Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up my 5'11 Razor tonight. Thing looks like such a weapon, no doubt in my mind as to how its going to perform, will be ideal for the waves I get out front. It says 19 1/4 wide and I believe it but you wouldn't guess, obviously more on the shortboard side of things, really like the overall outline of the board, good clean shape that just feels nice under your arm. Got the F4 Techflex fins in it now, so will be on those first, than the machados and also got some AM-2 Techflex and Controller quads. could get interesting. May even have to pull out the deviant at some point and see how that goes in the HR.
    Recently coming off an Injury, tore my MCL about 9 days ago, its minor and already have it out of the way but have not surfed in over a week and have to go at about 75% tomorrow so It might be a bit before Im back to form but when it happens I cant wait to be on this thing.
    So pumped!!!

Comment

Chito, 6 weeks for an MCL, dont reinjure that or it gets worse.

Comment

Yea thanks. You as well as the rest of the universe keep reminding me of that! The injury itself was very very minor. When it actually happened it hurt but I was on the edge of paddling back out, was by no means severe. I knew that something wasn't right though just by the way it felt, there was no inflammation, no redness or any indication that anything had happened. I came in from the surf that day, instantly put it on ice for the first 48 hours and alternated heat. After that I kept it wrapped in an ace bandage and elevated for 9 days, didn't shed a drop of sweat and remained bound to my computer chair doing nothing while all my buddies got pitted like crazy and told me about it. Had 4 rounds of acupuncture done to it as well as 1 session of Cupping with regular Chinese, herbal healing patches that I left on for 12 hours each time.
        SO I would say I have done a good job thus far of keeping off it and taking care of it. I did surf this morning though, felt absolutely fine, not doing ANY turns right now though unfortunately. I Just want to be in the water so all Im doing is floating around and when I do get a wave I take off and pump, get pitted if possible and than kick out.

BUT what I can tell you all from this morning session IS THAT:
        if you are around 160-170 pounds than the 5'11 floats just fine. I am in board shorts surfing central american beach break though, may play a bit of a factor.
        The board is fast, cant tell you how fast yet as I can't really drive it to hard but just off the drop it generates a good amount of speed. I can imagine that once I can push hard and weave the thing it will fly.
        The board holds great in the barrel. Managed to get 2 nice shacks this morning and was amazed at how easily the board handled it. Was in a totally verticle part of the wave and the board didn't even seem to notice. I on the other hand was freaking out since Im used to my spitfire and it would never of held in that section.

Comment

Hey Chito!
          You sound about the same size as me and surfing in a similar climate (warm water and boardies) so hopefully you can help me out.
          I'm riding a 5'6" Spitfire also and would like to know your feedback comparing your previous 5'8" Hellfire and your current 5'11" Hellrazor to the Spit.
          I'm still trying to decide if to go a 5'8" Hellfire or 5'11" Hellrazor as my go to board.
          Which do you think better compliments the Spit and progresses your surfing? What's your pro's and con's eg. paddle, performance, grovel factor, carve factor etc.
          Cheers!

Comment

Ok well I have not really ridden the Hellrazor yet so I cant tell you how it rides. Although, just based on the fact that you already have the spit, I would say go with the Hellrazor, It's not that the Hellfire isn't good its just that the Razor gives you the ability to surf more variety of waves. The hellfire is an amazing board and I recommend it to everyone but that doesn't necessarily make it the best board, surfing is a very subjective sport due to the fact that everyone surf's differently, weighs different amount, rides different waves, wear's different suits so when all these things comes into play its hard to say that a particular board will preform for someone else the same way it would for you. The Hellfire for me was amazing, but I was in the same boat as you, had the HF and the Spit and the truth was that after I got the spit I rode the Hellfire less. The Spit handled the lower end waves better and still went great in head high waves with some punch and was great for the flat sections inbetween, so I would save the HF for bigger days but than when I was surfing those waves on it I almost felt like I needed more board, even though the HF handled the bigger waves fine, something a bit more traditional would of been better.
            It was with that thought process that I went and got the Razor, I have it now and am super pumped. Just from looking at the outline and the rails and everything I can tell that the board is a lot more of a short board than a hybrid, even though from paddaling it and everything I can tell that it has not lost the Hybrid fully. The board flies over flat sections like you were being pulled, as long as you hit them with some speed you just glide, its really cool.
            But back to your board choice! Hellrazor for sure, will give you a better time in waves of consequence and allow you to progress your surfing more. The Hellrazor and the spit really will have you covered from about knee to wasit up until whatever you feel comfortable paddling the HR into.
            Get a Potato next and you will always be out there!
            After my MCL heals up fully and I can surf at full strength again I will write a review on the Hell Razor. Will be about a month or so so I can heal up, get some good sessions in and experiment with different fins and fin setups but in a months time look for a review if you want to see how the razor goes.
            Yewwww

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Chito, that helps a lot, definitely looking forward to your full HR review.

I have a Potato in the quiver already, Spit for the middle and just need a HR or HF for the top end of the quiver, looks like the Razor might be the winner.

Cheers!

Comment

Yeah I think you need that board with a bit of a longer rail line in your quiver, that and a narrower nose and tail really give you a lot more versatility in your boards.

Comment

I didn't buy a surfboard, I bought a spaceship. Holy F**K this board goes fast. Sheet glass all day today with the waves in the 4-5 ft range with an occasional overhead set, got some of the best barrels I've had this year and I can hardly surf right now with my knee in the state it is! thank god you only have to go straight to get piped.
                  So beyond stoked right now, can't even begin to describe the sensation you get on this board when in the barrel, its like someone is at the end of every tube with a rope just pulling you out as hard as he can.
                  can't wait to fully heal up and be able to do some turns on it!!

Comment

great stuff chito. Appreciate the feedback! Glad you were able to rip on your board!

Cheers

Comment

Any more HellRazor feedback? How does it grovel. I'm thinking too steep and punchy for the Potato, but not really good enough to take out a proper shortboard. Waist to chest high, steep stuff, or chest to headhigh slacker stuff.

Comment

Prjwebb

I have had my board for a few months now and pretty well surf it in everything.

Surfed it in hip to shoulder high punchy waves a few times now........the Razor handled it no problems. Definitely likes waves with a bit of juice but having said that i have surf it in a few gutless shoulder high waves and it was fine.

It really handles sucky waves well and i feel that in bigger waves with a bit of chop it is stable under my feet...........really loving this board......i actually prefer it to the Bourez which i am struggling with.

Comment

Razor blows up way to hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chito View Post
                            Razor blows up way to hard.
                            what do you mean there Chito?

Comment

I think he means it goes very good.

Comment

I've got a 5'11" HR demo and 3-4 foot of clean swell for the weekend, will report back after my test drive, super excited!

Comment

Working...
                                X