Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have my eye on a MB 6'0

Hey,

I broke my 6'1 custom Bill Johnson on the the Hurricane Sandy swell here in Puerto Rico a couple of weeks ago. So, i'm in kind of a hurry to buy a new shortboard thats why I dont place a custom order anywhere. I been visiting surfshops all over the island with no luck of finding a 5',10 - 6'1 with a 2.5 thickness.

But, i found a MB Firewire 6'0 x 18 3/4 x 2 9/16 and I love howit feels under my arm. I have never ridden a firewire, so really dont klnow what to expect. My main concern with the board is floatation. Why?, because I've been used to riding 2.5 thick boards.

My weight is 182 lbs/ pounds right now fluctuating beteween 180-185 constantly and i consider my self a advanced experinced surfer.

So my question is, do you think that 2 9/16 will float me well?. I have friends that their weiight is slightly higher than mine and use regular PU boards with a 2 3/8 thickness. But they tell me that the floatation depends oo if its choppy surf vs glassy surf (paddleling wise).

I really havent buy it because it is a very expensive surfboard and i want to be sure about the floatation issue vs lowering the thickness Ive been used to.

should i consider this board?

any comment will help

thanks!!, and excuse my english...

If anything it would float you too well
    You needn't have any doubts

Comment

does firewires tend to float a bit more than regular PU boards?

Comment

Originally posted by Mookie Blaylock View Post
        does firewires tend to float a bit more than regular PU boards?
        I think the float about the same. They just surf way better than pu boards and they are much stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by saxman1 View Post
          I think the float about the same. They just surf way better than pu boards and they are much stronger.
          Yeah mookie,

I own a 6'0 MB and it floats the same or better than my pu 2.5thick boards dont worry about the flotation you will be fine. I am also in PR and tried it in Machucas overhead and it went amazing!!! Graet hp Board!!

Comment

Hey Mookie,
            Don't sweat the float. Its verrrrrrrrry close. The rapidfire tech might float a touch more, but I persoanlly ride the same volume in both techs and made no change when stepping on to Firewire tech from PU.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X