Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi found Nevs response from the old forum.
    Sorry my mistake its 29.7 - not 28.7 as I have been thinking for the past 2 years (no wonder there's not much difference in float) (I thought it only felt like 200ml difference)

nev January 2010 Permalink
    Mate...the older Alternator would have had a volume 30l and the current on 33l. The difference is that we bumped up the thickness from 2 3/8" to 2 1/2"

Re same volume and length, but longer as a step up, will not necessarily paddle the same. If anything less well as Mark said due to the reduced planning area under your chest, but it would be close. For example the FE606P 18 3/4 x 2 1/2 step up has the same volume as your first AR 602 at 29.7l

Comment

so the step up 66 flex would paddle better than the old 62 alternator because of the extra planing area? or would i be better to grab a 602 round alternator as a step up? with 31.3 li? or will the extra length of the 66 get me in t waves just as extra volume would?

Comment

Actually, that was the other part of my original question in that forum. The answer was 'no' a longer board of the same volume will paddle slightly less well than a shorter one, due to less volume/ float directly under your body mass.
        A longer board however does have a longer glide between strokes -but you would want a slight increase in volume to appreciate it.

Comment

Ohh k so I would be better to go for the 6'2 roung tail alt? Hmm I think my 4 board quiver is going to be a 510 Dom, 6'0 mini driver or stealth, 6'0 thick bourez and 6'2 round alt? How's that sound??

Comment

Yeah sarge that is accurate there on the 602 2 3/8...

Jneave, what about a small wave buster?? I would say get a small wave beast before the Minnie Driver??

Comment

Oh I thought that the minni driver was a small wave beast hmm what would a good beast be for small waves??

Comment

spud or baked

Comment

I reckon the Mini will handle punchy waist high up to anything you're game to paddle it in to. There's a video of Mason Ho on at 5'9 surfing solid pipe.
                  I don't think it's quite going to be a groveller but in small, quality waves I reckon it'll rip.

If you're looking for something for smaller than your Dominator then the Potato family is where it's at.

Comment

Hmm I might go for a 54 sweet pot? Will the extra volume allow me to rip small waves or should I go for the 52 based on the easy planing area and flat rocker? What is more important the shape( surface area and rocker) or volume when it comes to surfing small waves? Or any wave for that matter.. Because someone told me I could get away with a 510 sub scorcher in waist to head high punchy waves even thought it is only 29 liters.. That's less than the bourez model I'm thinking about

Comment

I'm your weight and was riding the 508 Sub in those conditions. It was the lowest volume of my boards actually but went good. The 510 would be plenty for you.
                      502 or 504 sp is a good pick. I like the 502, it has plenty of volume but the 504 will still go great.

If it helps, I found the 510 Dom a little big so you may prefer to go a size up from me in those other boards.

Comment

That's why I'm debating going 5'4 or 5'2 sweet potato.. Because even though the 5'2 has less volume than my 5'10 Dom, due to the flatter rocker and added surface area will the 5'2 potato get me into smaller surf as good or better than the Dom?

Comment

I don't find the 5'2" to be a great paddler. It's so short it has no glide. My Spitfire and my CBD both probably paddle better.
                          I wouldn't say it catches waves exceptionally early either. If even a small wave is close to breaking though it catches it with exceptional ease. One or two strokes and it's off, and then it doesn't take a lot of wave to keep it going.
                          I wouldn't be looking at paddling into little lumps on the outside with the longboarders though.

Comment

yeah im not really a fan of the potatoes... i think the dom is as low as i would need to go ive surfed 1 foot on it. at the moment im looking at a 2-3 board quiver im thinking 510 dom, 600 thick bourez and some sort of step up. do you think the bourez has too much rocker for tofino bc? im sure it would be good on heavier days

Comment

It rarely ever gets hollow anywhere in the PNW, with the possible exception of places like the cove in Westport during a winter swell. I've certainly never see the Tofino breaks get truly hollow. For that reason I think a board with lots of rocker is sort of wasted. If I was putting together a 3 board quiver, I'd build around my El Fuego (which is absolutely brilliant in the waves we tend to get here), something like a Hellfire or Hellrazor for the bigger or steeper days, and add a Sweet Potato for fun. Given that you already have a Dominator, which will cover the majority of (non-winter) conditions, and given that you don't really like the Potatoes, maybe just look for a board that can handle head high to 2x.

Comment

Hmm yeah I was thinking that but the waves do get super steep they only don't through too hard over the top usually... I figure the rocker would be good for days like that? And the extra thickness would help kill some chop? I was told the hellrazor and bourez ride similar waves . I'm stuck

Comment

Working...
                                X