Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers for the great responses guys very helpful. Love the razor in tropical reef waves but after something with a touch more volume in colder wetsuit climes. Chris is 6'6 jk more refined in the rails than a 6'6" hf? How would these differ in ride?

Comment

Originally posted by Magnet View Post
      Cheers for the great responses guys very helpful. Love the razor in tropical reef waves but after something with a touch more volume in colder wetsuit climes. Chris is 6'6 jk more refined in the rails than a 6'6" hf? How would these differ in ride?
      I just got one! Unfortunately, the wind was onshore by the time I picked the board up, it just wasn't worth bothering. So I can't tell you the difference between the JK and HF. Perhaps tomorrow morning I'll be in a position to make a comparison.

Comment

Let us know when you get a surf on that thing, i think you will be presently surprised as to how well it performs.

Comment

I'm keeping it in the boardroom, not that I'm a big AFL fan but go the Swannies...
          Attachment Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

Niceeee!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fazza View Post
              Let us know when you get a surf on that thing, i think you will be presently surprised as to how well it performs.
              First surf today. Predictions of more swell were both right and wrong! Standing on the beach it looked tiny with maybe a few 2' sets on the shore dump. A couple of other guys went home without getting wet. Just check this out to see what I mean http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/c....aspx?cam=4000 . My little beach always has at least another foot but it wasn't looking that way. Anyway had to go in before the onshore came up.

Glad I did I surfed for 2 hours and had the first 40 mins to myself. I walked down to the creek and there were a few lefthanders breaking along the shore dump. Sure enough wait for a bit and 3' sets would come even a little bigger but often just closing out if sitting too deep. A lot were 2 second rides where you hope just to get in a good turn off the bottom and do a closeout reo but every now and then a good one with lots of NE angle to it would sweep down along the shallow shore dump bank and go for maybe 10 seconds allowing maybe 2 or 3 turns.

The JK certainly paddles into them pretty well, I think as well as the spitfire, slightly better than the HF anyway. And unlike the spitfire it handled steep sucky take-offs pretty well. It gets moving pretty quick too, stand evenly weighted and the board has lots of speed down the line. I found it didn't turn too well with too much weight forward but shift weight towards the rear and you can feel the tail rocker turn the board for you.

I started out with the H3 quad set up with a nubby stabiliser and I found it a tad stiff, still OK but on my backhand it felt a bit weird and didn't always turn when I wanted it to and I'd end up in a horrible poo stance leaning back into the wave and bogging the turn but there were others where it turned well. It was the fuller sections where it was getting boggy. Wish I'd brought a fin key with me, anyway ran back to the car and took the stabiliser out and rode it as a straight quad - success! The board lit up and stopped the boggy sensation on the fuller sections. It seems to me the tail narrows down nicely and there is no need for a stabiliser.

For the next hour I had more fun and I'm sure it would have gone better than the spitfire as these waves were sucking on a pretty shallow bank pretty close to shore...so from that point of view it's one up on the spitfire. I still think the spitfire would still be a better option in 1-2' fat weak waves. These waves even though small still had plenty of punch but I'm not certain about that it still went through the flat bits OK, so maybe with more experience on it, it might be as good. It certainly smacks the lip and releases off the top fine and floats over crumbling lips well and handles steep landings well. Good drive off the bottom too. The H3 fins don't have as much drive as say the G-AM or R2 but with this board that extra drive doesn't seem to be needed. I know this board will go well in decent waves. I'll know more then and will be able to make a better comparison to with my HF but so far so good I'm impressed.
              Last edited by Slowman; 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Its a pretty refined board considering it is in the hybrid section and a lot less forward and rail volume than the Hellfire.

I first surfed mine with Futures TP1 fins and after speaking with Raz in firewire Oz he said he has been surfing his with Future WCT fins. I have a set of those and have been surfing the JK exclusively with those fins and found that board is really lose and still drivey. I think the WCT's are pretty close to FCS K2.1's. I too have found that evenly placing your weight the board just takes off and slightly shift weight to your back foot for your turns and that tail rocker kicks that board around, so easy to turn, the board feels so good under your feet.

I have surfed it in a some reasonable onshore pus in the last few days and the board still seems to perform fine.

Comment

I finally got some almost decent waves today and got to unlock some more of the potential. Ever since I've got it, the wave quality has gone off. No banks, onshores and any time where it has been OK for a moment I've had to go into the office. Anyway, got about 3-4' waves today and still very inconsistent and shifty peaks but got a couple of bigger ones where I got the chance to smash some lips. Again though always ending with some pretty dredging shories...the board snapping kind! I'm still yet to get some decent long waves...which always help really work out a board.

Feels a lot like my old Webber Afterburner in the way it turns and moves. It's fairly fluid and precise but it demands pretty precise foot placement. Get up in the wrong spot in these shitty waves and you've blown it. You still make the drop OK but that moment of awkwardness means you won't get down the line in time to make it. Good board so far but also demanding of its rider. Please God just send some decent waves so I can work this thing out completely!

Comment

Slowman- how do you pop up and land your foot on the stomp pad? I always pop up with my foot in front of the stomp pad and slide my foot back later. What technique do u use?

been having this problem and its getting critique that I have to get it right to survive my drops lol

Comment

try moving your hands further back as you pop up

Comment

Originally posted by xxthehenryxx View Post
                        Slowman- how do you pop up and land your foot on the stomp pad? I always pop up with my foot in front of the stomp pad and slide my foot back later. What technique do u use?

been having this problem and its getting critique that I have to get it right to survive my drops lol
                        I just pop up and land with my feet in the right spot generally (yes on the pad)...in my case it is just that it's a new board and because it is slightly different to my other boards the foot positioning is a little different. That said, different situations demand slightly different positioning and weighting it's these little nuances that take a little time to work out - especially if you can't get some good long waves where you have time to play around and experiment. Once it's worked out it's usually locked in. Then it's just those surprises like the backwash as you get to your feet or wind gusts and general onshore unpredictability.

xxthehenryxx, as PRJ suggests you might be a little far forward, in those critical take-offs having to slide your foot back will be enough of a delay to mean the difference between making the wave or not. It could also be your position from your last board, your instincts will eventually work it out but a little focus on making a change might speed things up.

Comment

yes indeed!!!

Good stuff everyone!

Comment

Fazza,
                            Which board do you like/recommend more JK or HR?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                              I'm keeping it in the boardroom, not that I'm a big AFL fan but go the Swannies...
                              Attachment Attachment
                              She is looking good there. How are you finding the Nexus fins bud.?
                              I like the look of the foil on those.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Also just to add onto what PRJ said if its steeper take off righthander regular footer. try to drop your inside hand back futher than your out side so that they are digional on the deck. That will help rotate your shoulders as you pop planting your tow pressure on the inside rail setting it sooner and helping back foot planting. I use a gim ball to pratice when out of the water. I find it helps with the muscle memory.

Comment

Working...
                                X