X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator vs MB

Which would be better as an all round board? For surf not much bigger than 7-8ft max, and to complement a small wave groveller. Looking at the 6'0- what are some of the performance differences?

The Alternator is a little more forgiving as an all rounder, I haven't compared the two side by side but I imagine the rails are a touch softer and more forgiving. The MB is a full high performance board with more rocker.

Comment

Going by your other post you said that you loved the 6'0 Alternator you tried in Costa Rica
      It's pretty hard to jump on a board and love it instantly so I'd book it in if I was you

Comment

I bought an old Alt 6'4" x 19.5" 2.5" and I think it sucked as an all rounder only seemed to go in the pocket for me...only one session mind you but on smaller waves it wasn't working for me. I got a couple of larger better waves and then thing went quite OK. This was in some pretty ordinary onshore conditions but there were a few decent rip bowls that made it worthwhile between 4'-5', so it gave me some an idea of how this board goes. I believe the MB can grovel OK...the Alt didn't seem like it would grovel at all for me.

Comment

I've never surfed an MB but I find the Alternator (the Gen after the one Slowman surfed) to be excellent in around chest high and above surf. To be honest, it is my favourite Firewire, but I do surf it much less than my Dom and Futura - I don't find it surfs waist high waves that great, and you tend to get more waist high days than head high days sadly. But when it's around shoulder high and above and I haven't tucked the wrong board in the car I reckon it's an absolutelky fantastic board.

Comment

get the alternator as an all-rounder...mb as a good to great wave board...depends how far down the slop scale towards your groveler you want to go...the revised alternator has a better "bottom end"... the alternator will probably be an easier transition off the groveler too

Comment

yeah i would have to say that i agree with all the thoughts here. the alternator is a more user friendly board and it actually has incredible versatility. I use it in Southern CA almost always in when it gets up over waist high and is below overhead and a half (600 squash). I also love the 602 round tail as a SoCal, East Coast step-up. If i were surfing steep, hollow reefs consistently, i would, however, consider a Michel as it has more rocker and perhaps a flex fire as a step up for more precision....

Just depends where you are in ability and what the waves are like that you are surfing...

Comment

I have the same kind of question, although I'd throw the HZ into the mix as well. I need a good winter board for when the waves get big, but they are never all that steep where I surf. My El Fuego will handle everything up to head high (plus a bit ifI need it to) , so I'm looking for a high performance board that will deal with shoulder high - double OH waves

Comment

I'd say the MB is going to suit waves with more curve. If the waves are a little flatter the Alternator or Hellrazor are good choices.

Comment

Yeah I was defiantly leaning towards the alternator, just curious about the MB because it's outline looks amazing! As we all know we don't always get perfect sessions so something slight less tuned is fed a better option. The groveller I was also leaning towards is the potatonator so smaller waist high and smaller should be covered! Haha I can see how the "FireWire addiction" can start... So many good boards to choose from never enough cash to spend haha.
                    Thanx for the feedback, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X