Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah would overlap with my CBD too much like that for me. I'm on the hunt for a magic smaller wave shortboard. Hopefully the Mini Driver will fit the bill but if not the search will continue!

Comment

• Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      Yeah would overlap with my CBD too much like that for me. I'm on the hunt for a magic smaller wave shortboard. Hopefully the Mini Driver will fit the bill but if not the search will continue!
      Hey Prj, think you'd be surprised with the float that the 5'11 RZ has, too much for me at 68kg. Like you i'm looking for a perfect small wave board that will work in waist to overhead. I'm still keen on the 5'8 Sub but having too much fun on the spitfire to risk it. Don't think i will ever go bigger than 5'9 from now on.

Comment

• You'll love the Sub. Great little board and handles size well IMO.

Comment

• yeah i had my alternator in for repairs and I took the Sub out in head high oceanside beach break, pretty hollow too and it did great in the tube. Just a little flat and wider in the tail when it came to maneuvers at the lip with some steam.

Cheers

Comment

• Yeah agree with that. Not such an issue backhand with the way I do my turns, but frontside it can get a bit out of control if you try and jam it into the lip.

Comment

• I purchased a new 5'7 sub scorcher - its a poly but i can't fork out 600 on a Firewire one till i know if its for me.
              Did you see all those lost boards come up on ebay this week PRJ, i got two new 5'7 subs for 550. one is 19 1/4 wide and the other 19 3/4, can't argue at that price. My mate is having the thinner one as he couldn't wait for the 5'8 minidriver. If i get on with mine this winter then i'll probably get the FW 5'8 for spring as that will have the added durability that polyester boards don't have.

Sorry to talk about this on the Razor page but the razor didn't work for me so looking for alternatives in a round about way...and i'm still keeping my trusty spitfire whatever!

Comment

• I've been trying to avoid looking at boards on eBay to be honest :D sounds like a good buy. Are they made at Laminations? Beware that the first batch were snapping like twigs. A mate snapped 2 in weak 2 foot waves in the same week and 2 other guys I know snapped 1 each around the same time.
                Haven't seen any with the same problems since though.

Comment

I've been trying to avoid looking at boards on eBay to be honest :D sounds like a good buy. Are they made at Laminations? Beware that the first batch were snapping like twigs. A mate snapped 2 in weak 2 foot waves in the same week and 2 other guys I know snapped 1 each around the same time.
                  Haven't seen any with the same problems since though.
                  They're shaped buy Brian Bulkley so imagine like most of the lost boards in the UK they were done in spring this year while he was in Cornwall. I've had one of his team boards before and it held up fine. As long as it last till April i'll be happy.

If it works out then i'll get the firewire model, just a bit dubious of its capabilities as most vids on youtube don't show guys in anything bigger than chest high. If i don't like it, it goes back on ebay at no loss. (as long as you don't tell all your mates what you think about them)
                  Last edited by Baker; 08-22-2012, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Ha I think it must have been a bad batch of blanks and glass jobs on the first run last year.
                    I've got mates who ride Beach Beats all the time which are glassed in Laminations too and while they aren't as durable as the Aussie imported boards they don't snap like twigs.
                    I've seen a couple of this years too holding up fine.

The Sub goes well in size. I surfed head and half to double overhead mid tide Godrevy on mine and loved it. Wouldn't try Lev at that size on it though... Standard beachy stuff it works great. I'd love one in the 5'10 x 19" range.
                    Last edited by Phill; 08-22-2012, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Ha I think it must have been a bad batch of blanks and glass jobs on the first run last year.
                      I've got mates who ride Beach Beats all the time which are glassed in Laminations too and while they aren't as durable as the Aussie imported boards they don't snap like twigs.
                      I've seen a couple of this years too holding up fine.

The Sub goes well in size. I surfed head and half to double overhead mid tide Godrevy on mine and loved it. Wouldn't try Lev at that size on it though... Standard beachy stuff it works great. I'd love one in the 5'10 x 19" range.
                      Yeah the FW 5'10 Sub has a lot of foam in it, can see why you went for the 5'8.
                      How long you gotta wait till the Drivers come in, Autumn?

Comment

• Shouldn't be long. September mine should be in as I pre ordered early on.

Comment

• kdropin - I see you went with the 6'1 Razor...do you think you could have gone with the 5'11? Given your height the 6'1 probably feels better but I was curious in regards to the volume of the 5'11.
                          I have been using prj's volume formula, which seems pretty accurate, and it seems like you went on the high end. Just wondering what your impressions are after riding the 6'1.

Comment

• i find its pretty good.. i always wonder how the 5'11 would ride but i'm on the east coast which means inconsistent weak swells for the most part.. we're pumped for a 9sec period swell over here

prj's formula?

Comment

• i am also always in a wetsuit from a 2mm shortsleeve full to a 5/4 boots/gloves so i do add some weight during certain seasons..

i kinda just followed what nev said with explaining the board he created.. i ride a 5'8 dom which would put me on a 5'10 hellfire.. and nev said to ride the razor 3in up from the hellfire so there u go.. 6'1

Comment

• prj's formula for volume is .36 - .37L per kg of weight.
                                It was on one of the previous Hellrazor posts. Seems like a pretty solid formula.

Comment

Working...
                                X