X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell razor 2

Has anyone had the chance to ride the hell razor 2. Any reports on how it goes?

I have a 601 HZ2 on order not sure when it will arrive....hopefully in the the month or so.

I have had a 601 HZ which I really liked and i have been told the HZ2 surfs a lot better than the original HZ.

Comment

yeah sweet, keep me updated. i cant decide whether to go the original or the 2. is there many changes in regards to the performance from the hz to the hz2

Comment

The original HZ was a good board but quite wide and thin. The new HZ2 is a lot more refined and like that is has the rounded square tail rather than the coffin tail.

Will let you know when i get it and how it surfs.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Doesn't it have the same tail?

• Fazza
          Fazza commented
          Editing a comment
          It has a squash tail now instead of the coffin tail. Still has the step rail through the tail section but into a squash tail.

yeah guys good stuff. Fazza, you are right on. The Hellrazor II moves foam under foot, closer to the center line, more like what Michel rides and actually was kind of the request of pros riding it. it rides similarly and in generally the same conditions, it just feels like the foam is a little more where you want it to be which allows a smoother experience in an out of maneuvers. That said, i love my original hellrazor...

Comment

hey boys thanks for the epic responses, appreciate it. just one more spanner to throw in the works, am looking at a v4 as well, do you think the hr2 or v4 will be better for everyday waves?
          wish i had the coin i would get both! i surf beachies normally, with the occasional reef session. cheers

Comment

What is "everyday waves" for you? The wave has to have some push for either board to work properly, but because the HZII is more of a standard short board shape, I'd reckon it'd work better on a daily basis.

Comment

i would want to be surfing with this board when the waves are 3-4 ft plus, so there would definitely be some force behind the waves. i have a mate with a vangaurd do you think this would give me a similar feel as a v4, or are they completely different in the way they ride? would like the board to work even when the surf could be onshore, and have a bit of water moving around

Comment

hey daco,
                The Hellrazor is a bit different than the V4. Think if the hellrazor as your performance shortboard with a traditional ride. The V4 has a wider tail, a straighter rail profile through the back half of the board and a wider tail. You are also probably riding the V4 2-3 inches shorter than the hellrazor so would draw a slightly shorter arc. They are both super sick boards but they do have pretty tangible differences in the way they ride.

Cheers and hope this helps.

Comment

I have a 6'5 HZ and a 6'0 V4 and the difference is very noticeable. The V4 turns very tight quick arcs while the HZ is more of a fast down the line board. Because I'm bigger I like the extra width to keep me moving through dead sections. The best surfs I've had on my HZ are very fast down the line barrels where you weren't really trying to do short quick tight arcs anyway. It still turns and snaps off the top nicely but not like the V4. Though I'm still not sure I have the right fin combination for the HZ, as a quad it's "bullshit fast" but seems a bit stiff and seems to turn better as a thruster and while fast, isn't "bullshit fast" LOL.

Comment

Should have my 601 HZ2 any day know hopefully get some waves on it Friday and over the weekend..........

Comment

First surf on the 6'1 HZ2 this morning 3-4ft beachie some nice lefts and rights. Surfed with Futures EA Techflex fins. Board paddles really well, gets into waves early, seems pretty fast down the line and turns good. Need a few more sessions with some good waves but so far I prefer it to the original 6'1 HZ.

Comment

• Pooh beach
                        Pooh beach commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Fazza out of interest why do you prefer HZ II to the HZ? what was the diff in how they rode? Was one looser or better in the pocket,tighter snaps than the other with the tail change? Tossing up between the two so be keen to get your feedback. Cheers
                        Last edited by Pooh beach; 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM.

• Fazza
                        Fazza commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pooh Beach,

It has been a while since i rode the HZ and cannot do a recent compare as i do not have it anymore. So from what i remember of the HZ ride the new HZ2 feels a little smoother in the turns, nice and fast down the line, it is a bit more pulled through the tail and has a bit more volume under chest/front foot. The rails through the tail are nice and low and i prefer the rounded square tail on the HZ2 to the coffin tail on the HZ1. The HZ1 was quite a wide board and thin with the new HZ they have kept the same volume by narrowing the board and redistributing the volume. It paddles really well and i have surfed it at 3-4 foot well known South West beach break and again at the same beach break at 4-6 foot and felt confident paddling it into waves and taking off.

So far i really like it and i think if its a newer and improved version of the HZ1 its got to be better :)

• Pooh beach
                        Pooh beach commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesome thanks mate, I've ordered the HZ II today. Stoked you mention surfing it at a certain sw beach break as I have an inkling that it's probably the place I had in mind as far as the kind of surf I intend to use the HZ II in, 3-6ft hollow punchy ect. I know it's probably a long shot but have you surfed the flexfire at all? Was thinking of getting one as a step up for bigger days, reefs, up north, indo ect.

Thanks again for the reply mate.

Wow the input here is great guys. It's hard to believe that there is a board made better than the original HZ. I have ridden mine in Hurricane swells both Victory at Sea conditions and super clean to Playa Hermosa in Costa Rica. I agree, with quads in it the HZ absolutely flys and as a thruster setup I don't really turn the board I just flick it. I am very intrigued by the response in this thread about the HZ2 being better. In Florida we don't get many barrel opportunities so when I travel I am a bit nervous in those conditions but the HZ is just so great in the barrel that I try and go where that's all it does! I would love to try the HZ2 on the same day with my HZ. It would be really cool to go and surf with someone who has one and trade off especially if we rode the same size board hint, hint Chris. I probably wouldn't buy one until mine breaks though unless I won the lottery, talk my wife into how happy she would make me if she bought me one, got drunk, watched a surf video of a guy killing it or...

Comment

haha i wish there were more demo days in waves good enough to ride both Hellrazors! they are both killer shapes, pretty similar. I actually feel if you like the HZ, the HZII is kind of a lengthened out HZ, but only slightly so. almost to the point where the HZII might be best for people that the HZ didn't quite fit...

Comment

• Phill
                          Phill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I felt one up at the weekend. Felt like a nice board!

Further to my comment to Fazza, would appreciate any advice as to deciding on a new standard go to shorty for my quiver. My standard go to shorty I usually ride is 6'1 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4, single to double, swallow tail (have always preferred swallow tails on my high performance shortboards) boxy rails (don't like thin rails). I usually prefer swallow tails as like to surf in the pocket, tight snaps ect as live in west oz so usually punchy hollow waves. The HZ seems like a good compromise as all the FW with swallows are more grovel/hybrid boards Are the rails on HZ models fairly boxy/not as thin as alternator rails? Am thinking 5'10 HZ II. I'm 5'8 and 73kg, aside from its lack of my preference for swallow tail would HZ be close to my standard shorty as described above or would a 5'10 Futura be closer to my shorty? I've got a 5'6 dom which I love for grovelling, and had a 5'10 jacknife but found the rails to thin and it surfed a little knifey/bogged rail a but when trying to bury it on big turns. I just got a 5'9 chubby chedda for next board up from my dom and so am thinking a HZ II or Futura for my go to shorty and then a 6'2 flexfire round tail as stepup. Waddya reckon! Apologies for bombarding the thread with so many questions, just that not much of a range of FW boards in shops here so can't see the actual boards before ordering so trying to get as much info as I can before I go ahead and buy. Thanks in advance.
                        Last edited by Pooh beach; 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X