X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In praise of the Hellrazor in juicy overhead

I had the opportunity to truly test drive my 6'1 HR on the biggest south swell in recent years to hit central Ca ( Santa Cruz). The waves were ultra clean double overhead, 20 second interval power, throwing barrels. I am 5'9 165 lbs advanced surfer 43 years young surf almost everyday. I was so impressed by the board that I decided to share my experience in case anyone is considering this board. The board held in on the most critical sections, I felt that I could really bury the rail at top speed, so fluid so fast, and great release off the top. Also great nose rocker very trustworthy on hollow sucking drops.

Stoked !! Sounds like the board is going sick for you ! Im super close to gettting a hellrazor as i dont really have a trusty good wave board for the overhead to 2OH days. How do you find the volume? I have about 10lbs on you but my shop only has a 601HZ and a 603 wont be available till atleast August (they are obviously very popular). It will need to fill the niche of good reef waves for overseas trips as well as the spectrum above my 510 Unibrow in New Zealand where waves are often less than perfect.

Cheers,
    Will

Comment

You will definately love the Hellrazor, it just gos so well in all waves shoulder high and above from super clean and hollow to shitty choppy crumbly stuff as well (which is quite often here in East Coast NZ). I am 190 lbs or 86kg and have the 6'5. Its a good volume for me and easy to paddle into waves but I could easily go for a 6'3 for the better/steeper days.

Comment

• hwork50
        hwork50 commented
        Editing a comment
        jynx, What fins you riding on yours? I am the same size as you and just curious.

Yes, i ride the HZ 6.1 and its the best board from Firewire that i have tried. It handles size very well and never dig a rail in a cutback, even as a quad. Backside is a piece of cake as well. Very fast and loose.

Comment

I've recently got my 6'5 HZ and I'm riding it as a quad and goes nicely. First day 2xOH and took it out and rode in the club comp (not always a good idea) but it went well. I had actually ridden it earlier before my heat and was feeling confident with it. Fortunately I jagged 2nd in the seniors, unfortunately I copped a solid set on the head and somehow the rail smashed and corked my thigh. Took about 2 weeks for it heal. Next time I surfed it I got sucked onto a rock paddling out - jinxed board? Luckily, not, invisibly repaired and it's been going strong since.

I find it is pretty fast and handles steeper drops nicely. It feels a bit big after riding my 5'8 VG but it cranks tight turns when you want it too and seems to fit into waves OK though I'm wondering about how a 6'3 would go for me.I'm surpised I don't find it quite as loose as my 6'2 HF. The big difference is the HF at 2xOH starts to get too fast and sketchy and will skip out. Whereas the HZ just travels along unfazed.

Comment

I tried it as a thruster in overhead+ surf and I'm not sure I can really tell that there is any difference LOL. Maybe it is a bit more responsive and a tad looser. It seems just as fast with the same amount of drive. I use TC redlines in the front and TC aqualines in the back (both quad rears and thruster rear). I also think the rear quad plugs are in more of a McKee (closer to the stringer) position which probably stops the difference in feel being that great. Anyway, I think it goes better and I'll continue to ride it as a thruster and maybe only go back to a quad set up for small waves if I don't have a groveller with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcruz View Post
            I had the opportunity to truly test drive my 6'1 HR on the biggest south swell in recent years to hit central Ca ( Santa Cruz). The waves were ultra clean double overhead, 20 second interval power, throwing barrels. I am 5'9 165 lbs advanced surfer 43 years young surf almost everyday. I was so impressed by the board that I decided to share my experience in case anyone is considering this board. The board held in on the most critical sections, I felt that I could really bury the rail at top speed, so fluid so fast, and great release off the top. Also great nose rocker very trustworthy on hollow sucking drops.

Thanks for the review, I'm in the market for a board for the OH+ days in Santa Cruz and was looking at the 6'3" Hellrazor. I'm 5'11 175lbs so the 6'3" sounds about right. I was actually in Hawaii when that South swell hit and was missing home when I saw the photos of the lines just stacked and peeling from 38th to the hook. The swell was huge and messy in Kauai. Any additional feedback on the Hellrazor? Thruster vs. Quad, fin recs, etc. Thanks again for the review.

Comment

I have had my 6'1" Hellrazor FST for a year now and love it when the surf gets OH. I am 5'11", 170 pounds and classify myself as an intermediate/advanced surfer. The board paddles really well, rocker is great for steep drops and is very responsive. I have surfed it exclusively the last month because the surf in Central California has consistently been OH. I ride it with K3s and get plenty of drive. I have been meaning to experiment with quads but have little incentive lately. Only issue I have is adjusting to the extra length coming from a 5'6" Potatonator but I have a bad habit of shifting too far forward when pumping. Overall great board for high performance surf and I think the volume of the 6'1" is good if you are similar size/ability.

Comment

I have had my 6'1" Hellrazor FST for a year now and love it when the surf gets OH. I am 5'11", 170 pounds and classify myself as an intermediate/advanced surfer. The board paddles really well, rocker is great for steep drops and is very responsive. I have surfed it exclusively the last month because the surf in Central California has consistently been OH. I ride it with K3s and get plenty of drive. I have been meaning to experiment with quads but have little incentive lately. Only issue I have is adjusting to the extra length coming from a 5'6" Potatonator but I have a bad habit of shifting too far forward when pumping. Overall great board for high performance surf and I think the volume of the 6'1" is good if you are similar size/ability.

Comment

Glad you're stoked on the HZ meekthefreak!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                  X