Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB 5'10" or 6'0" ?

Hey Guys,

I'm just trying to get a second opinion on what size MB board to buy. I'm 5'9" 170lbs and in good shape. Surfing skills around intermediate....maybe intermediate/advanced....idk. I currently have a 5'10" dominator however I was originally riding this board at 195lbs so yeah i'm 25lbs lighter and the board feels like a tank! Oh yeah I regularly surf the South Shore on Oahu. I guess I would like to have a shorter board like a 5'10" MB (27.2 ltr) but am concerned whether this is enough volume.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

The 5'10 will satisfy your needs very well
    If your Dom feels like a tank then the 6'0 Bourez will feel very similar
    Unless you have legs like Tom Carroll you will also find the 6'0 Bourez harder to turn

Comment

I'd put you on that thicker 5'10 MB at your weight surfing in boardshorts all year round. It'll be a big drop from your Dom though, but as you say at your current weight it's too much board.

Comment

Hi Wandi! I see you have a MB 6'0 which one you have thin or thick? How it works for you? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bergie View Post
          Hi Wandi! I see you have a MB 6'0 which one you have thin or thick? How it works for you? Thanks.
          To tell you the truth I should have gone with the thinner version but chose the thicker
          My little legs can't seem to get it going the way it deserves
          I'm 82 kg so should have gone less litres
          Have been surfing a lot so my fitness could warrant a lighter board
          Great shape though

Comment

its a board that suits power...ride it smaller than your hp board...or thinner...i was on the thicker 602...the shape is soooooo good, but i had to really push it...thinner version here in a few days....will pen a review of both thicknesses to give everyone an idea of the differences underfoot...should help with decisions in other sizes too hopefully......

Comment

Hey Core

Any chance you will be selling the thicker one? Should suit me well:-)

Comment

its already spoken for mate....gotta be quick around here....!!!!!

Comment

Arg, story of my life. Ha ha

Driving me crazy that it is still not available in Europe.

Comment

I am considering purchasing either 5'10 hellfire or 6'0 MB (thinner) for head high wave. As some of you have both board, please advise.
                    Which board do you think better for intermediate surfer? My concern is HF could be too much flotation and MB is too high performance for me.

I live in Japan and have been surf for 10 years (only on weekend)

Comment

you were thinking of it for you in heavy rubber weren't you....should support you well....even in my 3/2 steamer ( on a hot day for testing purposes) i was probably still only 92kg and it had more than enough buoyancy.....my call for full performance would be 95kg+....but then i like low volume so take that with a grain of salt.........it paddles like a speedboat and is stable on broken water takeoffs....hope you get them over there soon....
                      Last edited by core personal training; 05-03-2012, 05:34 AM. Reason: kant spel good

Comment

yuta...sounds like you need a hellfire or another board with a user friendly rocker.....post your height, weight, fitness and the wave shape your targeting etc...

Comment

Core, thanks for your reply.
                          I am 36 years old, 5'10, 68kg and average fitness. I have 5'2 sp, 5'8 dom and they float me OK.
                          I used to have 6'1 Taj also, but it was too high performance and I sold it.

Comment

ok so, lets rule out the MB for now as it is along the same lines as the taj....the hellfire will be easy to jump onto from the dom (similar rocker) but once on your feet will BLOW YOU AWAY.....you probably wont ride anything else...!!..will surf as hi-perf as you push it but behaves sedately and handles lesser waves too...if you want to get back to a 601 style board with a little more rocker for drops ( not an advanced taj rocker, dont worry) then go up one more notch in the dom's evolution and get the hellrazor...if you are happy with the buoyancy of the dom and dont feel the need to increase it then get a 510 hellfire...it is a MAGIC board...i ride it at my weight and Nev does too at similar height/weight to you... or a 601 razor if you can drop that small amount of volume....feel free to ask more questions...

Comment

Thanks, Core. Your information is very helpful and I decided to go for 5'10 hellfire.

Comment

Working...
                              X