X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrazor of Quadra-Five

Okay, one more comparison question for the Hellrazor...

Unfortuinately, Two days ago a creased my 4 month old 6.0 Helfire just forward of the widepoint. The surf was not huge. Barely overhead hollow reef break and my board did not make contact with the bottom. I was very surprised when I noticed the crease across the entire bottom and over the rails on each side. I did not expect this from a Firewire.

I really enjoyed the Hellfire as a Quad with the Von-Sol nub. I now see the Hellrazor and Quadra-Five as options to replace my Hellfire. Any input wrt these two shapes is appreciated.

I surf relatively steep reef breaks exclusivly here in Guam, and have been doing so on and off for over 25 years. I weigh in at 165lbs at 5'9".

I also own a 6'8" Firewire Step-up gun.

MTougher

I can't speak to how the Quadra 5 goes as i have never had one or ridden one.

I do have a 6'1 HellRazor and love it. I have previously owned a Hellfire that was too big for me so i sold it and bought the Hellrazor. The Hellrazor has some Hybrid DNA but rides like a performance short board. IF you really love the way your Hellfire rode then i would definitely consider the Hellrazor.

I have surfed mine in fast, punchy, sucky reef and beach breaks from above hip to healed and a half on the face and the board just loves those conditions.

Regards
    Fazza

Comment

Ive surfed Guam back in the mid 1980's, IMO Better board between the two would be the HellRazor for Guams waves IE: Agana, Magundas, Merizo. While I own the Quadra five, its rocker is tuned to a softer fun wave. I have only held a smaller Hell Razor, but notice quite a bit of difference in rocker, and shape. Hell razor is a lighter performance board, all in all and should love the barreling waves of Guam. My only hold back would be of course if you are not in shape to paddle the Hell Razor then go for the Quadra Five its easier to Paddle with its rocker, but a wider board, especially in the swallow tail. Too bad about the crease in your hell fire , these flukes are inevitable in any wave. Ive seen snapped boards in waist high surf.

Sure miss those Boat Basin Barrels. Ricks Rights was surely a wierd wave, I did not understand why people surfed it unless it was big.

Comment

Yeah mtougher bummer!! the overhead hollow reef pass wave can take its toll....

Good stuff, I agree with your suggestions fritz. The Quadrafive you would also ride a little longer which might be better in the down the line reef pass conditions....

Cheers

Comment

Heres how I remember Guam in the 1980's , but way less crowded then mostly body boards, Maybe 5 guys in the water. I imagine all the grommets in that generation and their kids are now surfing.
          Sick Barrels better than Ala Moana but a little shorter.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8C6KHKeY5E
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxSyh...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post
            Heres how I remember Guam in the 1980's , but way less crowded then mostly body boards, Maybe 5 guys in the water. I imagine all the grommets in that generation and their kids are now surfing.
            Sick Barrels better than Ala Moana but a little shorter.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8C6KHKeY5E
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxSyh...eature=related
            I was one of those grommets I am sure.... at least through 86'. I used to ride Bill Barnfield and Aipa back in the day. Times have changed but some other things never will.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X