Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any spitfire advice, size, wave height ect

Hey,

I,m hooked on Fw boards after getting a sw potatoe 5'2 this summer so fast and fun.

Now I,m looking for an Fw I can ride on bigger days, any advice is greatly appreciated.

I live in Santa Cruz ca we get some powerful surf in the winter but a lot of the waves are slanted with flat spots, not a lot of tight transitions, so I,m thinking the mb might have too much rocker.

I had a chance to talk to Timmy Reyes and chuy reyna this weekend, they both love the spitfire Timmy rides 5'4 and 5'6 chuy 5'8. Timmy claims fasted board ever and first pick on a day to day surf.

I,m 5'9 164 lbs, 30 yrs surf exp 43 years old, want a fast short board I,m thinking 5'6 to 5'8 spitfire or perhaps 5'11 chubby cheddar.

Advice please!

Thanks!

Who are we to argue against Chuy Reyna and Timmy Reyes?

Personally though I reckon the "next step up" in the FireWire line - the Hellfires and Unibrows - would offer more versatility than a Spitfire. The Chubby Chrdda seems to getting good feedback for overhead waves too. The Spitfire will surf overhead waves ok but it's forte is the waist to head high range. I'd be looking in the more performance end if the performance hybrid range, personally.

Comment

i think w 30 yrs surf exp, u'll make what ever board u decide on work. i think u just need to ask urself how much u wanna paddle and what size wave ur looking to ride. i got a SF and love it. its huge at 6'6, but its crowd control and very forgiving at the same time. it's always nice to b standing on the wave while everyone else is still paddling. i only ride it at 4'-6', but i can catch anything coming thru.

Comment

I know SC pretty well, been there for work in summer and winter a few times now. The waves aren't all that hollow or steep in my experience. First summer I was there it seemed to flat to miniscule for 6 weeks, though that was weekends could have missed it during the week. I would ride the my mountain bike from Cowell's up to a couple of beaches past 4 mile just looking.

Even in winter when Steamers had double overhead waves they weren't very hollow though I guess on the right day and a bit of sand in the right spots. I have seen a couple of coves north of Steamers barrel (opposite Fair Ave I think). A spitfire could be good for a lot of the time but I know I would still want something like the Hellrazor for better days. And I'm sure there are a few good options up and down the coast.

Since you already have a Sweet Potato for the low end, as Buzzy suggests, I'd get something like the JK, HR or even a HF, these boards will surf down to waist high easily, which gets you into the SP range of waves. The Unibrow looks good too but it might not give you the top end of say the JK and HR.
        Last edited by Slowman; 02-13-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Mcruz, i'm exactly the same weight/height (nearly age) and only ride the 5'6 spitfire. 90% of the time where i surf it's waist-headhigh and whether at my own break or somewhere else with 50 guys out, i know i'm going to catch waves and not look like a goof with this at hand.

The spits will go in bigger stuff too but that's a bit like playing a round of golf with only a 9 iron, everything has its limits, a simple fin change though can keep you going, i think Timmy Reyes changes to tri when there's a bit more juice, you don't really need all that speed a quad offers in bigger stuff. If you're lean build like me then you'll find the 5'8 too much, if you were 6ft '1" or something then maybe a better suit.

Where i'm struggling is to find the perfect step up that doesn't feel too long or won't be usable on smaller sucky days... bearing in mind i only like small boards now i think the only option here is a custom order, something like a 5'8/5'9 alternator, for the moment i have a 5'7 PU Sub Scorcher, little bit more curve and less rail so that will do the same as the Spit but maybe a bit more when its small and racy. There's another option for you, 5'8 lost sub in FW tech. Think you'll enjoy a spitfire more though!

Good hunting amigo!

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it.

It does make sense to consider HR Chubby and hellfire, by the way any feedback on these boards?

I have heard the chubby is great for big airs, haven't heard anything on the hellfire, I have heard some good news on the HR, would like to hear more though before pulling the trigger on that next purchase.

Thanks

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            Mcruz, i'm exactly the same weight/height (nearly age) and only ride the 5'6 spitfire. 90% of the time where i surf it's waist-headhigh and whether at my own break or somewhere else with 50 guys out, i know i'm going to catch waves and not look like a goof with this at hand.

The spits will go in bigger stuff too but that's a bit like playing a round of golf with only a 9 iron, everything has its limits, a simple fin change though can keep you going, i think Timmy Reyes changes to tri when there's a bit more juice, you don't really need all that speed a quad offers in bigger stuff. If you're lean build like me then you'll find the 5'8 too much, if you were 6ft '1" or something then maybe a better suit.

Where i'm struggling is to find the perfect step up that doesn't feel too long or won't be usable on smaller sucky days... bearing in mind i only like small boards now i think the only option here is a custom order, something like a 5'8/5'9 alternator, for the moment i have a 5'7 PU Sub Scorcher, little bit more curve and less rail so that will do the same as the Spit but maybe a bit more when its small and racy. There's another option for you, 5'8 lost sub in FW tech. Think you'll enjoy a spitfire more though!

Good hunting amigo!

Comment

Working...
            X