Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Michel Bourez model should I choose?

Hi everybody, I would really appreciate your help: Which type of board do you guys think will fit me? I am 6'2", and wheigh about 170/175 pounds. Currently I am riding the 6'2", 18 1/2, 2 3/8 Taj. Do you think the 6'0" thick/thin, or the 6'2" thin would fit? I am not sure about riding a board shorter than my height... Thanks a lot for every reply and greetings from Bali, Matt

If I were you I'd go through the CBD and get a 6'2 x 18.75" x 2.38". I think the 6'0 thin could be too short and the 6'2 thin too much volume for Bali.

Comment

Hi Phill Thanks a lot for your reply! The board would not be only for Bali, it would be my every day shortboard...

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh ok, I assume you were lucky enough to be living in Bali.
        If it helps, I am 6'0" x 170lbs and ride a CBD Taj model based off the Michel Dimensions. If I were to buy a MB model it would be the thin 6'0". I think you'd find the 6'2" thin way too much board, I know I would. But if you don't want to ride the board shorter than your height (which is probably a good call) then I think a CBD in the 6'2" x 18"3/4" x 2"3/8 range is the way to go.
        Another option could be the 6' 2" x 18 3/4" x 2 1/2" Flexfire, but I don't know how you feel about a 2.5" thick board. The volume looks good at 28.5l though.
        Last edited by Phill; 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM.

The nice thing about Firewires is that the materials and volume distribution in the construction of their boards allows the rider to ride a board shorter than he/she may be used to on a PU board. I agree with Phill's advice, but trust your volume and the height of the board will be perfect once you get going on it.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Originally posted by matt_r View Post
        Hi everybody, I would really appreciate your help: Which type of board do you guys think will fit me? I am 6'2", and wheigh about 170/175 pounds. Currently I am riding the 6'2", 18 1/2, 2 3/8 Taj. Do you think the 6'0" thick/thin, or the 6'2" thin would fit? I am not sure about riding a board shorter than my height... Thanks a lot for every reply and greetings from Bali, Matt
        The MB is a cool board. I love the concave. I saw him surf up close at the US Open- he was killing it!

If you don't mind the wait the and feel the need to geek out over measurements then the CBD might be a good choice. Start with the length you want then modify nose width, tail width, center width, and thickness based on conditions you ride and your build., For example I've been considering both the MB and the Alternator. I have big feet and surf alot of mushy days thus I am always looking to go a little wider and thicker off the standard template.

Comment

the 6'2 mb will be way too much...it is for me at 90kg.... that 18x3/4 flexy is one of the best all round shortboards... its super refined, so it doesn't seem 2 1/2 thick... very foiled out and tapered rails.... where-as the slightly thinner MB at 2x 7/16 and fuller outline feels and surfs chunkier than a 2 1/2 board...whats wrong with your taj though, as any of these will have a lot of overlap...??.. you could also look at the profilev1 in 6'2... although not quite as refined as the flexy... the MB you DEFINITELY will need to ride shorter... or you could do what i've been doing recently and chuck 'em all in the corner of the room and ride a tiny vanguard in EVERYTHING...!!! ... EMBRACE THE CHANGE...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all your help! I really appreciate it. I am just concerned riding a 6'0" because of my height. I thought having long legs means having a wider stance, which could be a problem on a short board... So do you think the 6'0" MB thick would be fine? The flexy looks good as well. Does the PRO FILE 1.0 have more or less rocker than the MB and the flexy? Unfortunately I have to replace my Taj, I broke it and it does not feel the same now. It was a great board though! Have a nice day, Matt

Comment

there may still be some taj's floating around...... failing that, the profilev1 is your closest match....slightly up in volume though...unless you have one of the very early thicker 6'2 taj's....the MB is fairly rockered but is beefy and full in outline so must be ridden shorter and with strength... it's not twitchy like your taj...you should be on the thin 6'0 mb as it matches better with your taj..the flexy 6'2 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/2 has a slightly lower tail rocker, but a pulled in outline to keep it nicely connected to the wave face..still lots of rocker though and a more sensitive rail... having ridden both, i can say the flexy will perform with full performance everyday (unless its really tiny), where the taj falters a bit in smaller junkier stuff...i was riding the flexy at over 90kg and Nev at 70kg... both used it as a one board quiver... until the hellfires and vanguards etc corrupted us..!!...

if you want to try going shorter, then unless you have a stinkbug stance, just do it... i was on 6'2-6'3's for decades and Nev talked me into a 510 hellfire...i NEVA looked back... now i'm on a 5'6 vanguard everyday... i've shrunk with old age, but i'm still around 6ft with long legs..(theres a dodgy pic of my lovely legs on this forum somewhere..!!)...

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                I dunno about going shorter on the MB. Shorter than standard maybe, but a 6'2 guy would be on a 6'4 in those days.
                At 6'0 I wouldn't want to ride the 5'10 in good waves for instance.

That's exactly what I thought as well...but I have to admit, I never tried a shorter board neither. Would you really recommend a longer board for a guy at 6'2 and 170 pounds?

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                The old sizing always used to be 2" above your height for a HPSB. Now a lot of guys are riding around their height which I personally like. Guys go shorter for smaller conditions etc. but I don't think there's too many people riding a standard HP shape shorter than their height in overhead conditions.
                The 6'0" could well be great for you, but personally I think a CBD 6'2 in the 6'0"s width and thickness would be perfect. That's why the option is their after all

Are you able to demo a 6'0?

my train of thought was if a taj 602 is right for matt, then the same length in mb wont be right.... if the taj was too short, then maybe... but i'd stay at 602 and replace with another taj (if available), profile or flexy....

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair point. I came off the 6'2 Taj and onto a 6'0 in close to MB dims.

Hi guys, thanks a lot again for all your advice! I am really gratefull for that. Since I unfortunately can't wait for 10-12 weeks (there will be another trip:-)), I will try to get another Taj, Flexy or Profile. I guess the Flexy would be the most versatile one, right? It's funny that the Profile has more volume than the Flexy, although it's narrower and thinner...

Comment

Just to inform you: The mailadress for the dealer in Indonesia ([email protected]) does not work anymore.

Comment

that flexy will ride anything..!!.. its volume is a touch lower because its foiled out in the nose and tail and has slightly more refined rails....all the foam is under your chest when paddling, then nothing under your feet when shredding...!.. best fin for me in it is the futures jc honeycomb..(tried just about every combo in it) .. .i ride it in rapidfire for that positive spring and lively feel... the profile is closer in rocker to the taj... you'll love it in the same waves as your taj... you'll love the flexy in the same waves and also in junkier stuff.. try and replace your taj first though... i found the taj best with fcs honeycomb 5's and 7's... neutral template just like taj's glass-on soar fins...they are now available in twin tabs with the flange for base stability from greg trotter (the designer of soar fins).. Phill rides them in his CBD...

Comment

You almost make me get the Flexy anyway:-)! Sounds like a really, really good board...

Comment

Thanks for the information matt_r. We will update that.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                      X