Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable For An Intermediate Surfer?

Hey Guys,

For the past year or so I have been using a 5'4" Potatonator, I absolutely love the board and it has allowed me to grow my skill level immensely. However for the past couple of months I have noticed that as I'm trying to get more aggressive in my surfing I'm constantly burying the nose of the board (courtesy of the short length and little rocker). I am finding this incredibly frustrating as I feel it is holding back my progression.

So I'm on the lookout for something a bit longer with more rocker, I was hoping it to be around the 5'10" mark. My everyday waves are between waist to slightly overhead, of varying conditions but average to good for the most part. I have been looking at the Michel Bourez, Alternator, HellFire and HellRazor. What one I should get completely confuses me, the dimensions and shape of the MB certainly draw me in but I'm worried that the board may be a bit much for someone with my skill level to control. I have read through numerous reviews on each one, and Chris's Comparison between them all and although it was very helpful it still left me more confused. So basically I want a performance board that's not going to make me feel like a fish out of water.

I will still be using the PN for the days that its fat and cruisey but just want something I can hit the lip on when its a bit steeper. Any light you can shed on my dilemma would be great.

Cheers.

Alternator or Jacknife I reckon.

Comment

Thanks Phill, I hadn't really looked at the jacknife. I will look into it tonight, after I posted my query last night I started looking into the Unibrow.

Comment

yeah look at the alt as a good intro into "normal" performance boards.. easy to master and still does everything the other hi-performance boards do... the MB is a similar ride with a more advanced rocker..( that means until your shredding you may have trouble finding the accelerator in all conditions..).. i dont know your stats, but like any board, dont go too big.. the slight increase in paddling will be pointless compared to how much your held back when up and riding...this is more so in these thicker railed and fuller outlined boards.. keep em lean and your paddling ability will catch up very quickly.. the alternator is a classic solid all round performance board...

Comment

I recommend the Unibrow. It's a great step up from the Potatonator. I have the 5'4 Potatonator and a 5'8 Unibrow. The compliment each other well.

Comment

I have a PN 5'8'' and a 6'2'' Jacknife. Very good for rail surfing and vertical attack in better waves. Easy transition, but with performance rocker and rails

Comment

Cheers guys. I was riding a 6'0" before I got the PN and love the feeling of a short board but feel that the 5'10" would be a good allround size for me to get. I'm about 5'11" and weigh 70kg's.

Comment

I went into my local board shop today to have a chat the the blokes there. They all suggested that the difference between the PN and the Alternator or and of the other 'performance' boards would be too big. They suggested getting a Hellfire instead, as this will give me the extra rocker and length but will still have a bit of width so I don't feel like I'm going from a SUP to a toothpick. Thoughts? I am very concerned about biting off more than i can chew and feeling like a rookie again. Im taking their trial HF out for a few days this week so will see how it feels. Cheers,

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you want a board that feels similar to the PN but is tweaked for better conditions then the HF will fit the bill nicely.
                  If you want to transition to more traditional, performance shapes then I don't think you can beat the Alternator.
                  You'd want the HF 2" shorter than the Alt. HF prob 4" longer than PN.
                  If you want a more forgiving ride the HF510 and AT600 would both work well IMO.

Look like your getting lots of fingers pointed to the Hellfire. My 2 cents, just balance things out, is that I really don't like that board. I'm a big fan of the Dom, Spit, PN, etc... so I really thought that the HF would work well for me, but it didn't click at all. Not in the slightest. If you look at what people are gravitating to right now, it's not the HF, it's more VG, Uni, Chubby, etc... Not telling you what to do of course, just adding more info to help you make a decision.

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah good point the Chubby Chedda could work well.

Cheers guys. Csarqui, I know exactly what you are saying. I had a look at the Chubby yesterday while I was there but it still felt a bit fat for what i initially wanted. The more I talk to people and look at other boards the more I realise I don't know what I want. Haha. I have got a HF in 5'10" as a demo board over the weekend so I will see how that goes. Cheers.

Comment

that 510 hellfire is as good or BETTER than a full hi performance board.. and easy to ride... i rode mine for 18 months everyday from 1 foot to huge slabs...Nev rode his 510 in all conditions too.. i only didnt mention it as you wanted a "normal" board, and to progress it would be good for you to get your act together on a hp board...the alt being the board for that... but... the 510 version of the hf is a MAGIC board..and you really can ride it in everything and forget about having to transition between boards... if futures then the only fin to use is the simon's (sa3,sa4,sa5).. thrusters preferably .. if fcs then hold up he LARGE fcs simons or others against the futures simons to get the closest match... that fin template in the 510 hf is the secret ingredient... ive tried almost all suitable futures templates in it... and i come back to Nevs own choice..the simons... the only reason i put my hf away is to play on the vanguard... now.... theres another topic... you should learn on "traditional equipment first... eg hf, alt etc... but i have little use for any board anymore since riding the 506 vanguard............

Comment

It's awesome that you got yourself a demo. That way you get to decide for yourself. We're all so different in preferences and style of surfing.

Comment

Well I took the board out yesterday arvo in sucky 1ft (onto a sand bank) and then took it out this morning in nice 2-3 ft'ers. I think I'm in love!! It is so nice to ride and exactly what I was after. The only thing is the demo board is 5'10" but feel I would be better off with a 5'8". What do you guys think? Cheers.

Comment

• core personal training
                        Editing a comment
                        yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew..!! the 508 has the same magic...just too small for me... i bury it on turns... your certainly light enough to go down if you felt a little too much resistance under foot, setting rail or controlling your arcs with the 510.... get it and shred it... then get a VG..!!.. the two best boards for virtually all waves out there...!!

Haha! Yeew indeed!! I ordered it in a 5'8" FST. Might take a little while to get to me because of that pesky thing called Christmas but hey, you win some you lose some. I am very excited though!! In regards to fins should I go sa1's or sa2's? Cheers.

Comment

futures only have the big size.. named sa3(thruster) and sa4(fourfinner).. comes now as a five fin set... if you went fcs?? then get the large, but i'm not sure its identical...

Comment

Working...
                        X