X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW board best suited for choppy beach breaks

Just wondering what the gurus thought of a board best suited for choppy onshore conditions. Thanks in advance on your opinions out there. I mainly surf in Florida and as you can see I have a lot going on with FW. Out of all of my FWs I I tend to surf the HZ or SP the most. I love the Vanguard but it doesn't do that well it that well in choppy conditions. The SP due to low rocker pretty much throws me over the handle bars every time. Just wanted to see what works for you in similar conditions.

Are we talking decent size and punchy but choppy, or small and choppy wind swell?

Comment

its florida... small choppy wind swell i'm sure

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Could be when the hurricanes and TS track too close and there's solid waves but plenty of wind with it.
        Probably means small weak stuff though.

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Could be when the hurricanes and TS track too close and there's solid waves but plenty of wind with it.
        Probably means small weak stuff though.

I could see the Potatonator or Dominator as being a good option for you. The PN will have some aspects of the dominator and the potato boards making it a good board for both messy small chop, as well as smaller "decent" waves. The Dominator is also a hybrid, but with more shortboard characteristics, which you may enjoy since you are liking your HZ and SP. The Dominator can also be ridden in small surf (not quite as well as the PN), but is a good small wave board for the surfer who rides high performance boards regularly.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

for me here on the east coast.. its all about the break you surf. i surf two different breaks primarily and i don't even think about taking out my potatonator even when its tiny (knee-waist) at a wedgy jetty i love.. i feel like the foam gets in my way. Love my unibrow there from 2 to 6ft + but at another beach break thats softer the potatonator works well in the micro stuff and up to chest high.. although i might start pushing my uni into the lower range there as well... i didn't like the bottom range of the dominator or the upper for that matter.. i think it sits in the stomach/chest high range

Comment

Choppy onshore small to mid range the Pnator, for Florida it should work nicely

Comment

K24Surfer nothing is good for choppy onshore conditions haha...BUT if you are desperate to surf I would recommend a heavier board and possibly PU instead of epoxy. Best options from FW would probably be their longboards or FST boards...

ALOHA!!

Comment

Hey Thanks Guys. I have a 5'6" PN and really don't like it that much, it seems slow and boggy compared to a sweet potato. I was just curious if there were guys out there that the vast majority of waves they get are choppy, mushy, weak surf. I hear what you are saying hawaii_boi though just never could get into the longboard thing! All of my boards are FST except the Vanguard. I love that board but the wave has to have some power for it to work for me. Very intrigued by your comments as well Kdropin, so you can surf that board in 1-2' windslop? How does it perform? Didn't you get a Vanguard as well? When do you ride that and in what size and conditions? I looked at the Unibrow as well as the Chubby Chedda and now the Lost V2 Rocket. So many choices... Right now I really only surf three boards, the 5'2" Sweet Potato, 5"6" Vanguard and the 5'11" Hell Razor. My take on these are boards are like this: 5'2" Sweet Potato out performs hands down in 1-3' surf as long as it's not too choppy on the face otherwise I tend to hit the chop and get pitched over the handle bars. Also, I have issues with it if the wave is steep. In 2'-4' surf in some power even with some chop the Vanguard, finally the Hell Razor is just such a great board in anything clean and powerful. I really think this the best board I have every owned. I would love to hear your thoughts guys on what you ride and why you chose that particular model. Thanks!

Comment

Different boards will work better for different people and their surfing styles/ preferences. The SP shouldn't really be ridden in surf that is bigger than 3ft, especially if the conditions are clean and powerful - might be why you are having issues with it on steep drops. That board works well in mushy, small, and weak surf, but does not have the precision you need to ride "good" waves. The Hell Razor and the Vanguard are both great high performance short boards. I love both of these boards. You might want to consider taking out your Vanguard in surf that is bigger than 2-4ft. (as you mentioned), because the bigger the waves are (to a certain degree), the better that board will perform. Check out this video of Stu Kennedy shredding on the Vanguard in good sized surf: http://vimeo.com/66160884

Comment

• Slowman
                  Slowman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great video, looks like some of it was shot at Lennox Head and maybe the beach breaks were Ainsworth

Hey Thanks Josh! I saw this video when you guys came out with the V4, it has some amazing surfing in it. Unfortunately for me I have to travel to get waves like that. We probably only get 20 days a year like that and that would be right time, right place. This is why I started this thread. I really am intrigued by the Unibrow though especially after reading Kdropin's post. It's enlightening to hear opinions from guys who have no choice but to surf imperfect surf and what they feel serve's them best in these conditions.

Comment

We have small choppy wind swell in Texas.
                  My 5-8 Dominator makes it easy to catch every wave.
                  But when the chop is disorganized chop, it is very hard to control.
                  What FW model will crush the chop and keep me from getting bounced off?

Comment

If I can't shortboard because it's too choppy, then I take out a longboard, or I don't surf (chop isn't very fun). But if it's small mushy surf with some texture, I would take out a SP or BP. Those two would probably work better in deteriorating conditions than a Dom, and otherwise a TJ Everyday or Submoon would do the trick.

- FIJ

Comment

Yes Josh, you are so right. Maybe I want the impossible.
                      A floaty shortboard that can handle the chop.

I do have a 6-0 Sweet Potato that acts like a long board.
                      It has a deep double concave.
                      It ignores all chop and gives a smooth smooth ride.

My 5-8 Dominator makes it easy to catch every wave.
                      On many days it is the perfect board.

BUT when the chop is nasty,
                      the Dominator feels too big and is very hard to control.
                      The ride is bouncy and I feel unstable.
                      I just hate getting bucked off in my bottom turn,

Thanks, Win
                      6-0, 180 pounds.. advanced.
                      5-8 Dominator, 6-0 Sweet Potato, 6-0 Quadflex
                      Last edited by windyway; 03-28-2014, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X