X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Bourez - 5'11x18.75 vs 6'0x18.75x2.31

So, rode the 5'10 thick and it has a lot of meat in it. Paddles pretty good as expected but too much volume in the rails for my little legs.

On paper the 6'0 thin is 0.5l more volume, so although more refined, at 2&3/8 is thicker than anything I've ridden for this size wave and makes me think it'll be too much volume for what I want.
    I'm 68kg 172cm.
    Will be step up for ~4-5ft (head and a half), might get the odd head high 3ft stuff. After solid 5ft will be on a 6'8 thin flexfire gun.
    Up to just over HH will use 5'9 FST Stealth.

So thinking about going custom with either a 5'11 or a 6'0.
    For the 5'11 I think I'd like to bump the width up a bit to 18.75. Matches the Stealth and have no problem with this width over the 5'10's 18.5. CBD volume 26.8l.
    Or if went 6'0, I think I'd like to drop the thickness down to 2.31 (2 5/16) down from 2 3/8's. CBD volume 27.2l.

Have a 6'2 round tail flexfire, but feel the Bourez might just have that extra width and thickness in places to surf shorter. I creased my PU Lost Rockup ~6 months use.
    Guts telling me 6'0...

Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

I think 511. Even the 2.38" holds the thickness in the rails.

Comment

Thanks!
      Over the 60 thinned out to 2.31" or even 2.25 ? Or defeating purpose of it?

Comment

I just think that with the fuller outline of the MB it pays to keep the length close to your height. Other opinions may differ, but if you can nail your optimum volume and keep it close to your height I think you'll be on to a winner.

Comment

Thanks man, will get order in.

Comment

stoked guys.

thanks for the advice Prj!

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
              Thanks man, will get order in.
              Did you end up getting a custom 5'11 MB If so how did it go

Comment

Sorry I didn't, went with 5'11 JS Monsta because it was in the racks. It's 25.7l and turned out a great volume and board for HH to almost DOH. Thought I needed more volume but turns out not, so would go 510 thin MB if going down that path at a later date. Nothing like a more traditional shape after bunch of hybrids.
                Last edited by suberimakuri; 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking if I was to order a 5'11 custom MB that a 18.75 width would be good but the thickness would be harder to decide You just wouldn't want the board to come back with rails that are too chunky but you would still want to maintain some volume It would be a toss up between the 2 3/8 and the 2 7/16 By the way the 6'0 MB thin is an amazing board

Comment

Originally posted by Wandi View Post
                    I'm thinking if I was to order a 5'11 custom MB that a 18.75 width would be good but the thickness would be harder to decide You just wouldn't want the board to come back with rails that are too chunky but you would still want to maintain some volume It would be a toss up between the 2 3/8 and the 2 7/16 By the way the 6'0 MB thin is an amazing board
                    Think the same as 5.11 would be closer to my height but had the same dilemma with thickness 18.75 and 2/38 is less than 28.5 litres in CBD if i remember right and 18.75 - 2 7/16 i dont know if rails thin out enough..

Comment

Do you know if the CBD system has anyone to answer a few basic questions before you take the plunge and throw an order in It's a lot of money to get wrong Nev on speed dial would be good

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Maybe Chris can forward the PDF to Nev for feedback? Dave showed Nev mine before I ordered.
                        What sort of questions do you have? The limits on the CBD adjustment are going to stop you from doing anything disastrous.

Sorry about the late reply. I just saw this I'm curious about what effects playing around with the nose and tail dimension would have on performance with this model Also a bit worried if I bumped up the volume from 2 3/8 to 2 7/16 that the rails would be too chunky I was thinking about biting the bullet and ordering a 5'11, 18 3/4 by 2 7/16 As you have previously said a great board can be made better

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Widening the nose and tail would give you a straighter outline through that middle section of the board. That's going to make it more drivey on rail, but as a result you've removed some curve which will lengthen the turning radius a little.
                        Bare in mind the changes are subtle so they aren't going to make or break the board, more of a fine tuning.
                        My advice, if you're riding the board longer than your height, either keep the nose and tail as they are, or even pull the nose in slightly to free it up when coming off the bottom. If you're riding it shorter you can straighten the rail line up by widening those points and it will make it surf like a slightly longer board so you can still draw out your turns without going long, the rocker is still going to keep it free on the face.
                        Think of it as the same principles as Tomo's designs, but obviously his are pretty much taken to the extreme.

As for the thickness, I've seen the stock 6'0 x 2.38" and thought the rails were pretty full. Overall it felt like much more board than my CBD Taj which is basically the same dimensions despite the MB having slightly less volume. Not too sure how that was possible.

If you were to increase the wide points on the nose and tail. What increments would you suggest. I was thinking of increasing both by 0.25

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Depending on your foot size etc but i wouldn't make the tail any wider than 14.81" which is adding 0.12". That said, another .012" is nothing so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I think Nev suggested I keep mine closer to 14.5" but I'm happy with how it came out at 14.75".
                        As far as nose width, I don't mind a wider nose and feel like as close to 12" as I can get is good, especially when you're going shorter.
                        So yeah, going 0.25" on both would be good, I certainly wouldn't go any wider on the tail though, you might end up with too much area there.

I have read somewhere that Slater and Merrick believe foot size to tail width is extremely important. Is there any specific ratios that the peasants should be aware of or am I over thinking the process

Comment

How many inches of rocker does a stock dim 66" MB (thin) have? Nose & Tail

Comment

Working...
                        X