Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would imagine his rails are very low and the thickness is central whereas the stock ones hold the volume to the rail.

Comment

• prj - Meaning the thickness is more in the center of the board and the rails are thinned out?
      It still seems like a big difference though. A 5'7 is 2/16 so a 5'8 would probably translate to 2 1/8.
      Anyways, just wondering what the thinking is making the stock 5'7 so thin. I've read a few people say they would do a CBD on the HZ and make it slightly thicker.
      My only concern is that the HZ would float me well, paddle well and allow me to get into a variety of waves.
      My Chedda is 2 3/16 and I am loving that board!!! But I can't my mind of that 5'7 HZ.

Comment

• Nev said he kept that thinner because they are wider than traditional shortboards so to make them as thick they'd lose sensitivity.

That said, my buddy has a 511 HZ at 2.25" thick and the rail thickness is up there with my 2.38" CBD Taj. Though the Taj has more volume along the centre line and the HZ has less.
        I think if you had a thicker HZ the foil would need to be adjusted otherwise it would be too chunky in the rails.

Comment

• Guys...I am certainly planning on updating the Hellrazor in the near future. The feedback i have had from Filipe and a bunch of pros who are riding the Hellrazor confirms my position which is that I did in fact go too wide/too thin on this model. I also want to take it back to a diamond or a squash from the cut off square. I know exactly what to do, just gotta get the green light as we have soooo many models in then pipeline. Stay tuned...

Comment

• Oh no, more temptation!!

Comment

• I vote squash. The line is stacked with diamond tails! Sounds like a good tweak though, Nev. I'll be keeping an eye out for that.

Comment

• Hey Nev it sound slike it's edging closer to the Alt, albeit I'm sure more refined.

One thing though - I had the impression you designed the Hellrazor with competent to good recreational surfers in mind as a high end hyrbid/hpsb, not as a shortboard for the top pros on the world tour. It seems to me that the Hellrazor was adopted by the pros after its release because it's such a damn fine board (not that I own one but all firewires are fine so I think it's a pretty fair assumption).

Anyway, when redesigning the Hellrazor don't forget us mere mortals. Maybe the Alt can come back in as a current model?

Comment

• They don't call me Neville the Devil for nuthin'

Comment

• And as they say, "the Devil is in the detail", keep up the tweaking, theres a better lightbulb out there somewhere!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nev View Post
                      Guys...I am certainly planning on updating the Hellrazor in the near future. The feedback i have had from Filipe and a bunch of pros who are riding the Hellrazor confirms my position which is that I did in fact go too wide/too thin on this model. I also want to take it back to a diamond or a squash from the cut off square. I know exactly what to do, just gotta get the green light as we have soooo many models in then pipeline. Stay tuned...
                      Will it be given a new name like Hellrazor 2? The movie series had its devotees too!

Comment

• so do we get a bro trade in deal on the older razor since its not up to par :)

Comment

• Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                          Hey Nev it sound slike it's edging closer to the Alt, albeit I'm sure more refined.

One thing though - I had the impression you designed the Hellrazor with competent to good recreational surfers in mind as a high end hyrbid/hpsb, not as a shortboard for the top pros on the world tour. It seems to me that the Hellrazor was adopted by the pros after its release because it's such a damn fine board (not that I own one but all firewires are fine so I think it's a pretty fair assumption).

Anyway, when redesigning the Hellrazor don't forget us mere mortals. Maybe the Alt can come back in as a current model?
                          Nev - I am with buzzy on this one...don't forget us mere mortals when redesigning. From everything I read people love it "as is" but you're The Man so we know you'll do it right.
                          I was just curious as to the thinking on the 2 1/16 thickness when I saw Filip's custom HZ was 5'8 x 18.5 x 2.25. That board is only 1 inch longer but 3/16 thicker.
                          The 5'7 HZ I'm looking at feels sooooo good under my arm...can't get it out of my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nev View Post
                            Guys...I am certainly planning on updating the Hellrazor in the near future. The feedback i have had from Filipe and a bunch of pros who are riding the Hellrazor confirms my position which is that I did in fact go too wide/too thin on this model. I also want to take it back to a diamond or a squash from the cut off square. I know exactly what to do, just gotta get the green light as we have soooo many models in then pipeline. Stay tuned...
                            I really like the diamond tails, they seem very responsive to me. Both my Spit and my HF turn very well. I have not had a surf on my 6'7 HZ yet, I bought it for bigger waves to get in early. So I may find it just as responsive, I'd imagine with the right tweaks hear and there the difference between the diamond, squash or coffin could be neutralised a fair bit. So does it just come down to aesthetics and slight tweaks in rail length?
                            Last edited by Slowman; 04-29-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• The diamond works a little like a round tail, shortening the rail line whilst removing the "corner" of the squash that is great for resistance off the top which equates to earlier release that encourages the fins to break free and drift. The round tail/Diamond will hold just that bit longer under pressure through the turn hence why round pins are what he doctor prescribes for solid surf...So my doctor tells me...

Comment

• Nevs always shaped me diamonds, narrowish round pins and from late 90's to firewire the narrowish d-tail or thumb tail which for me combines all the doctors curatives into one sexy little pill...

Comment

Working...
                                X