Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point, i like my 5'8 but i'm trying a size up to see the difference, especially with winter around the corner. If it gets more waves and floats me more over the flat sections then happy days and it is for crap days

Comment

Originally posted by Gnubee View Post
      P'Nator looks like the board you would ride 80-90% of the time at home. Remember that a bunch of people posting here are from OZ, and the waves there are much more punchy than they are in BC, Washington or Oregon (for the most part). The Aussies also get to surf pretty much every day and do not have 5mm of rubber covering them from head to toe. If I was back on the Gold Coast, I would be on smaller boards than I am now. (I even rode a super thin 6'6" when I was there that would hardly even float me here.) In short, the extra volume of the 5'8" would likely not hurt you in the least.

The MB as a a second board would be really nice.
      You got a point there!!!!!.
      Had a blast yesterday with the Pnator. I usually ride my boards on the 30lts range and the 5'8 Pnator is a bliss. I see this thing catching all kinds in Maine. and once on the wave all that volume seems to disappear due to the step up deck. The board simply wants to stay on the wave

Comment

Yeah, the waves in RI, MA, ME are actually fairly similar to the ones in BC, WA, OR, and none of them (in general) stack up in terms of sheer power to what the Aussies get. For me, the 6'3" ElF at 39.8l is perfect for the PNW, and for New England, if I was still there. I can see the possibility for TONS of overlap between the Elf and P'Nator. If I was down under, and wanted a board to cover 80% of the waves I ride, I'd likely be on a 6'2"-6'4" Hellfire.

Comment

Hmm yeah I agree... Maybe the potatonator for smal 1-4 foot and I'll grab a mb thick for the rest.. I am on a 510 Dom now at 33'5 liters and find it is only a tad bit big to dig into fairly large waves here. So im thinking the mb will be great for all around... However I do think I would like to grab an in between board but that can come later

Comment

Honestly I'm really stuck on if I want to go thin or thick. I feel like thick would be a good idea for our average conditions that tend to hold less power and I feel like it will help me improve my short boarding a ton by getting me into waves earlier and still being able to have a tight turning radius. I feel that I should still be able to bury a rail due to the lack of sheer power we have up north. If anyone disagrees let me know because I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this board

Comment

I am 5'10" 165 and have had several FW dating back to my first three Quadraflexes. At one point I had five different boards but now five years later I have settled on these: 5'2" Sweet Potato for the really small weak days 1-3 ft. (a really fat mushy three feet), 5'10" Hellfire for the bigger punchier 2-3foot, and a 6'1" Flexfire Direct Drive for everything else.

I do admit though, I have ordered and am waiting to get a 5'6" Potatonator, and a 5'11" Hellrazor to possibly take the place of or compliment the sweet potato and Hellfire. I will never sell or get rid of my Direct Drive and god forbid if it ever breaks I will immediately buy another one with the same dimensions. I have ridden this board in double and approaching triple Overhead waves in Cost Rica and Hurricane swells in Florida and it has never let me down and fills me up with confidence when the waves are consequential. Please do add this to your quiver!

Comment

The 600 thick performs REALLY well....

I think you'd be happier without the extra length...

Comment

Hey Chris, is there a board that you recommend above others for larger, more powerful surf? I have the 6'1" FFDD and I rode my 5'11" HZ during Hurricane Sandy and they went fine but I go to Costa Rica Playa Hermosa a lot and it's sometimes scary big. I saw where you have the artillery series board. How are these to paddle, duck dive, ride etc. I want to go out but want to surf and not just get punished. Thanks a lot for your input!

Comment

From what Chris has said to me the Artillery 603 would be right up your street. I think it's something like 6'3 x 18"3/8 x 2"1/2 - 29.3l

On the right
                    Attachment

I'd imagine that'd get you into anything you'd want to surf in CR. There's the 606 and 608 Pin tail Flexfires too if you're nuts.... :)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey K24,
                      Stoked on the support. The thing to obviously remember is paddling out in costa in bigger surf, unless you are going to one of the few perfect points, you are going to get pounded no matter what board you are on. The big deal is choosing a board that fits waves that you are paddling into in respect to size. How big are you talking? Double overhead and hollow?

The Artillery is a great board but it is a board that is truly designed for bigger barrel riding, NOT as much for turning and performance. It has a wider point forward and volume under the front foot for pumping under the lip of a wave. An example, Timmy Reyes rides a 603 and 605 at solid Pipe and Backdoor so that helps give you a little perspective on the wave it was designed for.

Personally, I am looking at Alternator and Flexfire round tails long before the artillery unless you are CERTAIN you are going to have massive ones. If I were heading to Indo, off the cuff, I would have a 604 flexfire roundtail before an artillery because I want a little more of a shortboard feel. Those boards have good big wave applications but will be far more usable in slightly smaller conditions that you are more likely to see on your trip and around home. I think going from a 601 to an Artillery is too big of a step without having a more traditional step up.

I would encourage you to look at those.

Comment

Hey thanks very much! Your advice is spot on and I agree completely with you. Does Firewire still make the Flexfire in DD or do you recommend something with a springer with a roundtail? As far as big goes: I train with Jim Hogan in CR and he will call it head to three feet overhead but there are sneaker sets that come up every hour or so that are twice that! I have ridden there when Surfline has called it 8-10+ and it's hollow. Not as Hollow as Pipe or Puerto Escondido but plenty of power for sure. I live in Florida and want to start going to Puerto Rico as well and know that it gets very heavy there. I have a hard time judging size coming from Florida and also once I drop in I'm not thinking about how big the wave is. I'm getting along in age and have been surfing for 25 years but have recently learned I was doing it all wrong (arms and upper body out of whack). It's actually really cool though because I am getting to apply world class coaching and am filled with new confidence. It's like learning to surf all over again but on a professional level. Can't recommend Jim Hogan enough!

Thanks as always for your help.

Comment

yeah anything listed on our site in Direct Drive can be ordered/special ordered if its not in stock.

but yeah over in PR you could certainly find use for the Artillery series on the waves. Costa Rica I am sure you could as well. Talk with your coach too. He might have a few thoughts, plus he knows your surfing...

Comment

yeah anything listed on our site in Direct Drive can be ordered/special ordered if its not in stock.

but yeah over in PR you could certainly find use for the Artillery series on the waves. Costa Rica I am sure you could as well. Talk with your coach too. He might have a few thoughts, plus he knows your surfing...

Comment

Working...
                            X