X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrazor-Recommend Fins

Just ordered a 6'3" Hellrazor and looking to buy a future 5-fin set-up. Any recommendations?

Hey Jkwatu, what do you weigh?

Going off just the board though, i think you might go after a set like the Rustys or even think about getting a nice thruster set like the EA fins or the JC1s and then just a standard pair of quad trailers?

Experimentation is going to be key!

Comment

Hi Chris,

I'm 150lbs and eying the 6.3. Would H3 mediums or K2.1 tri work well? These sets I already have.

Comment

I just rode the 6'7" with the Machado thruster fins in head high to overhead surf at HB river jetties. Good hold, Pretty smooth feeling ride. Like eating peanut butter. Made a couple of really nice carving cut back type turns and was able to throw the tail a little. This is definitely a fun board.

I plan to experiment with some additional future set-ups (MB, EA, R1, etc.) from the tree when I get some time. I will also test out a four fin set up as well. I will reply back with feedback later.

6'2" - 178 LBS. Have always ridden longer boards with more volume (33L to 42L)

Comment

yeah those fins are right up your alley...

Comment

I rode my HZ with the SA4 and Rasta quads and I reckon they're too drivey for this board! I love the Machados on it, they've got plenty of hold and the good turns you get from a truster. The F4 are good fun too but a bit too small, maybe the Clay Marzo if you're light? I think the WCT would probably be the best ones but I haven't had a chance to try them.

Comment

I picked up a set of EA blackstix for my next, next board which will be Futures. Looking at the template I think they will be good ones. They are very similar to the DL template which I normally use, just a little different in the tip. They are very neutral feeling fins and hold well through a full rail carve but also release well in snaps. I'm sure the V2 foil will have a big impact on the performance though, but looking forward to seeing how they go. Shame it'll be about a year or something before I actually get to use them....

Comment

I have been using the Techflex CM2's in my 601 Hellrazor and decided to try the Techflex EA's......could net get them to work for me really stiff.

I have some Techflex WCT's and tried them in the Hellrazor and finding I am liking the drive and pivot of those fins more than the CM2's.

Comment

yep k2.1's for me.. similar to wct's

Comment

Okay I tested thruster v quad. Feedback as follows:

Bigger waves go with tri. Smaller surf go with quad.

Thruster = Very precise. Knifes through turns like butter. Needs a little push.

Quad = Okay the quad felt a little lame at first but by the end of the session it completely won me over. Much more lively underfoot and more speed generated. I have to admit I just straight up had more fun on the quad.

In general I have always felt that quads will turn differently. A thruster seems to bleed speed when turning but the upside if the ability to release the fins, throw tail, etc. Whereas the quad set-up allows you to gain speed while turning.

That's my two cents. Can't wait to try the quad in bigger surf to see how it handles.

Comment

another epic session on the razor today with the k2.1s board is just so good.... 3-5 ft

Comment

Originally posted by Lizardman View Post
                        Okay I tested thruster v quad. Feedback as follows:

Bigger waves go with tri. Smaller surf go with quad.

Thruster = Very precise. Knifes through turns like butter. Needs a little push.

Quad = Okay the quad felt a little lame at first but by the end of the session it completely won me over. Much more lively underfoot and more speed generated. I have to admit I just straight up had more fun on the quad.

In general I have always felt that quads will turn differently. A thruster seems to bleed speed when turning but the upside if the ability to release the fins, throw tail, etc. Whereas the quad set-up allows you to gain speed while turning.

That's my two cents. Can't wait to try the quad in bigger surf to see how it handles.
                        You only have to look at all of the Stretch surfboards used in the Eddy, Mavs and Chopes to know they work very very well in big surf. Did you see Kelly throwing fins and releasing the tail at Lowers??? I love quads..most of my boards are quads and yes I agree they "can" ride differently than a thruster but mostly that depends on the type of quad fin positioning. McKee and Stretch have that sorted.

Comment

Hey FW - Fan you are preaching to the choir! I love quads in bigger surf. I saw those Stretch interviews from a few years back. Definitely made me a believer. I probably should have clarified:

Small Waves = Quad
                          Medium = Thruster
                          Large = Quad

Again that is the guide I will follow. Up to each individual to determine what works best- "author your own practice" as they say in yoga.

As far as Slater yeah he killed it! I saw him up close at the US Open and noticed he was changing fins for every heat. He is very much in touch with his boards. I think more of the top pros would benefit from experimenting with some different board technologies, different fin set-ups, and different dimensions. Machado commented that he believed Slater was committed to using epoxy for contests in California b/c he wanted more flotation.

I do recall hearing some chatter two years ago that some people thought Slater's turns looked good (riding quads) but that he was worried the judges might not respond given he wasn't seeing the big spray you get with thrusters. I agree with that, quads have a nice turn- more of a natural rounded turn and it doesn't bleed off speed- but I don't see the snap release as pronounced as a thruster. BTW- take a look at Jordy's hack in the quarters... ridiculous.

Comment

pics kdropin?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              pics kdropin?
                              i wish i did! i don't have a camera.. i took some with my cell from two weeks ago i'll try to post up here..sundays swell was just so user friendly. perfect A-frames smooth drops and long walls to work and plenty of rights to boot (li is the land of lefts)

hey chris on another note about fins.. i really like the k2.1s because they pivot unreal for quick snaps in the pocket(which the razor does so easy) but when i tried drawing out the turn to do a full on cutback off the foam it seems to lose a lot of speed coming around.. probably the archer not the arrow but i know you have ridden the jw's would those help keep some speed and still have the pivot or are they both so similiar it'd b a wash

Comment

Working...
                              X