X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrazor v. Michel Bourez

Chris or others - I think you've ridden both of these boards in a range of waves (Hellrazor & Michel Bourez) and we're similar in size. I'm thinking about getting one of them as a daily board in 4'-8' (faces) Central American waves. I'm 5'11", 170 lbs., decent. I've been riding a 6'0" Maurice Cole (with a deep single concave). I've had a 5'8" Spitfire in the past. I tend to favor the Maurice Cole as it's faster.

It's time for a new board and I was thinking about the Hellrazor or Michel Bourez in one of these dims:

Hellrazor
    5'11" x 19 1/4 x 2 1/4 (27.2)
    6'1" x 19 1/2 x 2 5/16 (29.1)

Bourez
    5'10" x 18 1/2 x 2 7/16 (27.2)
    6'0" x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 (27.7)
    6'0" x 18 3/4 x 2 9/16 (29.9)

What do you think about these? Or if you have other dim suggestions or other board suggestions, let me know.

Also, what dims does Michel Bourez ride in the same types of waves?

Thanks!

Michel rides the 510.
    I think both boards would work well in those waves, the thinner 6'0" MB and the 5'11" HR.

The MB is going to ride like a more standard shortboard whereas the HR has a few hybrid tweaks but is still going to be a REALLY high performance board just with a different feel.
    Both sound super interesting to me and I don't think you'd go wrong with either.
    I think there's a couple of posts from Chris going into finer detail about the differences that could be worth searching for.

Comment

Hey Johnny,
      Yeah Prj gives you some good advice. First off, i would cut the bigger Michel out of the equation based on your weight, the waves you are in and the fact that you don't need a wetsuit, you wouldn't have to go with quite that much volume.

Regarding the Maurice cole, is it a traditional shortboard? to me it would be hard to imagine a standard shortboard that is fast than a flatter hybrid, but perhaps you mean you have better control on your Maurice in better surf?

If you want flat out speed, i think the SHAPE of the Hellrazor will give you a little more as it has a slightly wider template. There is also a little less tail rocker. Now, speed is sometimes also achieved by having a little too much volume, so you could conceivably fly out of control on a bigger MB but obviously that isn't what we are after.

My gut tells me that you would prefer the benefits of a traditional shortboard if the Spitfire wasn't really your cup of tea and you preferred the Maurice.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Chris - I thought the same thing about the bigger MB, I just threw it in the mix in case. The Maurice was a short board and I've been riding a Todd Proctor short board as well (although both were a little wider at 19" - closer to a short board groveler). But the Maurice didn't have any problems with bigger waves and high speed - it did have better control in better surf. I think Maurice is a great shaper and innovator but for a number of reasons I'm interested in Firewire (quality, durability, proven - replicable shapes, your company focus on high performance and how close you are to your customers and riders etc.).

I'm sure I'll like either the MB or Hellrazor and settle in to either just fine. I just won't have an opportunity to demo any before I buy one. I've had good success with single concave short boards. And I've also had good success with hybrids. I like both. I'm just trying to get the best all around, everyday board that I can use in almost all conditions from waist to overhead and from burgers to barrels - a one board quiver for Central America.

If you were me, having ridden both, which model, size & volume would you go for. I'm 5'11" x 170 lbs. Or if you think another model would be even better, let me know, I'm not married to these two - I just started with them.

Cheers!

Comment

Chris - I just read all your stuff on the Hellfire and it's seems maybe I should be looking at it as well as the Michel Bourez and Hellrazor?

Comment

welcome to my world.. same debate for me

Comment

i mean it depends what you are after.

of all the three boards, the Hellfire is the most Hybrid-like. The Hellrazor rips like a shortboard but is a bit wide and the Michel happily takes care of the people after a performance thruster.

I think the final choice is up to the surfer. I can say they all work well in similar conditions, but all ride slightly differently...

I recently rode my 5'11 Hellrazor at blacks with overhead sets, perhaps peaks were 2 ft overhead and it did great. plenty of hold and easy to control even though the wave was fast!

Comment

really hating being out on the west coast huh? :) stoked for you... not so much out here:(

Comment

its good an bad. have dodged more boards in 7 months here though than 10 years of surfing back east...

Comment

Working...
                  X