Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont get me wrong, some rocker is good, but you really dont need as much as you would on a super hollow break like Pipeline. With one or two exceptions, I have never realy has a wave suck out from underneath me the way they can in Australia, for example (places like D'Bah). Waves here get big, but never all that steep (it is just that they look steeper as they get bigger). I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Since I ride a hybrid (ElF) already, I figure the HZ or HF would be the way to go. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I'm a fan of higher rocker boards. I guess my local beachy is usually steep, but it's certainly not pipe.
      Curve just feels better under my feet.

Comment

Where are you stuck these days jneave?

One word, for small days, the Potatonator is a great option. you should check that.

When you are talking waist to slightly overhead, my favorite options that maximize performance without overloading you on the volume front are the Michel, Alternator and Hellrazor for sure. There are subtle differences across all of them. Alternator is a bit more relaxed on the rocker front, the michel is a true HP shortboard while the Hellrazor blends them a little bit by offering a little more width and the option of being ridden 1" shorter than your conventional shortboard.

How do you choose? Well I would base it on your current quiver probably. If you don't have a true thruster, limit yourself to the Alternator or the Michel. If you kind of want a more progressive hybrid, then the Hellrazor would be my choice....

Cheers and hope this helps to turn the gears.

Comment

Great help I feel that the Dom is an extra right now the size I got is too big however it does the trick. I'm going to split ways with it.. For small days a 5'8 potatonator seems unmatched, and for bigger not to perfect waves my 6'2 alt, for nice standard waves in thinking 6'0 bourez ( I'm liking boards with more rocker also prj it feels like I have better control at high speeds even if the wave isn't barreling.

Comment

How does the bourez rocker compare to the ci semi pro?? Because I've seen guys ripping that in tof and it went good. Also what are the bourez conclaves like?

Comment

hey jneave,
              i am not too familiar with the semi pro, but they are both boards developed by the worlds best surfers so they are going to go well in similar conditions. I just don't have the info to compare the two for you.

Also the bottom concave on the michel is a mellow single.

Cheers and hope this helps!

Comment

Alright I think it's going to be 508 potatonator, 510 sub scorcher, 600thick Michel model 606 flex step up... How's that quiver sound? Does each board and size seem okay for me?? And not overlap too much?

Comment

While all of those sound like superb choices, I think that given the waves around here you might have one too many. Personally, I'd go (from that list) P'Nator OR Sub Scorcher, MB, and a step up. The sub is a great board, but I just wonder if it and the PN are going to be overlapping. Maybe not surfing the same way, but certainly covering mostly the same range of waves. Anyway, I'd drop one of the boards from the list and use the $ to go on a surf trip to somewhere warm...

Comment

Yeah maybe. Although I am wanting the 508 potnator which is 33.9 l and a super wide tail and the 510 sub which is only 29 l so I was thinking that the sub wouldn't work in that 1 foot slop but instead need some punch in the small waves? Maybe you're right though. I was just think potatonator for 1-4 foot sloppy waves where I need the super flat rocker and lots ov vol to make speed and then the sub for 2-5 waves that are a bit nicer up until waves that have more punch where I would want the mb. I'm super interested in the potatonator because it looks like u could rip gutless waves however I like the sub because it reminds me of my Blak box that I broke last year but with added performance. Do you think the mb would be a good all around sb with its added vol for days that aren't perticularily barreling? If it needs that power that's why I was thinking the sub would be fun on days where it's not heavy enough to rip the mb. Maybe I'll start with the mb and potatonator and see if I need a middle board.

Comment

And I'm going to indo for 3-4 months this fall;)

Comment

Yeah the Sub is a good board, and in 510 it'll give you a little more lower range than my 508 gave me. I think maybe consider the 2.38" - 600 MB at your weight though. The thicker one is quite a lot of board, but again that's down to your volume preferences. I find my CBD Taj which is basically the 600 2.38" MB dims works in anything chest high with some shape and a little push and up. Very smooth board and actually quite forgiving. Those are the conditions I used the Sub in so it became a bit of an overlap, and even though the Sub probably should have the advantage in those conditions, the CBD felt like the better board for the way I try to surf.
                        I think the Potatonator could well cover you up until you want to be on a shortboard, but it's nice to have that in between board. It wouldn't be a bad idea to leave the Sub for a minute though and then decide whether it's needed.

Comment

Yeah, although I would say that going to Indo, for me personally, I don't think the Potatonator would make the travel bag. everything in into is steep enough for a narrower board.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by jneave View Post
                            And I'm going to indo for 3-4 months this fall;)
                            Hate's a strong word, but I hate you ;).

If I can get a 10 day boat trip in the next 9 months I'll be stoked. I think I'd pack my Futura and a (to be purchased) 6'6 Alt for such a trip, and probably buy a cheap step up over there.

Comment

Yeah the potatonator isn't going haha I was thinking bring the 606 flex step and get pitted. The potatonator is for at home When the waves are mushy babies. I was thinking the sub would work better for when the waves were small but clean. So I think I'll go with the 508 potatonator but now that I'm hearing people pushing for less volume do u think the 508 is too big?? Also for the mb is it true it can go custom now? Because I was thinking about going 601 18'7/8 2'3/8

Comment

P'Nator looks like the board you would ride 80-90% of the time at home. Remember that a bunch of people posting here are from OZ, and the waves there are much more punchy than they are in BC, Washington or Oregon (for the most part). The Aussies also get to surf pretty much every day and do not have 5mm of rubber covering them from head to toe. If I was back on the Gold Coast, I would be on smaller boards than I am now. (I even rode a super thin 6'6" when I was there that would hardly even float me here.) In short, the extra volume of the 5'8" would likely not hurt you in the least.

The MB as a a second board would be really nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X