X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on the MB

So far so good. I have had it out about 4 times now in waves in the rib cage to a little overhead at Upper trestles, church and Salt Creek. For the most part it seems like this is the bottom end of the size spectrum for the board but even on the smaller waves as long as there is some shape the board will come alive. It also paddles very well for a hpsb, it can catch guttless waves it can't really surf and it gets in last minute and late really easily.

The board goes top to bottom so well it feels amazing. Evey time i crack the lip the board just comes back under my body so easily its like it does the snap itself. I have also done some very nice cutbacks on this board. I have done the kind where you get a full on back side reo snap off the white water with ease.

I'm still getting used to the board a little and i'm getting used to surfing with booties on again at the same time, maybe thats more of the issue. There have been a coulpe times where my front foot felt wrong, maybe a little to narrow of a stance but it could have been me just getting used to the board. I have tried a wider stance a bit and the board handles it well but for the most part I haven't really put much brain power into it and i'm just trying to get waves in on it.

I have been using a set of techflex am2s. This is a big honkin fin for me but i do like big fins. The board inst as fast down the line as my dominator quad or my quadraflex with the fcs R2 quad set in them. The waves I have been able to surf have been very fast down the line, probably better conditions to have one of my quads out, and made it a bit hard to test the board out. So it has got me thinking. On waves that are fast down the line and not super powerfull would I get more speed from a different fin, like a EA blackstick. The am2 has a huge base and feels pretty good but would a smaller more flexy fin whip me down the line a little faster by making the board go through the motions a bit faster? Conventional wisdom tells me that big base equals more down the line speed but could more speed be achived with a different flex patteren on a smaller fin. I know quads are faster for the most part so Im not expecting to achive the same down the line speed on my Bourez. One thing I think to be true about quads vs thrusters is that quads are faster right off the bat, up high on the face and top speed but thruster are faster on the bottom of the wave. For example if you get stuck behind a big ball of white water on the bottom of the wave you do one pump bottom turn thingy on the thruster and you make it around the corner, on a quad you have a better chance of getting around that corner doing a foam climb but its much harder. Any thoughts would be welcome thanks.
    Last edited by saxman1; 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM.

Great post saxman1.

I was eye ballin the MB until the HR came to be. Its interesting that the HR is under the HP section because at first glance it looks to be a perf hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
      Great post saxman1.

I was eye ballin the MB until the HR came to be. Its interesting that the HR is under the HP section because at first glance it looks to be a perf hybrid.
      Thanks aurfalien. I was eyeballin the hr but it was to close to what i already have. The HB was a better choice to make my quiver better. I would love a HR though.

For those of you who are interested I'm 5'10" 175 pounds 35 years old. I'm in good shape. On most days I'm on of the better surfers in the line up but at salt creek I'm above average, lots of qs grinders and ex pros out there. I grew up surfing in Norcal so I have a good amount of solid waves under my belt. My MB is the 6'0" thin.

Comment

Great post
        Was there any reason you chose the 6'0 thin over say the 5'10 thick
        I know Chris has been on both and enjoys a longer rail line
        What about yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Wandi View Post
          Great post
          Was there any reason you chose the 6'0 thin over say the 5'10 thick
          I know Chris has been on both and enjoys a longer rail line
          What about yourself
          honestly I chose it because Chris suggested it. That is about as in depth as I got.

I scored some great waves on it today. I went up and surfed Palos Verdes in South L.A. at a spot called Indicator. This is a great winter wave, it gets very powerfull but very localized. I have been surfing it for about 5 years now with my buddy who grew up in that area. It is a left point reef set up and it holds huge swell. Today it was head high to head and a half+ and juicy, lots of power. To say the board dismantled the waves is an understatement! I got so vertical and did huge hacks all morning long linking turn into turn. As soon as i came off the top I went back into a bottom turn and cracked it again. The board felt fast and held well but I still got some tail drift in my cutbacks. I'm regular foot so I was back side all morning. I took off on one of the bigger set waves and got in under the lip, into a barrel with ease. Didn't make it out but I had some good tube time and the vert drop was great. My buddy was pretty impressed on how I was surfing this board. We have surfed together for years and he said today is about as good as he has ever seen me surf.

I feel like this was an ideal size of wave for this board. It could have gone a little bigger but I was comfy charging the biggest waves that came through today. I had the AM2 techflex in the board. I'm suprised I got on so well with this fin considering how big it is, I do get real low and compress a lot when I surf. I'm so freeking in love with this board. I really want to get some meaty front side waves on it now. So far the best I have had front side is chest to a little overhead Upper Trestles with real racy down the line waves. A lot of pumping to bust one big turn at the end of the wave. Today was all about top to bottom flow and power.

