Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'10 Thicker vs Thinner. Which one should I take?

Hi there,

I just read a lot about the Hellrazor and the Michel Bourez. At first I was quite focused on the HZ 5'11 but as I have a Quadraflex 6'2 the MB might be the better extension to my current boards, as long as I got it right from what I read.

The Quadraflex is my alround board and I quite love it but on bigger and bumpy waves I have the feeling of loosing control, probably because of too much volume. I am 180cm tall and weigh 70 kgs. I tought that the 5'10 MB could be the right pick but I am not sure if I should take the thinner one. In general I plan to upgrade my board range as follow:

Michel Bourrez 5'10 Thin Version
    Quadrafive 6'0 or would you go for a Hellrazor (6'1//5'11) in this case?
    Baked Potato 5'1 or 5'3 for small 1-2ft days to replace a minimalibu, never had such a board type so I have no idea if I might need more volume than on a short board

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Is there a location to test ride these boards in France (Area Hossegor/Biarritz?)

Thanks, Lens
    Last edited by LensSW; 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM.

The 5'10" thick was Michel's original board. He has an extra 6 kgs on your weight and I suspect - no disrespect intended - about 50kgs extra of wave destroying power in his legs. I would be going the 5'10" thin if I were you.
    I love my 6'0" MB thick. A very smooth, responsive and powerful board. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

I wouldn't disagree with that. In the Q5 I reckon 5'10" would probably be your length.

Comment

Hi thank you for confirming that the thinner MB would be the better choice. I will use the MB for good to perfect waves here in France.

Concerning the Q5 or the HZ I thought picking a slightly bigger one +10% of volume to be ok for the winter sessions in a 5/4mm and not so good waves. It should be my allround board I would take it for travelling around the globe and it should allow me to surf in mostly any 3-6ft conditions. What would be your pick knowing I would have the MB for good waves? Or would you choose a Hellfire? My girlfriend has the 6'0 but I did not like the amount of volume at the back foot when I surfed it once. Might test that board once more.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hi LensSW i have MB 6.0 at 80+ kgs.A true HPSBwith more volume and less length but you must push hard {look Michel power surfing} to make it work properly so 5.10 thin {or 6.0 thin}could be enough at 70 kgs.

Never try BP but i love my SP. You must paddle harder than a mini malibu {probably shorter length is responsible} but is a revolution in small waves with so much fun speed and manuebrabilite.Probably you need few more litres to grovell so 5.3 at 32.5 litres would be fine..

Good luck.

Comment

Hi LensSW i have MB 6.0 at 80+ kgs.A true HPSBwith more volume and less length but you must push hard {look Michel power surfing} to make it work properly so 5.10 thin {or 6.0 thin}could be enough at 70 kgs.

Never try BP but i love my SP. You must paddle harder than a mini malibu {probably shorter length is responsible} but is a revolution in small waves with so much fun speed and manuebrabilite.Probably you need few more litres to grovell so 5.3 at 32.5 litres would be fine..

Good luck.

Comment

Hi Custom thanks for the advice!

Comment

I'm 68kg and when tested 510 thick it was too much. Have a JS now but probably would have taken a 510 thin if could feel it up before ordering.

Comment

Working...
                X