfer according to the Board Calculator and having that little bit extra float is not a bad thing as you can use the board in a wider range of conditions and the waves here in South West WA can be quite punchy compared to other parts of Australia and you need to paddle your ass off when the swells up to get onto them so having a tad extra volume will help........can't have all the young blokes getting my waves :)

Tomorrow i am going to try the Hellrazor again but with a set of WCT Techflex Future Fins........will let you know how it goes and hopefully waves slightly bigger than yesturday.

Comment

Took the Hellrazor out for another surf today, bit more west in the swell and the waves were bigger than the other day with a bit more punch in them. Used the Techflex WCT fins and was way better than the small blacktix, nice and drivey off the bottom, really smooth and loose.

Still getting used to the board and with a few more surf over the weekend i will hopefully have it wired. Just love the way it feels on the wave face in the turns and the speed you can get for fast sections down the line.

Comment

good stuff.. i want to hear how this one goes in waist/stomach and punchy

Comment

Have you tried the board as a quad yet? would be interesting to see how it goes with a 4 fin setup. Can't wait until mine arrives!

Comment

Is the Hellrazor available in fcs as well
                The only pictures I have seen are with futures
                I'd probably like the fcs setup so I can use my knubster

Comment

5'11 Hellrazor with Machado fins is going to be mental. I always like FCS fins more than Futures but that was because I had never used futures hahah!
                  After having made the transition I now want all my boards to be Futures, I feel that the fins themselves are more solid and their work with foils is really impressive. Apart from the fact that they have alot of different types of fins going on where as FCS seems to be more of the same with slight alterations.
                  I would say that my only complaint is that down here people tend to go more towards FCS than futures so I have a harder time finding the fins I want, but that is a location specific issue.

Comment

Wandi,

The first surf i had on it last Wednesday there were a few smaller ones that were around wait to shoulder high and i had no problem paddling into them or getting the board going.....it was over a shallow reef break and the waves had a bit of punch so that should give you some indication. Keep in mind that i am only 68kgs and surfing a 6'1 HR which is 29.1ltrs.....i prefer to surf a board with a little bit more volume in SW OZ you need a little bit extra float to get you onto the waves as most of the wave power is in the bottom of the wave not the top of the wave.....if that makes sense.....the waves tend to be a little fat on the takeoff and then stand up and go. I think also having that little extra bit of volume helps it perform for me in smaller punchy waves. I don't have any trouble turning the board at all and yesterday i surfed it with a set of Simon Anderson SA4's as a thruster and really liked it with those fins, nice and drivey and easy to turn. The waves where a lot bigger, had a reasonable amount of punch and on a wave like that man that board was really good fun.......easy to turn and manoeuvre on the wave........my mate in the water with me commented on how fast the board just took off down the wave face.

Chitto,

Your going to love this board. I haven't tried it as a quad yet and think that i will probably not like it as much as a thruster.....won't know until i try it of course........ I think this board is primarily designed to be a thruster. The tail is not as wide as a Hellfire and from my own personnel perspective i find that wide tailed boards like Dominators, SP, P'Nator's enjoy being quads.

Comment

i agree. the people who have gotten on the board are loving it!!

Comment

chris get your hands on that 6'1 yet? have you surfed the hr since your last time you chimed in about it?

Comment

have one, haven't ridden it yet. I know on the east coast i would own that one before the 511 though...its a little wider but I really think its a shape that would give me the opportunity to ride an HP board in a lot of EC conditions...

Comment

cool thats what i'm thinking as well

Comment

Anyone out there around 75kg/165lb, intermediate/advanced who has ridden or is riding a 5'9" HellRazor? Would really like to try a low volume board for performance but maybe going too low might be a bad idea. Maybe a 5'11" is a safer bet.

Comment

I'm close to your weight and I think 511 is as low as I'd want to go.
                                Powerful waves just in boardies and it could work though..,

Comment

Working...
                                X