Comment

I was thinking more about the waves I have ridden on this board and how it felt. I think that when i'm in the pocket going top to bottom the am2s feel great but out on the face when I'm pumping the do feel a little tracky. I really want to try the EA Blacksticks and see what kind of speed I can get at the points, I'm sure they will feel fine top to bottom.

Comment

read my MB posts sax... if you like the am2 in techflex then you may find like me that ea blakstix is too flimsy by comparison... especially as the MB likes to be given some boot... i find the jc honeycomb is good in anything (on the 6'2 though) .. jc blakstix is a thicker foil than the ea version so is not so floppy, but still has the v2 foil..i find it better, but really dont need to take the honeycombs out... then again, the spartan LOVES the ea's ..!!

i get drive from tip area.. not so much from base alone... with tip area you are on the gas the whole time.... base area is often reduced (eg jc's) to get you loose in the joose....

Comment

yeah its a good point Core.

I do find the EA Blackstix to be solid in small to medium surf, but the template, area and foil are a little inadequate for me in slightly better/ faster surf. definitely a preference thing, but i am finding more and more that I like flat foils in pumping surf!!

Comment

Originally posted by saxman1 View Post
                  One thing I think to be true about quads vs thrusters is that quads are faster right off the bat, up high on the face and top speed but thruster are faster on the bottom of the wave. For example if you get stuck behind a big ball of white water on the bottom of the wave you do one pump bottom turn thingy on the thruster and you make it around the corner, on a quad you have a better chance of getting around that corner doing a foam climb but its much harder. Any thoughts would be welcome thanks.
                  I think the difference between the ability to do a quick little turn to gain speed and having to climb or pump is more a function of rails. I am able to speed turn off the bottom around foam balls and collapsing sections on my quads. What I have found is that on boards with thicker rails it is not as easy, maybe you've been riding more hybrids as quads that have thicker or softer rails? They are good for forgiveness as they won't catch but with a thinner or harder rail that ability to catch also translates into better bite so that you can set the rail, push hard off it and throw your weight and the board forward and around sections.

I can certainly notice this difference between my spitfire and my JK and by comparison the rails on the JK are quite a bit more refined over the spit. I can still do speed turns on the spit but there are times it needs to be supplemented with some pumping as well to get it or keep it moving - I don't seem to get the same weight throw and forward projection from these turns as I do with my JK. As you can see I ride them both as quads yet they are still quite different in their abilities. Just some thoughts on another side to the equation.
                  Last edited by Slowman; 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I have the MB 6'0" Thick and have been enjoying my AM2s, but have found they don't let me get vertical quickly enough in the smaller stuff. Recently agonized over all available fins and got myself a set of Kinetic Racing Parko Carbo-Tune fins JP-5. They have a larger base than the AM2 and almost as much rake. They are a very similar looking fin in shape and yet the difference in performance is massive. Very lively, go straight to the lip. Nice in a committed carve and can still release when wanted. Absolutely loving them in reef and beach break waves up to head &1/2. Down the line waves I think they are good to head height. AM2s are better for overhead point and reef /good groundswell loving waves.

But thats just me. Hope you find some good new fins for a great board.

Comment

Hi Sarge future or fcs is your board?
                      Mine is fcs and still looking for a alround set with drive and release never look of Kinetic Racing Parko Carbo-Tune fins JP-5. Lot of guys said that board needs bigger fins or fins with larger base to accelerate but afraid this could make board too stiff.

Comment

I got a set of the EA blacksticks and they seem to be doing the trick when the wave is on the smaller side. I will keep the AM2s for the juice and use the Blacksticks for when its less than ideal.

Thanks for the replies. I love this board. It's going to be hard take any other board to the beach! I have had it out on days were I should be on my dominator or quadraflex but this board feels so good that when you lay into a good wave your hooked! I have always copmressed a lot in my surfing and in all sports I play, I have a natural low center of gravity and really strong legs. The MB loves that!
                        Last edited by saxman1; 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

My board is Futures, but the Kinetics offer all their fins in both fcs and futures inserts. This was a factor in shelling out the cash on these fins. Unlike the Simon and AM fins, you get exactly the same fin template when switching between the fcs and futures. I would say that the JP-5s are my all round set for this board. They certainly offer a much 'looser' feel and are way more lively than my AM2 Techflex. The only downside to them has been some tracking on more powerful waves due to the massive base dimension.

Comment

Working...
                          X