Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrazor 63" to Bali

Hi guys,

Last year I bought a Dominator 58", and after getting used to it, Im loving it. I live in Portugal and weight 72kg and 1.75m high. In January Ive been to Cape Verde to surf Ponta Preta with it. Perfect to catch the waves and speed, however it was not the board for those perfect conditions.
    So, next September I will go to Bali and Im planning to buy an Hellrazor 63" for the bigger days and perfect conditions. The volume is quite the same, however the portuguese dealer didnt order any unit, and Im thinking about buying one from UK, which means it will get a bit more expensive for me. In order to take this hard decision, Im searching for some help. What do you think about this choice, is it the ideal for me, there is another similar model to fit my demands?
    By the way, Im an average surfer and Im planning to surf anything until 2x head high. Of course for the smaller days Ill use my DOM 58".

Thanks in advance,

Tiago

I think the Hellrazor will work well in Bali, but if you take the same volume as your Dominatir you will have the same problems in bigger surf. It will be a bit difficult to set an edge as you will be moving at a much higher speed. Drop around 10% in volume (in my opinion - seems to work for me) from hybrid to high performance board and go for the 5'11" Hellrazor. Might even see you in Bali at that time if I get get a good price on flights for the family. There couldn't be more than 12000 surfers on the island at that time of year, so we will probably share some waves. I'd even let you share yours first :) good luck picking a board.

Comment

Hey Tiago. Ponta Preta is a fun way ay! My parents had a place out there for a bit so I went over about 6 years ago. It's a shame about the world class kite surfers owning the place although they are nice guys. Mitu kills it. I agree with Sarge, you need less volume in better waves. I think you should look in the 27-28l range. Maybe the 6'0 thin Michel Bourez model which would be my pick for Bali, or the 5'11 HellRazor. 6'1 max!

Comment

First of all, thank you very much guys! Sarge, if you go let me know, since im going alone I would be very pleased if i have someone to surf with. Phill, yeah Ponta Preta is just a perfect wave, i just cant imagine if it was a left hander (im goofy footer).... I dont like much kiters, since im a windsurfer too :)

Concerning the board, I was told I would need something to catch the wave earlier because it can get hollow down there, thats why I was thinking about the 63". Even if it has the same volume than my DOM 58" i thought it was going to be easier to turn. The 61" is available here in Portugal, but Im afraid it would be too small....

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          The 6'1 would be plenty. If you like a little more volume and length the 6'1 is a good choice.
          You'd only need more length for big, crazy ulus and Padang I reckon. If you're looking to surf the big stuff then the Round pin flexfires are a good option.

i surfed my 6'1 hellrazor in feb in everything form solid 6 foot ulus to 2 foot kuta, im 85kg 5'11 tall and average surfer.. would not go anymore on the volume, would say go less if your lighter.. all boards paddle well good in indo, clean ,glassy.. get the volume right.. less is deffo better. enjoy ..and one bit of advice.. buy a decent motor bike helmet when you arrive if you pan on hiring a bike..

Comment

Depending on how gnarly of surf your plan on tackling, you also have your Artillery step up board option...

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Hey guys,

Again, thanks for your answers. Today Im going to check the 61" at the store. Let see what they have to say. However, do you think that a Dominator 58" and an Hellrazor 61" are compatible in the same quiver? Doesnt the Hellrazor step a bit in the Dominators "field"?

Thanks Josh, but I dont plan to go so hard! :)

Comment

I think they would be a good and compatible quiver. Most boards overlap a bit and if they don't then there is probably a big gap. Sure some people ride their Dom or Spit into the overhead range - I have in the past but I sure wouldn't choose to if I had a better board for those conditions. It will do it, but its at its limit and you will be limited by 'how' you are able to surf the Dom. A Hellrazor would allow you to fully commit to using the rail to carve through turns on waves that deserve to be treated with that respect. I'm not saying it isn't fun nursing a Dom on larger waves, but its more fun cranking proper turns at speed. (And its no fun at all as the wide tail of the Dom gets sucked up the face, then dropped out of the lip while you're setting up what should have been perfectly makeable barrel) that's just me.

Comment

Hi guys,

Been with the 61" in my hands yesterday. The guy guaranteed me that it is the right choice for me, as the 63" with be very big, and the 511" would be too short. Probably Im going to buy it tomorow or the day after, but I think ive made my choice. Now lets hope there are some waves to test it in Bali, and hope as well the crowds will let me do it! Agains, thanks for your advice, Im building my firewire quiver, onde board per year :)

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good choice. Let us know how you get on!

Yo buddy,

i have the 5.8 dom and the 6.1 hellrazor, the dom is my main 1-3ft board then if it gets steep or more than 3ft then the hellrazor comes out, the hellrazor is a hell of a lot better on steeper bigger waves, picks a line beautifully, you can commit to the rail, unlike the dom on bigger waves, plently of nose rocker for the steep waves, paddles very fast aswell. You made the right choice with the 6.1

Comment

Its already mine! Just waiting to heal an injured elbow and I will try it! Unfortunately I damaged a fin box in my DOM, so it will be off for at least a week. No big deal, since I have a brand new hellrazor to try! As soon as Ill get a taste of it, ill let you know how it feels.

Comment

Working...
                  X