• Show
Clear All

• 6'0 v 6'2

Hi,

Seeking some advice on sizes.

The Decision…
    Jacknife 6’0 (29.8) v 6’2 (33.3)

Context…
    I’m 34, circa 80kg. Intermediate.. Surf mainly Sydney beaches. The volume calculator suggests the higher volume however I’m hesitant that it might be a little too much and I don’t want to be left wanting a challenge in 2 months’ time if I buy the bigger board. I bought the 6’3 (37) Activator which is a cracking board but within 10 surfs I was left wanting to downsize. I have a 6’0 Simon Anderson DK (30.7) which I can happily paddle in to smaller waves. Thinking that the Jacknife could be the board to use once it gets over 3ft and just wondering if you think that little bit of extra volume will help get on in semi crowded conditions with out loosing too much performance or if the extra length and float may restrict me. Happy to go through a little bit of pain..

Thanks in advance for any response and help. Cheers TP
    Last edited by TP34_; 07-11-2013, 08:29 PM.

A 6'1" would be perfect! Be that as it may, at 80kg with your preferences the 6'0" should be fine. It would make it more of an effort as a groveller, but be great in mid riff and up waves.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
      A 6'1" would be perfect! Be that as it may, at 80kg with your preferences the 6'0" should be fine. It would make it more of an effort as a groveller, but be great in mid riff and up waves.
      Thanks Buzzy. Should mention that I have a 6'3 Hellrazor. (30.8) So thinking behind the 6'2 was the extra volume may be a good shorter, fatter, lazier good wave board that is slightly more adaptable to the smaller ground swell waves. Conversely the 6'0 thinking was it would push me to surf better (?) and the reduced size would help in punchy hollow stuff?? Agree 6'1 around 32L would have been ideal.

Comment

P.S I'm 5'10. And again thanks for your insight!

Comment

To be honest if it's being combined with a Hellrazor I'd go the 6'2" as you would want to emphasise grovelling more.

Comment

I'm 90kg and have a 6'2 and can ride it in thigh high to double overhead. At 10kg lighter I can't see why you couldn't. If you want a groveller get a spitfire (5'10) or pnator (5'8). I think the JK is too good a board to over volume and try to make it a groveller. It works well in small waves just as it is, so long as they have some shape.

Comment

Thanks Slowman. I'm not really trying to turn it into a groveller rather just trying to figure out if I might have any difficulty catching half decent waves with the 6'0? I know I'll be fine with the 6'2 but I'm worried that its a touch to big and my surfing won't progress with it.. As a side note do you find the volume calculator to be a little too conservative? Thanks for the comments gents.

Comment

TP34, IMHO if you enter anything over 35 in the volume calculator it becomes overly generous. In my experience the JK paddles quite well, not quite as well as my spitfire but not far off it, and the difference only becomes apparent when it is weak and small.

Comment

I don't think a 6'2" would be over volumed. It'd just be toward the higher end of the range. I also think there would be much less differentiation between boards at the shorter length which begs the question of why have both? Sure, there are some differences but I reckon there would be far more similarities than differences.

Comment

I'm 6'1'' tal, 83 Kg, and surf a JK 6'2'', as my one board quiver. But only surfed it 7 times in waist to head hight surf. Paddles great. Goes better in waves with some shape to it. But in weaker surf just pump a bit and it goes anyway. Good and predictable on rail. That wing gives good pivot if you release, as it woul be shorter. Put you weight on rail and you will have a full rail turn. So far so good.
                    Don't know if it work the same for not so tall surfers.
                    Hope that would help

Comment

opportunity knocking! brand new 6'0 never ridden for $550 on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Firewire-...item19df358cdb
                      Last edited by Slowman; 07-14-2013, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Loving my JK. Would like to buy other board for under belly waves?
                        Would like to have opinions.
                        Potatonator?

Comment

PN is great, as well as the Baked Potato and Sweet Potato if you're looking for a board for small, mushy days.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Thanks. I had a Sweet Potato and dindn't really liked it. Because if i pushed it hard it didn't hold. So I thought I could steel have better paddle power but that extra rail line would hold better when pushed on mushy waves.
                            Or am I wrong?

Comment

I find myself definitely altering how I surf a SP and BP versus surfing my standard shortboard. Because of that wide tail, it performs well in small waves, giving you that skateboard feel. As the waves get better, yes you will start to slide out if you push it because the rail lines are not as precise as a high performance shortboard and that wide tail won't be able to dig in to the wave. The PN, if you ride it as a thruster will give you a bit more hold, but if you're truly looking for more hold/ performance in a small wave board, then I suggest looking at the performance hybrid boards such as the UB, CC, or SF.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• H.S.O.
                                H.S.O. commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks for the input.
                                I may buy a second hand 5'8'' SF. Or is it to small for me for a small wave board? I'm 1,85mt and 82 Kgs. My JK is 6'2''. No problem paddling and surfing it.
                                I think the SF shape should compensate the 2Ltrs less.
                                Opinions?

• Josh BL
                                Josh BL commented
                                Editing a comment
                                What is your skill level? A 510 might be better, but you could probably work with the 508 (especially if you can find a good second hand one)
                            Working...
                            X