X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michel Bourez at US Open in HB

I watched quite a bit of the US Open last week and Michel Bourez was killing it. I'm wondering if he rides his normal Spartan dimensions at places like HB where the waves can be a little softer and smaller than other tour locations. I've been eying a 6'0" thick Bourez model (I'm 6'0", 195 lbs) and I'm curious how versatile it will be compared to my 6'1" hellrazor which I can ride in just about anything. I'm also curious if the construction method for the FST boards that the pros ride is the exact same as regular production boards. I know most pros that ride PU boards get their glass jobs super light so that the boards weigh around 5 lbs, whereas the FST boards I've weighed are around 6 lbs.

I'd also like to know about the boards that Felipe Toledo is riding. I thought he was using the hellrazor, but I noticed he was on some sort of round tail model recently. It would be great if Firewire would occasionally post the dims of the boards their pro riders use at comps as a reference point for the rest of us.
    Last edited by Venice_Surfer; 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM.

I think Chris mentioned before that pro's often don't have the extra glass strips over the rails or deck patches that production boards have. Just single 4oz E glass too and bottom. I know in Bali Felipe was on a Mini Driver. Probably a Unibrow or something based off that at the US open. Good question regarding MB's equipment. I'd imagine it was his standard board but I'd be very interested if he was riding a shorter, wider version.

Comment

Thanks for the response Phill. I figured the pro FST boards were probably a little lighter considering how high those guys can launch (especially Felipe). I hadn't really seen Michel's air game until he took Slater out at the US Open. Pretty impressive.

Comment

There was a Firewire instagram post with his new round tail Hellrazor just prior to the USOpen. I have attachd it below. (I hope)
        I really hope this is the direction the update to the Hellrazor takes.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah yeah Sarge. That's Felipe's board. Well remembered.
          It looks pretty badass.
          It would be cool if a lot of models had custom tail options that were available special order only.

• Venice_Surfer
          Venice_Surfer commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, that board looks amazing. I actually really dig the square tail on my hellrazor as it seems to release nicely when I jam on the tail. However I'd love to try a round tail version as well. I bet it would work great with a quad fin set-up.

Do you know what the dims on the board are?

There were no dims mentioned and I can't see any written on the board - the photo is fairly large on the computer so would have been able to see if it was there.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing about MB. His stock board has a lot of rocker and a very aggressive concave. IMO- his board is built mostly for pocket surfing. I would think that most pros would be looking to go flatter and a little wider for the slopey, sometimes gutless, HB surf. Maybe even a little thicker as well. If MB were proactive enough he could sit down with the shaper (Nev?) on the CBD and build out some custom boards for each event- trying to anticipate the conditions. I recall seeing MB in an interview saying he keeps it really simple, only brings a couple of boards to every event with only differences usually being in height. Of course... not real fears about FW boards snapping in the middle of the heat! (-:

Also noticed... Kolohe looked really good on his board. He was really generating a ton of speed to get in his air reverses. I was wondering if he was on a variation of the original sub-scorcher. Also, there was a younger kid riding a Stamps model. He looked dialed in as well and made it deep in the contest. Helps to have some local knowledge I guess...

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Julian, Kolohe and Alejo were all right the V2Shortboard. Not sure what the outline is, maybe something like the Beach Buggy but it's dropped onto the V2Rocket's rocker. Sounds like a fun board.

I think guys like Michel, Taj etc. like to get super familiar with one design and knoq exactly how it's going to respond in any situation so they always feel confident surfing it in a heat. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Nev try a few different things in each batch of boards but I'd be that most of them would be copies of old faithful.
        Working...
        X