X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to costa rica

bouncing around the whole country (point breaks, beach breaks, hollow, not so hollow, a little bit of everything) and i have a 6'1 doc lausch as my biggest board

i have a 5'6 spitfire that has been my go to board for about a year (south florida, knee high windslop to 2 ft overhead hurricane surf) and i love it, but im not quite sure if it's going to cut it for costa's diversity and punch

im 5'8 140lbs intermediate

should i be thinking of picking up a 5'8 hellfire or 5'10 hellrazor or sticking with what i have?

Hey Stay, What areas particularly you going to be going to? and where do you see yourself spending the most of your time. If you are looking at being in tamarindo a lot than I would say go with a Hellfire, the waves tend to usually be a bit weaker in that area. That't not to say that the HF is a board for fat waves, I surfed it here in Santa Teresa in up to double overhead and it went great, I think maybe a Hellrazor would of been a bit better though. For Santa Teresa, Jaco and Hermosa I would say def go with a HR it will make those really steep waves and barrel sections be that much easier due to the overall refinement the board has compared to the HF. If you are going to be bringing the 5'6 spit with you than get a Hellrazor no question. The HR with the SF with give you the widest range of waves that you would be fit to surf. I currently only have a 5'6 spit and was surfing solid overhead + Santa Teresa today, so much fun!
    Hit me up If you get to ST!
    Cheers and happy shopping!

Comment

hey thanks for the info.

we're going to be staying on playa grande (hotel las tortugas) as our base camp more or less. we'll be surfing negra, grande, prob avellanas and we're hoping to grab a boat to witches for a session, and we might try and make it to ollies and/or pavones for a day, but we'll be up north for the most part. my doc lausch is a pretty good board for hollow racey waves, and the spit is gangster for the smaller stuff (it was even fun in hurricane irene) but in order to pick up another board i might have to sell that one to get the cash. in light of all that, does your answer change at all? i think im feeling the hellfire vibe just because i would wind up using it more where i live...at the same time, i don't wanna bring a knife to a gunfight (been there done that)...

Comment

sell the spitfire to pick up a hellfire/razor**

Comment

Las tortugas, I have stayed there. I think ideally you want to complement your spitfire for sure with a board built for better waves. Going with the Hellfire or Hellrazor definitely give you more flexibility when you get back to Florida.

I think the Hellrazor will extend your quiver a bit more and give you added Performance, as would even the Alternator. Going to central America as the south swells begin to show, I would definitely want a proper HP board.

Hope this helps.

Comment

yeah thanks bud!

if you had to pick one board for everything from knee-waist high chop (florida) to head high grande which would you go for fire or razor?

the unfortunate part of this is that i'm probably going to have to sell my spit to afford whichever i decide on...thats why im leaning more fire than razor...still have a board that can make fun out of typical florida

Comment

more or less i don't want to spend $700 on a board i'm going to ride for a week in CR and then twice a year at home in south florida but i still want a baord that's going to cut it in both places...

Comment

yeah stay surf, that's the call. Hellfire if you are selling the spitfire. The Hell razor really is a more refined board with a smaller "optimum surf range."

Comment

Cool, agreed and much appreciated, Chris!

Chito, you got anything to add since you live there?

Comment

just got my 5'8 hellfire FST and im taking it to typhoon lagoon in 2 weeks and then costa in july. I'll let you all know how it does ASAP. Thanks for all the help fellow firewire fiends.

Comment

I want to go to Typhoon lagoon!!

Comment

haha its so much fun Chris. even tho the wave is just decent (prob a 6 CA scale, an 8 for FL haha) its just you, your buddies, your fav music and no freaking paddling! def one of the best "surf trips" you can go on!

Comment

I would say get the Hellrazor. It will cover you for the most variety of conditions here, and also the feedback I have read about them is very good. I get mine at the end of the month and when I do I will be able to give you a first hand report of how it goes down here.
                          I had a 5'8 Hellfire and It was amazing, had to sell it for various reasons but the year that I had it for was a good year of surfing. That board did a lot for my surfing, took it up a couple levels and I am hoping now that the Hellrazor will take it up a few more!
                          But I would recommend the Hellrazor for sure, at a first glance basis I would say the HR will be a bit better when its not necessarily big but really hollow. Some times the beach breaks here, especially right now, get very dry on the inside bar. Right now out front the sand bar is way out there and it makes the waves break in literally like knee deep water on the inside. sometimes less. And when it gets like that, the refined outline of the HR will give it a leg up over the HF. Its not that the HF doesn't surf big waves good, it does handle big stuff impressively well but I feel like the width in the tail and more hybrid outline made the really dredgy low tide stuff a bit tricky sometimes.
                          Hope this helps a bit
                          Pura Vida

Comment

Make sure you quiver up on different fins. Its makes all the difference, switching from Tri to Quad on different waves and sizes.

Comment

i changed my mind. i'm selling all my boards and bringing a surf kayak. should be crazy fun!

totally kidding. thanks for all the advice and input. i got the hellfire and i think im just gonna load up on fin setups. point of no return! bank accounts dry haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X