Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB thickness

Hi

Im riding a 5'8 hellfire and looking for a MB 5'10 and undecided with the thickness the thin or thick? I love the hellfire on mostly soft waves i ride especially during winter with the full5/4 with hod and gloves but wonder if the thinner MB will be better when i thin out the rubber or when i travel south in boardies Im 5'7 150 lbs(without wetsuit) intermediate i rode a few 24 ish volume board while travelling so i wonder if i should keep same volume than hellfire or go a bit lower as the hellfire is really versatile for most of my time at home.

I'd be looking at the thinner version if it's going to be a good wave board.

Comment

yeah they are both ripper boards, but yeah the thinner will be a bit more sensitive.

Regarding volume, i think its safe to say you want to be close to that of your hellfire. Its important to remember everyone has an ideal range, it doesn't have to be 1 single volume because, frankly, that's impractical. So i think the best thing you can do is weigh all the variables and move forward from there. at 27.2 in your hellfire and 25.8 in the thinner 510, i think you have to go thinner. I know I like less volume in my shortboards the nI do in my hybrids.....

hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks it help for sure the thinner seems better for all year surf especially while travel. I just cant make my mind about having more thickness on my high perf than my hybrid oh well if the thinner doesnt work i still can use my hellfire...:)

Comment

I also wonder how thick wetsuit affect the volume of the boards I surf in 45 degree(7C) in winter and around 57 in summer in Canada i just wonder with all the rubber how bigger my board should be.Did people keep the same board from boardie or 2 or 3mm suit to full survival kit?

Comment

I've never given it much thought but I suppose a full steamer wet has got to weigh around 3kg but they too seem to be getting lighter and lighter with the new neoprene advances and absorb less water and so on. In Sydney I guess we are lucky I've never worn anything thicker than 3mm as the water temperature rarely gets below about 16degC. There are days when the air is colder, especially early say around 5-7degC but by midmorning it would be back into double figures.

These new super quick drying wetsuits must work by not absorbing water in the first place so theoretically they should be around the same weight wet or dry and if that is around 2kg (guestimate) I don't know if it would make that much difference, unless you are already undervolumed to the point that go below the "critical floatation mark" (they ought to have Plimsoll marks on our wetties!).

Comment

hey bergie,
              I definitely am more comfortable on less volume in less neoprene. I am from maine and would surf in the full arsenal, and definitely wanted more volume than i do here in california. That being said, I ALWAYS buy boards to suit me at home because a trip is exactly that, a short trip. So if getting a liter or 2 extra means it might float a little more in warmer conditions, but that you'll have ripping sessions when it fires at home, I would buy the board for home ALL DAY!! Plus you'll be so familiar with it, I am sure it will go well for you on your trip.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                hey bergie,
                I definitely am more comfortable on less volume in less neoprene. I am from maine and would surf in the full arsenal, and definitely wanted more volume than i do here in california. That being said, I ALWAYS buy boards to suit me at home because a trip is exactly that, a short trip. So if getting a liter or 2 extra means it might float a little more in warmer conditions, but that you'll have ripping sessions when it fires at home, I would buy the board for home ALL DAY!! Plus you'll be so familiar with it, I am sure it will go well for you on your trip.

Cheers!
                Thanks Chris im totally between both volume so it will be a last minute decision Cleanline surfshop ordered both of them for me to choose so it's good. What is your position about going shorter or thinner with epoxy board should we lower a bit the volume on firewire becuse they are lighter and give more floatation?Thanks

Comment

treat as normal bergie...float is too close to worry about...

Comment

yeah core is right.

I would decide more based on whether you want the extra length in the rail of your high performance shortboard.

Comment

Hey there.. :) here is my question, after finding the alternator 6'0 a bit too thin for me (but the 6'2 too wide, stiff) and the Taj 6'2 too narrow in the tail... I have my hopes high on the thicker version of the Michel Bourez 6'0. I'm around 1.90 mt tall and weigh around 78-80 kilos. been surfing for 20 years, age 34, favourite boards have the following dims: 5'10 x 18' 3/4 x 2' 3/8; 6'0 x 18' 3/4 x 2' 3/8. But i have other boards (5'7, 5'11, 6'2, 6'4), but those are my main hi-perf sticks. Am i finally gonna get it right with the thicker MB? I luv the firewire materials, just need to get the right shape.. i'm getting tired of normal PU boards, cuz they are so fragil and don't last long.. and are still expensive. Greets from Portugal!

Comment

I'd be thinking about the thinner of the 6'0" MBs. It's going to pack more foam and have thicker rails than the 6'2" Taj you've surfed and fit right in dims wise with what you've been riding at 6'0" 18"3/4 2"3/8.
                        That said the 6'0" Alt is the same dims and you found that thin. Worth getting a comparison between the thinner MB and the Alt because I think the thicker version carries a fair bit more thickness than the Alternator.

Comment

the thicker version of the Michel doesn't have a ton more thickness, but it does bring a bit of volume out to the rails. we can get away with it because the board template and rocker profiles still allow for a progressive surfing style...

The alternator does have thinner rails but it also has a bump squash and flatter rocker so full rails would feel a bit more inhibiting!!

CHeers

Comment

Hey Chris

Not sure if you have answered this before but I am wondering if the thicker and thinner 6'2" has the same amount of rail and tail volume and that the added L are placed in the middle of the board?

Cheers,

Comment

Hey Chris! Are the rails on the MB are the same on both thin and thick version?

Comment

Working...
                              X