X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JacKnife Pictures

My new JacKnife arrive today and i must say that it looks really good in the flesh. It is a lot more refined than i thought it would be and has a nice amount of rocker in the nose and tail.

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
    Attached Files

Attachment Attachment

601 Hellrazor against the 6'0 JacKnife
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fazza; 08-15-2012, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Fazza, give all of us a run down on how it performs.............

Comment

First surf on the JacKnife this morning for around 3hrs at a beachie.

Was around shoulder to head high on the sets odd smaller one odd bigger one. The board is a lot more refined than what you think and you can certainly feel it when on the wave. Took me a couple of waves to get used to it but that board is really fast, goes top to bottom very easily. The board is really easy to turn but does not feel unstable in any way it seemed to handle late takeoffs without a problem.

It certainly surfs like a short board even though it is a HP hybrid and has left me craving for more......will take it for another spin tomorrow in a nice punchy reef break and see how it handles that.

Comment

good stuff fazza....the board will "JACKNIFE" off that wing/flyer....

Comment

2 more surfs on the JacKnife and i am really loving this board. Surfed it Friday on a nice sized reef break with a bit of push in the waves probably unto head half high on the face. I was a little hesitant as i would normally surf my Hellrazor or Bourez at this break but the JacKnife seemed to handle the waves fine but i am still getting used to the board so it wasn't the best test for it. I used the Futures Techflex CM2 fins which made the board feel a little too loose for me on bigger waves which also made me a bit hesitant.

Saturday surfed for 5 hrs on the JacKnife with Futures TP1 Fins at a nice reef break which breaks over a shallow reef sometimes only knee deep with water. Again i was a little hesitant as i would normally surf the Hellrazor as this wave can suck up quite quickly. After a few waves i got into the grove and really enjoyed this board immensely. It can handle a sucky waves without a problem, nice and fast with a bit of weight forward and then lean back a little when you turn and the board snaps nicely around under your feet. The board paddles really well into waves, very stable on the takeoffs, turns in the pocket if you want to or draw your turn out a little.

I think if you were looking for a board that can handle really good or even mushy waves under shoulder to head and half high this is the board. I think it can handle anything between your small wave Sweet Potato/PNator and your bigger wave HP board. If you wanted to replace your Dominator with a better wave board that can handle a wider range of waves then this is the board. I did look at the Activator but decided that it was too close to the same wave range as the Dominator that I had. The Activator to me seems to be more geared to the same waves as the Dominator but gives you the ability to surf more in the pocket of the wave. the JacKnife surfs in the pocket really well, nice and fast down the line if you need it, and can handle some decent waves if you need it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Fazza View Post

I think if you were looking for a board that can handle really good or even mushy waves under shoulder to head and half high this is the board. I think it can handle anything between your small wave Sweet Potato/PNator and your bigger wave HP board. If you wanted to replace your Dominator with a better wave board that can handle a wider range of waves then this is the board. I did look at the Activator but decided that it was too close to the same wave range as the Dominator that I had. The Activator to me seems to be more geared to the same waves as the Dominator but gives you the ability to surf more in the pocket of the wave. the JacKnife surfs in the pocket really well, nice and fast down the line if you need it, and can handle some decent waves if you need it to.
              I was looking at the Activator too. That's the kind of information I was after, thanks Fazza, the Jacknike is firmly on my wishlist now.
              Last edited by Slowman; 08-19-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

2 more surfs on the JacKnife and i am really loving this board. Surfed it Friday on a nice sized reef break with a bit of push in the waves probably unto head half high on the face. I was a little hesitant as i would normally surf my Hellrazor or Bourez at this break but the JacKnife seemed to handle the waves fine but i am still http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...p=12119getting used to the board so it wasn't the best test for it. I used the Futures Techflex CM2 fins which made the board feel a little too loose for me on bigger waves which also made me a bit hesitant.

Saturday surfed for 5 hrs on the JacKnife with Futures TP1 Fins at a nice reef break which breaks over a shallow reef sometimes only knee deep with water. Again i was a little hesitant as i would normally surf the Hellrazor as this wave can suck up quite quickly. After a few waves i got into the grove and really enjoyed this board immensely. It can handle a sucky waves without a problem, nice and fast with a bit of weight forward and then lean back a little when you turn and the board snaps nicely around under your feet. The board paddles really well into waves, very stable on the takeoffs, turns in the pocket if you want to or draw your turn out a little.

compare it to the magic razor

Comment

KDropin

I am still working the board out and getting confident with what it can do but so far i am very impressed with how it performs. I would say fairly comparable to the Razor on the waves i have surfed it on so far but need a few more surfs on. I will try to take both boards with me and go out on the Razor and then JacKnife and see how they compare.

Some Pics of Fridays surf on the JacKnife

Attachment Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

damn we have it so bad where i live!!

Comment

man oh man fazza. that looks so fun!! I kind of think the major difference between the two boards is the length and rail shape. Because of the wing, I feel the jacknife maintains a little less rail curve which, to me, makes the board draw a slightly longer, driver line than the Hellrazor. subtle, though, i agree, and likely more noticeable if did have both at the same time. Most surfers who are in for this genre of board will enjoy either.

Comment

2 more surfs on the JacKnife and i am really loving this board. Surfed it Friday on a nice sized reef break with a bit of push in the waves probably unto head half high on the face. I was a little hesitant as i would normally surf my Hellrazor or Bourez at this break but the JacKnife seemed to handle the waves fine but i am still getting used to the board so it wasn't the best test for it. I used the Futures Techflex CM2 fins which made the board feel a little too loose for me on bigger waves which also made me a bit hesitant.

Hi, and thanks for yours comments. Just 3 questions :
                        - A JK in 6'0, with 29.8 L is not to big for your 68 Kgs ?
                        - You surf your JK as a thruster or a quad ?
                        - Could you post a video of your session with your Jacknife (JK) ?
                        Thanks.

Comment

Guigoon

The waves in SW OZ are pretty powerful compared to other parts of Australia and i find that you need a little bit more volume to get onto them early as most of the power is in the bottom half of the wave. Having said that the JacKnife is a pretty high performance hybrid that is fast down the line, allows you to stay high in the wave and yet still releases through your turns, it is quite refined through the nose, tail and out to the rails and i have no problem turning it in soft or powerful waves.

I have only surfed it as a thruster at the moment and have tried Techflex CM2's and TP1's so far i have preferred the TP1's but will be trying it with Techflex WCT fins this week sometime. I will try it as a quad once i have had a few more surfs as a thruster.

I'll see if i can get the video sorted the only thing is it was shot from a bit of a distance and there was 3 of us in the video and i am not sure who is who.

I have done some comparisons to my 601 Hellrazor and i must say the JacKnife is pretty refined, and pretty close to the Hellrazor. They both look very similar in the nose rocker but the JacKnife has slightly more tail rocker which will help with rail to rail transitions. The rails are very similar and the JacKnife looks very evenly proportioned from nose to tail. The JacKnife definately has slightly more width forward of centre compared to the Hellrazor which I have not noticed that being a problem in any of the waves i have surfed it in, it really doesn't feel like you are surfing on a hybrid when you get it under your feet on a wave.

I will post some comparative shots tomorrow as it is night at the moment and too hard to get any good shots.

Comment

ok, interesting, yours to us informed.

You think therefore that JK is good from knee high to head and a half ?
                            Last edited by guigoon; 08-28-2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

It looks to me like a single flyer Futura. I'm really happy with my Futura and also find it covers much the same conditions as my Dom as Fazza mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X