Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i actually would say to go for the 602 thick!! I ride my shortboards 1-2" bigger than the Mini Driver. Plus it sounds like you won't be in super large surf all that often so you don't necessarily need the extra length of the 604. The 602 will also fit your heigh better.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for your help. Do you think 6'4'' MB would be too long for my hight?
      What would be the diference in surfing compared tomthe MD?
      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mrees View Post
        Chris just read this and thought you have just described, what to date, i have been unable to put into words. I find the exact same deal with the Hellfire. When the surf is on and has a bit of push it absolutley rips and i love it, but i have had to adjust and think about using my back foot differently. Not massively so but like you say i need to shift my weight back in order for it to click. I love the Hellfire and use it for the better bigger waves where i surf but it seems a little inconsistent for my liking especially when there is not much power in the wave and i am left thinking would i benefit or get more from a different high performance board? Just wondering if you could help me understand what this might mean about my style of surfing or if a different type of board would suit me better. I really get on with the Dom in smaller waves and it has worked for me well in the juice too but i seem to have trouble nailing something at the high perormance end. I did have a 600 Alternator but found it to have little less volume than i like but maybe that was because i was so used to riding the Dom at the time? I find myself considering swapping the 510 Hellfire for the 600 MB thick or the 601 Hellrazor but will consider any if they fit the bill. Anyone got any suggestions?
        I have also had a few dramas getting the Hellfire up and going in softer waves. It doesnt seem to come alive unless the waves have some power
        I also think you are on the right track and should consider sussing out the Hellrazor
        In my opinion the Razor is a good groveller especially if you use the right fins
        I was using the Slater quads plus the knubster
        One of the advantages of the Razor is the 5 fin option
        Definitely worth a look
        Last edited by Wandi; 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

spent today alternating 1 wave on spud next on hellfire..(and a few on a minimal..soul arches aplenty)....1 - 2 foot VERY weak surf...hellfire bounced and milked its way through them waiting for its chances to get "three to the beach"... if you ride it small, and off the back foot, and with SA3'S, it has a feather touch and can always find a way to throw spray....

Comment

Just saw this...
            I agree with Core....I'm 51, 175 intermediate. I ride a 6'4 Hellfire and found that if your fins are to big it gets real tracky. I first used the SA4's then when I switched them for the smaller large stretch fins, the board just opened up for me. I ride at Upper Trestles which is a reef break and somewhat slow but with the smaller fins the Hellfire works great....

Comment

it would be interesting to analyze how you guys surf who don't gel with the HF in lesser waves...are you leaning forward waiting for the wave to push??..or are you being pro-active and throwing it out from under you onto its rail and "throwing" it up to speed??.. i'm out with my back again, but limped out yesterday in junk (bad idea) with the MB and slowly and carefully crawled to my feet on two clean open drops... yes, i was able to take it easy and lean forward and let the wave do some work to help me, but the board by virtue of design was less than optimal if i wanted to risk my back and start throwing it around...true, the hellfire in this situation would not of let me get up slow while leaning over the nose and just stand there waiting for a push...but...if i was uninjured, would of run rings around a HP ... straight up onto the back foot and instant speed and freedom......if any of you guys have sussed how or why it is letting you down in junk, lets hear it...it will help other forum lurkers suss what boards suit their styles etc...also, are you guys riding it small enough..??..if you have to front foot it to dominate the nose then it may be too big...

Comment

i think hellfire success and failure is all about foot placement and center of gravity. I think the curve of the board and the rail to rail tendencies resulting from the bottom contour make it great for some and more difficult for others.

I seem to think if you like loading up on your front foot, the hellfire likely won't feel as fast for you. If you get your weight back and are used to using rail and positioning on the wave to manage speed, you'll like the Hellfire better...

Comment

Working...
                X