Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good good.. ridden the 6'1 yet?

Comment

Road the Hellrazor a few more times this week in some good size punchy surf with Futures AM2 Techflex fins..........Man this board rocks. Probably the best board i have ever ridden.

I am finding that this thing paddles so well.....lightning speed.....i can get into the wave early, get a nice drivey turn off the bottom and go for it. Friday's surf was over a shallow reef with waves shoulder to head and half high, really sucky and punchy on the sets.......the board handled the drop as good as my Taj but to be honest felt so much better........you can just lean that thing over on its side, no rail bog, no catching just nice smooth/snappy turns.

This board really comes alive in bigger surf and almost seems like a different board as the waves get bigger.

If the Hellfire is getting some credit as a step-up board I wonder how a Hellrazor would go?

Comment

Originally posted by Fazza View Post
        Road the Hellrazor a few more times this week in some good size punchy surf with Futures AM2 Techflex fins..........Man this board rocks. Probably the best board i have ever ridden.

I am finding that this thing paddles so well.....lightning speed.....i can get into the wave early, get a nice drivey turn off the bottom and go for it. Friday's surf was over a shallow reef with waves shoulder to head and half high, really sucky and punchy on the sets.......the board handled the drop as good as my Taj but to be honest felt so much better........you can just lean that thing over on its side, no rail bog, no catching just nice smooth/snappy turns.

This board really comes alive in bigger surf and almost seems like a different board as the waves get bigger.

If the Hellfire is getting some credit as a step-up board I wonder how a Hellrazor would go?
        Good stuff!

Comment

woo good stuff on both boars.

my personal take is that the hellrazor comes alive in STEEP surf, not necessarily big surf....

it is the best board when you get a good pace going because the tail is super sensitive and the response is incredible. Look to this board as a daily drive in good conditions.

Comment

Hey guys,

Personally I don't think it's necessarily an either/or scenario. Sure, there is a lot of crossover between these two boards, but because one is a more refined version of the other, the way I view having both is as one magic board that will see you from all but the most grovelsome of waves (I had a fun surf on my HF a couple of weeks back in tiny, tiny waves) right through to 6'+ with zero transition problems between one board and the other.

By the way (and with respect) I'm not sure I agree with Chris that the HF will be better in bigger waves than the HR. Sure, HF does have the added volume for paddling in, but once you're up and running there's a lot more rail to have to bury and width to work around. Most of the guff on the site seems to position HR as a step up from HF. Again, saying this with respect as I've definitely benefited from Chris's comments, both in direct answers to questions I've asked and reading his answers to others.

Anyway, I have both and neither of them is going anywhere.

Comment

yeah its a fair point captainH. In my opinion, it depends how you ride the boards in respect to length, volume etc and what you prefer. I think the Hellfire does make riding bigger waves easier for lots of people because of the added volume/width while still maintaining a respectable performance level. Obviously, that is unlikely to apply to everyone, but I more want people to realize that because the Hellrazor is a more refined, higher performance board, doesn't necessarily mean its going to work better for people in bigger surf.

I think you have to be a better surfer in order to make the Hellrazor work which limits how many people the board will be appropriate for.

Cheers. Just more thinking points.

Comment

Do the 2 boards have similar rockers or does the hellrazor have a bit more kick in the tail.

Comment

its has a bit more overall rocker for sure, and yes notably so in the tails.

nice width though so you don't lose a ton of speed if you hit a slower section....

Comment

Eh, Captain H, i noticed me and u are about da same weight and height, i was looking at the hellrazor i currently have a 6'6 HF, it seems beefy, i was wondering what size waves u think would work best for the hellrazor. How does your hellrazor paddle. i really like easy padling boards. i am considering the 6'9 HR and dropping down to the 6'4 HF. I curently like to ride my HF in overhead waves cuz its easy to paddle into. what size waves and conditions do you ride your 2 boards in. I live on oahu and i am still figuring out my HF. i ride shoulder high and up waves most of the time. and what kind of fins and configuration do u use for the boards, mahalo, greg

Comment

Hey Greg,

The biggest waves I've had my HellRazor out in so far have been about 4'. Pretty punchy and clean, and loving it. However I have had my HellFire out in 5'+ and it felt like it would be able to handle more quite easily, so if the HR is a step-up from that I'm confident it will handle 6'+ quite easily.The HR paddles into waves really well. I live in Auckland and when it's good it's good but you have to put up with a lot of mush, too. When it's totally bogus I ride my Dom, but it if it's clean I ride my HellFire from about 2' up. Haven't had my HR long enough yet to know at exactly which point of wave quality I will leave the HF in the bag and pull the HR out; still gravitating towards it for every surf as it's so new. I ride both as quads and have mainly been using the FCS Mayhems - though I have just also bought a set of the Rusty Quads but haven't used them yet. Fully recommend the 6'4" in the HF. Not sure about 6'9" for the HR though. Would be interested to hear what Chris reckons.

Cheers, CH

Comment

hey gekoa, remind me of your weight?

I think if you are stepping down to the 604 Hellfire, then you might want to be considering more in the 607 range for the Hellrazor. I think you'll have that board out in better surf so it will go well for you. 5" is a big step. The 604 Hellfire and 607 Hellrazor have comparable volume and I think your ability to get waves with the Hellrazor is going to be enhanced by the quality of the surf that you take the board out in.

Cheers!

Comment

This is for anyone Chris, any big guy my size range, im 5'10 195lbs, ge 38, ride 6'6 hellfire, ride east side oahu side to onshore wind mostly reef break good form just semi bumpy, head high to overhead waves 2-4 feet hawaiian. my 6'6 HF is good for getting into bigger waves, i like the way it paddles into waves, but the turning is different than a squash that i have. Ive been playing with the future fins quad sets by simon anderson for bigger days (but harder to turn and go up the face) and i have set of Rusty Med. Lrg. i also tried it in a thruster but only in simon andersons. seems with the wide tail it holds better with the quad set up, but i love the paddling and can still duck dive pretty well. been looking at the 6'4 hellfire, 6'4 stealth, or 6'9 hellrazor. basically as a step up fun board. but paddling is a priority then performance. i hate struggling paddling. i tried a 6'8 alternator and didnt like the paddling on it. Mahalo off to church for Easter got a 3-4 hawaiian swell in on east side will check it later, gkekoa

Comment

gkekoa, I suggest getting the 6-4 Hell fire, 6-6 is too much foam for you for small tighter waves. Or maybe the 6-2 Dominator, 6-2 Spitfire or the new released 6-3 Activator (all easy paddlers) . Love Goat Island, My Brother Mike Mattison (Northern Alliance) surfs there.

Comment

yeah good stuff fritzkat....

Comment

Hello guys! I'm new to this forum and I joined mostly because I'm about to sell most of my boards to buy a brand new firewire. The best shortboard I had so far was 5'11''x18'1/2''x2'1/4'' (I'm not 100% sure if it was 2'1/4'' or 2'3/16''...) with a nice single concave I was evolving like crazy on that but then it got stolen.. I am 5'9'' / 175cm+-, and I weight 154 pounds / 70 kilos. I live in portugal so I almost exclusively surf beach breaks with the occasional point break. I wanted a nice shortboard but with a little more versatility, just a bit more all around. I also like the 5 fin setup so I can play a bit with the handling of the board. Do you think I should go for the hellrazor? And if so, should i go to 5'9''? They say to go approximately one inch shorter than the regular shortboard..mine was 5'11'', since there is no 5'10''.. Hope you can help me..

Comment

Working...
                                X