Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrazor for Indo, plus what step-up?

Just booked a on-way ticket out to Indo for mid-July with the intention of staying for 2-3months (SO stoked!!), but was looking some advice on boards.

I'm 6ft, 160lbs, intermediate surfer, and surf regularly in a 5/4 boots gloves on Vancouver Island on a 5,6' Potatonator I bought on advice from this forum. I absolutely LOVE the potatonator, but know I'm going to need to buy something pointier in Indo.

I've been advised that for the July-Sep season two boards are worth having; a shortboard and a step up, and wanted to know how a 5,11 hellrazor would suit. I'd also been looking at the 6' alternator but I like idea of the extra width of a hellrazor and it being a hybrid....

I've also never even considered a step up before and know virtually nothing about how to pick one, but had been looking at maybe a 6'3 flexfire? Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

I answered regarding the step up on the other thread but for everyday shortboard the Alternator is a great choice, the Mini Driver and Hellrazor def worth considering too. I'd probably go with the bump squash Alternator myself. I really like the outline on that. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though, all fantastic boards.

Comment

• hdeb89
      hdeb89 commented
      Editing a comment
      What size would you say for the mini driver at 155-160lbs? I thought the 5,10 but wasn't sure..

yeah the Michel is another great option. Progressive curve, but still with enough surface area and volume to be versatile

Comment

• Phill
      Phill commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah good call, that extra rocker curve will be welcome in Indo, somehow i completely forgot about that board!

As you mentioned you are intermediate, I'm going to assume you wont't be dropping into a 3x overhead ledgey Padang Padang pit - but hey I could be wrong. So I'd say the Mini-Driver would be an awesome board for a large amount of the waves you will be getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jase View Post
      As you mentioned you are intermediate, I'm going to assume you wont't be dropping into a 3x overhead ledgey Padang Padang pit - but hey I could be wrong. So I'd say the Mini-Driver would be an awesome board for a large amount of the waves you will be getting.
      Good call

Comment

Originally posted by Jase View Post
        3x overhead is definitely a bit beyond what I'm capable of at the moment, I max out at around 2x... hadn't looked at the mini-driver but seems like a good call. Would 5,10 be the right size at 160lbs?

I'm pretty much looking for a board that will handle all except the jumbo days, that i can surf pretty much everything on there; barrels, turns etc. and is going to be easier to surf than a narrow/thin pointy board. Not really looking to lug around a quiver as I'll be traveling quite a bit. If I do go the two board route I think the 2nd one will be a 6'3 flex fire pin for the bigger days, but ideally i'd like to just have one board.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          The Mini Driver is a good all rounder. It's definitely one of those boards that you can take to the beach when you're not sure if you're going to be facing chest-high waves or well over-head waves and it's going to have you covered. It does great as a quad in steep fast runners but performs well one the face too. The pulled in round tail with the wider point forward means it likes to draw smoother carves so if you're looking for something to push turns a bit a more typical squash tail might be a better pick for the medium sized rippable stuff.

I rode the 510 at 165lbs. Felt spot on. It may feel a bit big at 155lbs especially just in boardshorts. Depends what you're used to.

Comment

• hdeb89
          hdeb89 commented
          Editing a comment
          For Indo, would a 5,8 be too small then? I'm currently riding a 5,6 potatonator in BC, Canada in a full winter suit etc. and it feels about perfect.

Yeah I think 5'8 would be too small. 5'10 would be a better pick but I'd try and check one out in the flesh to see how it feels to you. The front have carries plenty of volume but the back half is nice and refined. I'd ride a 5'6 PN too so the 510MD might be perfect for you.

Comment

Working...
        X