X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's been riding a 5'10' thin?

Hi guys i'm interested in getting some feedback from people who have been riding the 5'10' thin 25.8litre Bourez, Your height, weight, other boards in your quiver etc? I have been riding a 25 litre Bourez that was slightly tweaked as it was one of Michels personal boards. The board goes pretty well but I keep cracking the glass on the rails.... I suspect this might be a 'team' glassed board as it is very light? I have cracked it 3 times in 3 surfs.
    Im 5'11 and 66kgs without a wetsuit and my normal HPSB is 6'0, 18 3/8, 2/14. I have heard that you really need to push hard to get the board to work, but then it is only 0.8 litres heavier than my current Bourez and I like that.

yeah i think the team boards have one less layer of glass on the rails and no deck patches to make them super light. something like that anyway. The stock 5'10 should go good for you.

Comment

Sounds like a good board for vertical in the pocket surfing, would that extra volume in the rails help keep speed and prevent bogging during cutbacks you think?

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I think it would help. Have you checked one out in the flesh?

Yeah I did see one a couple of months ago. Compared with my 25 litre Bourez the standard Bourez carried more foam in the rails and felt a bit more chunky.... That might not be such a bad thing as my board is very thin in the nose and looks a bit fragile..
      I went with the 25 litre board because I had a 5'7Chubby Chedda at 25.5 litres to keep a bit more volume in the Chedda. I'm going to swap my Chedda for a 5'8 @ 26.8 litres to get a bit more volume and better low end. Ideally I would get a custom Bourez but only 2 1/4 thick compared to 2 5/16 thick which would drop the board to 25.3 litres.
      I'm not sure if its worth waiting around for 12 weeks for 0.5 litre difference when I wouldn't be changing anything but thickness? Also im hoping that a 1litre difference between a 5'10 Bourez at 25.8 and a 5'8 Chedda at 26.8 would be a good step down volume wise?

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        i think the wait is well worth it if it's going to change a board from good to perfect. My CBD is magic.
        I tend not to go for too much more volume in a step down shortboard as I find the design characteristics aid it in small waves without extra volume. If it's your bottom end board though, extra volume will certainly help.

Ideally I would have got say a 5'9 stealth @ 26 litres plus another board about 27 litres for waist and under waves. Unfortunately I tend to fall in between sizes on all the Firewire boards that are sized in 2 inch increments, so I am very limited in what I can get. I have really got a taste for the firewires and am trying to avoid going back to glass boards.
      How much more volume do you have in your full on groveler compared to your performance board?

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        My full groveller is a sweet potato. i think it's got about 31 litres, my HPSB is 28l. The potato feels good in more open waves but does feel bulky when it's small and punchy and you need to make quick adjustments.
        My small wave shortboards like the Sub Scorcher and even the Mini Driver have been in the mid 27l range but have performed better than my HPSB in small waves because of the lower rocker and wider outlines without requiring extra volume.
        If I was getting a CC I'd probably look for it to be around 1l more than my HPSB.

yeah i like that thinking Phill

Comment

I have the 5'10 thin model and love it. Turns on a dime and maneuvers I previously thought were difficult just became easy & made me realize that the board matters a lot when doing things such as tailslides.

I previously have been riding my shortboards a tad oversized / hybrid (ride an activator as well), and compared to those kind of boards, you do have to work more to keep it going especially on smaller or less powerful surf. Though on those days I bring out the activator. Right tool for the right job, the MB will fly on the right waves though.

Comment

Thanks h2o, What is your height and weight?
          Im pretty close to grabbing the 5'10 thin model at 25.8 litres. All the other boards I have been looking at Lost/Chilli etc in the 5'10-5'11 range are mostly between 25.5 and 25.8 anyway. In my personal experience I have found that compared with a PU board of the same volume, a firewire tends to have slightly smaller dimensions and feels a bit more manoeuvrable.................. could also be the models I have been riding I guess?

Comment

• _h2o_
            _h2o_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey sorry haven't been near my comp lately. I'm 5'8 and around 73kg (160ish lbs)
        Working...
        X