X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Slowman,

This JK comparison is quite awesome, great job! I have a 6.0 Dom for small days and looking for a more performance board in better waves but still extra wave catching ability, got a 6'6' chilli cayene as my main performance board. I'm stuck between choosing between JK or HF and also between 6'2 or 6'4. I'm 85Kgs, interm/adv surfer, surf a couple of times a week. Hard to choose without a demo.

I'm thinking 6'2 HF or 6'4 JK? Any suggestions? I really like the sound of the JK!

Cheers.

Comment

Hey Speak, I'd say with that background definitely go for 6'2 in either JK or HF...I'm 90kg and have no problem with float and wave catching. I think you'll find the JK has a lower end to its range than the HF and catches waves a tad easier even though it it has a tad less volume. JK can surf as small as knee/thigh high if the waves have some shape while the HF will do thigh/waist high. Both great boards but what I love about the JK is that you usually can't go wrong with it because it covers nearly everything. With my HF there has been the odd occasion where I've had to go back home and get the spit. Only for the weak full stuff do I need the spit these days, particularly if there is a bit of a crowd.

Comment

After stepping back onto my HF I realised the JK wasn't as loose as I thought. The HF can go vertical into the lip and you can over rotate into a cutback or full tail drop, not that I have tail drops wired but sometimes it works for me. Anyway the JK just wasn't like that it would hit the lip release and turn and just come straight back down, it just didn't seem to be as spontaneous, so I started playing with the fins again. I believe I now have the perfect combo, TC Redlines in front and TC Aqualines in the rear. I always loved the redlines in my thrusters with a smaller trailer. This combo seems to make the board go much better vertically and release off the top a bit easier than the R2s because of the tighter pivoting capability and the aqualine rears are small enough to allow a small amount of slide.

So what do I think is the advantage of the JK over the HF now? Probably it's all roundness and slightly broader range (at the lower end). The HF is faster and while it can handle some chop it doesn't like lumps too much and bounces around a bit and gets skatey. The JK doesn't get bounced around in lumpy waves nearly as much and get skatey but doesn't like the chop so much I think because the rails are more refined they can catch a bit slowing me up slightly at times (because you have to release the rail), while the HF seems to just barge through it. I'm not sure which has the higher top end. I don't know if I would try to choose between the JK and HF for particular waves. I think I will just jump between them as the mood strikes, you know, if one starts to feel a bit stale, just jump on the other for a while. They both have things to teach/remind you.

Comment

Hey slowman how would you rate the jk as an all around board say compared to a dom/spit?, can it grovel well? im looking for a fast board with early entry for 2'-4' beachies and points, or is the jk a more hp board for larger conditions, im looking for another one board quiv

suncoast

Comment

I have a Futura which is the genesis of the Jacknife. Just on appearance and dimensions they are almost exactly the same. That'll be the basis of my observation.

I use the Futura as my next step up from the Dom. Once the waves get to a proper 2 feet, say shoulder high, I prefer to use the Futura over the Dom. Below that size I much prefer the Dom. The Dom's planshape does surf vertically better than the Futura but I frankly don't need the extra volume in my Dom once it hits 2 foot. The Futura is definitely faster laterally and more refined. To be honest though I suspect I'd prefer the Unibrow over the Futura.

I haven't surfed the Futura above around 2x overhead. It went fine at that size, although I do feel its width. I've also surfed my Dom up to around 1.5x overhead and even though it is wider I didn't feel the width when surfing - it's the thickness I notice in the Dom.

So I reckon the Futura is a fan bloody tsstic all round board except for the very smallest days (think Sweet Potato territory - I tend to use my Dom when others seem to surf a SP).

For reference I'm 47yoa, intermediate and surf a 6'4" Dom and 6'4" Futura.

Comment

Originally posted by suncoastslop View Post
              Hey slowman how would you rate the jk as an all around board say compared to a dom/spit?, can it grovel well? im looking for a fast board with early entry for 2'-4' beachies and points, or is the jk a more hp board for larger conditions, im looking for another one board quiv

suncoast
              Most of what Buzzy says about the Futura applies to the JK, though I never noticed the width, what I noticed was its refined feeling and its very solid reliable feeling of hold and edge control.

Mine worked well as an all rounder. I could surf 1' on it so long as they had a little bit of shape and some power. It easily handled bigger and steeper waves than the dom/spit and was still a good paddler. For fuller weaker waves the dom/spit were better but I could still get onto them on the JK.
              Last edited by Slowman; 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                Most of what Buzzy says about the Futura applies to the JK, though I never noticed the width, what I noticed was its refined feeling and its very solid reliable feeling of hold and edge control.

Mine worked well as an all rounder. I could surf 1' on it so long as they had a little bit of shape and some power. It easily handled bigger and steeper waves than the dom/spit and was still a good paddler. For fuller weaker waves the dom/spit were better but I could still get onto them on the JK.
                Sounds like you've sold the Jacknife - is this to make way for the Vanguard?

Comment

OK...I just saw your private message!

Comment

After a 3 months stop due to injury, i've choosen a '6'2'' JK for my return...Realy faithful board. Predictable, easy paddle, easy speed (need to be pumped in mush but goes). Covers a wide range of wave size. Rode mine as trifin. Really don't understand why it's such a less spoken board. As it probably would be the best board for lots of people if they give it a try.Cheers

Comment

Yep I am missing mine! I may need to repurchase one! Mine snapped and I replaced it with a 6'5 HZ (with a good deal from Raz) which seems to have a little less versatility, it certainly doesn't have the lower end of the JK. It seems to have plenty of top end though. Anyway I miss the JK and have a trip to PNG coming up next January and I want to take a 2 board quiver. A 6'2 JK and my 6'5 HZ should have me covered for all the waves I want to surf. Could take 3 but 2 is just that bit easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X